Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Only page?
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:31 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
To be honest, if you want the hilliest area with the most foilage, then the area west of 360 on 2244 is the most scenic area. The area along Comanche Trail and Lake Travis probably also qualifies as one of the most scenic areas in the Hill Country.

If you want something a little more "in the country", then I'd say Inks Lake State Park. Go to the Devils Cove area and hike around, it's absolutely beautiful.

In general, the further west from Austin you get, the drier it is and thus the trees are more stunted. We are thus at the area with the tallest trees. We also get erosion from the Colorado River and the various creeks (Barton Creek, Bull Creek, etc...) that our scenery is really among the best. This is from trying to drive west from here and trying to find more scenic areas and usually becoming disappointed.

I do find the Enchanted Rock area pretty as well and like I said Inks Lake. Those areas have the granite outcroppings not just the limestone that Austin has and I find the granite quite attractive. Inks Lake has it all with granite outcroppings, a constant level lake (never declines because Lake Buchanan is drained to keep Inks Lake constant), and a fairly rugged area with large trees.

Another option is other areas along the Balcones fault line, like Gruene, San Marcos, etc... Plenty of springs and nice foilage along with plenty of hills caused by erosion from streams...

Old 05-26-2014, 09:01 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Around the 360 loop has some great scenic spots, especially around the FM 2222 area by the county line. I love traveling around that area.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
I want to see pics people!

I remember a scenic drive up a hill and overlooking a gorgeous lake with homes on the hills. I think it was near marble falls but it looked like the OC or something.

Anyone have any pics of that stuff?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
E rock

Inks

Austin

Tons of really pretty scenic spots in the area, but not much in the way of sweeping, panoramic views IMO. Gotta go to Big Bend for that

Old 05-27-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I want to see pics people!

I remember a scenic drive up a hill and overlooking a gorgeous lake with homes on the hills. I think it was near marble falls but it looked like the OC or something.

Anyone have any pics of that stuff?
Go into Google Maps for the area you are interested in.

Click on the three little up arrows in the lower right hand corner and it shows you photos of places inside the map area that you see on your screen. Let the pointer arrow hoover over any photo and it will show you where the photo was taken. Click on one of those photos and it will show you more photos of that area.

You can also drag the little orange man near the lower right corner onto any public road in the area and it will put you into street view where you can rotate or move up and down the road to see what the area looks like.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 PM

Pedernales Falls State Park

https://www.google.com/search?q=pede...&bih=671&dpr=2

Devil's Backbone, Texas

http://www.myscenicdrives.com/drives...evils-backbone

https://www.google.com/search?q=devi...w=1249&bih=671

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-27-2014 at 02:32 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
The drive from Bandera to Leakey offers probably some of the best wide open vistas and dramatic hills in the state...Ranch Road 337 is often listed as one of the top motorcycle and scenic routes in the country. You can get to Bandera in less than 2 hours from Austin...then the drive to Leakey is another hour to 1.5 hours.

Also, it sounds like you are doing this drive soon but if you go in late Fall (late October/November) Lost Maples state park is a must see along that route...beautiful fall colors against a hill country setting.

Ranch to Market Road 337 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
To me, the most dramatic elevations and views are in the Bandera/Lost Maples/Leakey area. Views like this one off 337: Panoramio - Photo of Hill Country Blues
I agree most with these. The Western part of the hill country from the Western half of Bandera county, through all of Real county, and into the Southeastern part of Edwards county has the most dramatic, rugged, and "hilliest" scenery anywhere in the hill country. The hills reach their greatest base-to-peak heights here, and there are some really "big" views.

Enchanted Rock is beautiful as a stand-alone attraction, but just doesn't compare to the drive along 337.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,952 times
Garner State Park area.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:19 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
1376 which is off of 290 by Fredricksburg. Takes you thru Lunkenbach, Sisterdale then turn onto 473 toward Comfort andvthe Bat tunnel ( old San Antonio rd)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin