Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,424 times

Advertisements

My husband and i have been wanting to plan a trip to Austin and check it out, and we got on the subject of Sex Offenders, and i logged onto the State of Texas Public Safety site, and put in a few cities...........I WAS SHOCKED to see the amount of sex offenders in some areas, that i do not believe the population is very high.

Dripping Springs only had 2, Georgetown & round rock, HIGH numbers for the amount of people that live there. Then if you got to Buda, Kyle it was scary.

Can ANYONE tell me about Texas laws for these crimes? What is up with this?? I have 3 small kids, and it something to think about when relocating to a new area, especially one that has been raved about??

I am really concerned now, HELP!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 01:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Don't come to Texas.... it's all just a bunch of child molestors! RUN! HIDE!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 AM

575 posts, read 2,496,397 times
I am no expert, but I believe TX tows a hard line on relationships with a girl under 18, say 16, and a boyfriend over 18, say 19. A successful prosecution ends with the man registering as a sex offender.

Last time this topic came up, those types of registrations were not insignificant. Just a thought. If they say what it is for, look for statutory crimes.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:00 AM

609 posts, read 2,118,419 times
Texas has over 45000 registered sex offenders. I am not sure how that compares to other places per capita.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:54 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
Sex offenders / sick people everywhere. Lot's of perverts every where in every State!! Just stop being a worry rat and come to Austin. Just keeping being a mom and watch over your kids, they will then not become a predator to them sicko's!
Overall, in the 11 yrs I been here, we all feel safe!

I have a CHGL, if I see anyone mess w/ my kids w/ me around, you better believe they will be protected. Gosh I love Texas laws!! Safety is 1st priority!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 AM

119 posts, read 456,973 times
I look at the registry too but I have a HUGE problem with them putting an 18 yr old as a sex offender for having sex with his/her bf or gf that is not 18 years old. There are also a ton of little teenage girls that act and look a lot older, lie about their age, and it's getting these men in trouble. THAT is NOT a sex offender. It's a huge insult to the people that are victims of an actual sex offender.

That being said, the nutcase sex offenders are all over the place and until they get nasty and firm with them (which they don't), it's not going to change. It may never change. We just have to be very watchful over our children.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
and omg think about all those here who haven't registered!! Or haven't committed the crimes but are thinking about it!!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
My husband and i have been wanting to plan a trip to Austin and check it out, and we got on the subject of Sex Offenders, and i logged onto the State of Texas Public Safety site, and put in a few cities...........I WAS SHOCKED to see the amount of sex offenders in some areas, that i do not believe the population is very high.

Dripping Springs only had 2, Georgetown & round rock, HIGH numbers for the amount of people that live there. Then if you got to Buda, Kyle it was scary.

Can ANYONE tell me about Texas laws for these crimes? What is up with this?? I have 3 small kids, and it something to think about when relocating to a new area, especially one that has been raved about??

I am really concerned now, HELP!!!!!!
I brought this up a few months ago and was accused of being alarmist by a few people:

Sex Offenders?

It didn't really freak me out, but it was sort of odd how the numbers seemed skewed compared to other cities of the same and/or different populations. The consensus then seemed to be, as the other poster mentioned, that Texas is possibly too harsh in cases where say, the boyfriend is 19 and the girlfriend is 16, something happens between them, parents get involved etc... There's a lot that can go wrong in a scenario like that. Also there are around 100,000 students here most of the year and sex crimes are often reported on/near campuses.

The way some people react when this subject is brought up seems kind of defensive to me. Like some sort of indictment on their town I think it's a legit question, though it didn't stop me and my wife from coming here. I certainly don't think there are "Aqualung" types lurking around every schoolyard looking to catch kids and/or grab women. Texas is a big place, so numbers may appear out of balance at first glance.

I think the more useful stat would be the number of actual sex crimes committed/reported in Austin compared to other cities of similar size. That might support the previous theory of over-charged offenders.

In case you didn't get the Aqualung reference:
Attached Thumbnails
This was alarming to ma, as I searched the Sex Offender database....-aqualung.jpg  

Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Personally, I am concerned about the neighborhood I am buying a house in, and around the school (in my case, there is none living or working anywhere around us). I can't control the rest of Round Rock, so my job as a parent is to not make it easy for "those types". My kids don't leave my sight when we are out shopping, and when they are out playing, people are with them. We also have often and open discussions about how they would handle themselves in various situations. When there are incidents of attempted abductions, like over on the west side, not too long ago - we talk about it, what happened, how the person looked and acted, and how our son should handle himself if he was confronted with that.

I think that's all you can do.

I don't think Round Rock, Georgetown, or Austin proper for that matter, have sex offenders running rampant.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
We also have often and open discussions about how they would handle themselves in various situations. When there are incidents of attempted abductions, like over on the west side, not too long ago - we talk about it, what happened, how the person looked and acted, and how our son should handle himself if he was confronted with that.

I think that's all you can do.
I agree. If you overemphasize it, kids will stop listening and will be off their guard. Growing up, I remember all kinds of safety tips etc...about how to behave when approached by a stranger. It always alarms me when I see kids that seem to be too unaware when they're out and about. Something lacking in the home I think...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin