Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 09:38 AM

145 posts, read 250,805 times

Advertisements

I hope someone can save me some research, time and effort. Wife is contiplating an offer at Seton Hospital located in Austin. It is the campus that is actually in Austin the best I can tell. We would be relocating from the NE and have (3) kids, one in middle school, one in elementary and one in High School. We will be looking to rent at first then buy with a price range of about $280k for a four bedrrom.

What is the best area we can live and put our kids in school considering where my wife will work????? I have been researching Round Rock and all other areas.

My concern is the BEST schooling for our kids and a resonable commute for the wife... Your thoughts and advice PLEASE....I would like a little land if possible, but am not opposed to the master planned type communties. I think wife would sacrafice a little longer commute to have the peace of mind kids are well schooled....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Which Seton location will she be working at? That will impact the advice given.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:57 PM

145 posts, read 250,805 times
Seton Hospital, Austin 120 West 38th St. by Rosedale it looks???Thanks for any information. Again schools is our No. 1, next commute then nice home for $250k - $280k Thank you.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:41 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Depending on the shift she works will make a big difference in her commute. The usual morning & evening rush hour traffic is terrible getting into & out of that area.
Also the single family housing prices in that part of town are not inexpensive, but it may be possible to rent a place that's not beyond your means.

For $250K+ the 'burbs like Round Rock, Cedar Park, & Leander will be the place to look. Schools are pretty good there for the most part.

Here's a new planned community just opening in far northwest Austin between Round Rock & Cedar Park:

http://www.pearsonplaceataveryranch.com/

The prices will start at your number.

But here in the Brushy Creek area west of Round Rock there are quite a few "used" homes available starting in the lower $200Ks.

Here are some for sale in my neighborhood:

http://www.trulia.com/TX/Austin,1175..._Brushy_Creek/

Last edited by ScoPro; 09-20-2012 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 02:57 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Depending on the shift she works will make a big difference in her commute. The usual morning & evening rush hour traffic is terrible getting into & out of that area.
A nurse working a typical 7-7 12 hour shift won't have any traffic issues for the most part. As long as she's getting in ~6:30-6:40 to start a shift, she should be fine. If she's an educator or something of the sort working an 8-5, then that's a different story.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
For $250K+ the 'burbs like Round Rock, Cedar Park, & Leander will be the place to look. Schools are pretty good there for the most part.

Here's a new planned community just opening in far northwest Austin between Round Rock & Cedar Park:

About Pearson Place

The prices will start at your number.

But here in the Brushy Creek area west of Round Rock there are quite a few "used" homes available starting in the lower $200Ks.

Here are some for sale in my neighborhood:

Meadows Of Brushy Creek Real Estate & Meadows Of Brushy Creek Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Good info, especially once the O'Connor extension is completed. I wonder if Highland Horizon will have anything in that range.

Pearson Place could be an answer, but it would be a while, I reckon. The first batch of homes will be the $400K+ group from what I can tell. They're moving along right skippy, but OP and family would likely need to rent until spring/summer for PP. I wouldn't expect anything new to have any 'land' to speak of, unless it's one of those funny corner lots or something backing to greenspace.

Even the west side of Avery Ranch would work with easy access to 183 and pretty darned good schools. Again, the commute times would be a factor...wouldn't want to drive in each day at typical rush hour.

Naturally, we all think 'closer is better', but the price range and school requirements pose some challenges to locating much closer in, I reckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin