Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One thing you can do if you are the forgetful type is to buy bulk plastic grocery bags. They go for about $20 per 1000 bags. Leave that in your car and if caught without a bag, just tell the cashier to "Wait, I have a bag in the car. I'll be right back."

Now I don't do food shopping in Austin (and that is why I didn't vote the poll), but if this spreads to more cities then this is exactly what I will do.
Why not just leave some reusable bags in your car? That's what we do. We keep two in each vehicle just in case we forget to grab our "real" reusable bags when we go shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Why not just leave some reusable bags in your car? That's what we do. We keep two in each vehicle just in case we forget to grab our "real" reusable bags when we go shopping.
Well once I bring them in I usually wash them and then forget to put them back in the truck.
I do remember them more than I forget them, but I do forget them every now and then.

I need more than 2 bags for food shopping.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 AM

176 posts, read 357,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
just a small point, water is a renewable resource.
If water is a renewable resource, then what if the water restrictions for?

More people will be washing the so called reusable bags. And most washing machines only use the same water line from where we drink from. I don't think I want bloody meat juice stains on my clothes, nor wash in once used water with traces of harmful bacteria.

The point is they should upgrade technology to allow for decomposition of plastic bags, and give credits for bringing your own bag of 10-25 cents if you don't use the regular plastic bags.

Moderator cut: off topic and inappropriate language

Last edited by Debsi; 08-22-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveCassettes View Post
More people will be washing the so called reusable bags. And most washing machines only use the same water line from where we drink from. I don't think I want bloody meat juice stains on my clothes, nor wash in once used water with traces of harmful bacteria.
Wut?

No one is banning the bags for meat or produce. If you bother to put your meat in those, you won't have an issue with leaks. Regardless, you can get reusable bags from both Central Market, Whole Foods, and pretty much any retailer that are made out of recycled plastics. You can just wipe them down with a Clorox wipe and be done with it.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Debsi; 08-22-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
There are additives that can make plastic more degradable, but not biodegradable. Degradable just means that it will break into small pieces - not a good solution. Biodegradable means that it will revert to the chemicals from which it was made, not just break into pieces. The plastics in normal bags cannot be made to be biodegradable (which could also be called compostable.) There are some bags that are compostable because they are made from corn products and other starches, but I have never seen those used in grocery stores. I would think they would be more expensive.
I have seen companies who say their additive makes plastic/bags *biodegradable* in landfill environs -- the exact word they use. Are you saying this is false on their part? I'm not taking sides, just truly curious.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM

178 posts, read 458,987 times
We mostly use the reusable bags but eventually build up a small stockpile of the single use and dry cleaning bags which we deposit in the recycle bin that is in front of every grocery we shop at, but I'm wondering if they really get recycled. I even take a reusable into the liquor store, saves the heartbreak of 3/4 liter bottle of tequila soaking into my driveway - you can guess how I know.

Poking around on the 'net it appears that the US uses about 12 million barrels of oil a year to make the bags, another 17 million is used for plastic bottles, mostly water and soft drinks. Wonder if they will be next on the hit list. I'll bet there were a bunch of water bottles on the council desks while they were voting on the bag ban.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I have seen companies who say their additive makes plastic/bags *biodegradable* in landfill environs -- the exact word they use. Are you saying this is false on their part? I'm not taking sides, just truly curious.
Well, new things are being developed all the time, so I will not pretend to know plastic science like an expert - perhaps there are some new techniques at this point. My main point is that a package that says "degradable" is basically greenwashing, trying to trick you into thinking this will biodegrade. So we need to see "biodegradable" or "compostable" on packaging. Even then, these do not always degrade. You know those potato starch based spoons and forks we sometimes get in restaurants? They are compostable, but if we just throw them into the trash, they will not biodegrade, as the landfills are anaerobic settings that don't allow for composting. They would need to go into a true composting situation (which includes oxygenation in some form) in order to break down to constituents, which is what we want. I think there is a lot of trickery out there. Companies want us to believe that we can hardly change our old consumption patterns and still be green. Many times, it isn't true at all.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
We mostly use the reusable bags but eventually build up a small stockpile of the single use and dry cleaning bags which we deposit in the recycle bin that is in front of every grocery we shop at, but I'm wondering if they really get recycled. I even take a reusable into the liquor store, saves the heartbreak of 3/4 liter bottle of tequila soaking into my driveway - you can guess how I know.

Poking around on the 'net it appears that the US uses about 12 million barrels of oil a year to make the bags, another 17 million is used for plastic bottles, mostly water and soft drinks. Wonder if they will be next on the hit list. I'll bet there were a bunch of water bottles on the council desks while they were voting on the bag ban.

I always wonder about this, too. Even if you always use re-usable bags (and I even use re-usable produce bags,) you will build up some plastic from things like bags of potatoes, dry cleaning, etc. I always wonder if HEB actually does recycle those bags.

As for the water bottles, you are right that this is another big challenge. But one thing at a time is better than no action at all.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Even if you always use re-usable bags (and I even use re-usable produce bags,) you will build up some plastic from things like bags of potatoes, dry cleaning, etc. I always wonder if HEB actually does recycle those bags.
There are reusable produce bags that have a built in cinch tie. CM sells them. I don't use them for wet produce like lettuce that is constantly sprayed down or meat but they are perfect for potatoes, onions, apples, oranges, etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
There are biodegradable plastics that WF has been experimenting with; in fact, a co-worker was hired to do some research into the various options. Long story short, issues such as shelf life, strength, and cost all need to be addressed, but there is definitely progress being made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin