Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,351 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and i are confident that we will find work within three months of moving to Austin. We have enough savings to cover us that long. The problem: no one will rent to us without jobs and the fair credit we have. I have had it suggested to me that we forge pay stubs. I'm just not comfortable with breaking the law... Anyone else been through this? Keep in mind, we have a 15 month old and a cat so, couch surfing or renting a room in a house are not viable options for us. Is it common for employers (blue collar types) to hire people from out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Do you mind if I ask why you are relocating to Austin?

If you don't HAVE to move, I would suggest staying put, saving some more money, and building up your credit.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:12 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Get a google voice 512 phone number and apply for jobs out here.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinMadre View Post
My fiancé and i are confident that we will find work within three months of moving to Austin. We have enough savings to cover us that long. The problem: no one will rent to us without jobs and the fair credit we have. I have had it suggested to me that we forge pay stubs. I'm just not comfortable with breaking the law... Anyone else been through this? Keep in mind, we have a 15 month old and a cat so, couch surfing or renting a room in a house are not viable options for us. Is it common for employers (blue collar types) to hire people from out of state?
Are you saying that you have applied to rent places and been rejected? Or is it just an assumption that no one will rent to you?

If you have that much saved up and can put down a substantial security deposit you should be able to find a place to rent. Perhaps you should move here and stay in an extended stay place for a week or so while you pound the streets for any jobs you can find. Even if it means working at a fast food restaurant for a month or two while you look for something else. That way you will have both money in a savings account you can show to the landlord and a job or two even if it is not the greatest one.

If you have a job where you are it may be better for one of you to come to Austin and try to find a job and establish a beachhead here, while the other one stays where you are.

If you can't afford better, you could camp at McKinney Falls State Park Campsites — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department it is on the East Edge of the Austin city limits. Campsites $15-$24/night. The park has restrooms and showers. Screened Shelters are $40/night + enterance fee and have hot & cold water, outdoor grill and electric hook up. Temperatures are pretty comfortable for sleeping outdoors right now, low of 62.

Get a post office box for a mailing address.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-27-2012 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM

18 posts, read 38,120 times
There are a number of extended stay places and a youth hostel as well where you can rent by the week.

Be aware that the job market is good if you are young and tech-savvy but not nearly so good if you are over 40 and not on the edge of hot new trends in technology and certain other fields. The job market is also fine for ppl who have good customer service experience in restaurants or nice hotels and for folks in the medical fields.

Blue collar employers usually want to hire in-person although they might take initial apps over the internet. Usually there are aptitude tests and drug screens that have to be done in-person.

Austin isn't THAT great for blue collar work although there is more construction than in many parts of the country. Keep in mind that there are about 100 days/year of 100-degree weather in this part of Texas and construction workers are usually out in it....

Austin's job market is excellent for tech-savvy folks in their 20s or 30s who work with apps, social media, marketing etc.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Ask one of your parents to be the "Guarantor" on the lease. Then it doesn't matter if you have jobs or not because the apartment or landlord can rely on your parents to pay the rent.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. We want to leave Portland because we have had enough of the long rainy season, the jobs are scarce, and it's getting to be too expensive. Plus, I have family outside of Lubbock and they also want to relocate to Austin. Another factor is to move while we have the money.

Both of my fiancé's parents are deceased so using them as a guarantor isn't an option. My Dad lost everything during the recession and is barely scraping by so, he can't help either.

We are in our mid-30's and not in the tech industry (or any of the others mentioned). We are fine with getting whatever work we can, but have to make 3x the rent to qualify somewhere and that doesn't sound possible from the low wages I see on job boards. I'm starting to think Austin isn't going to work out as much as we think we will love it there...

Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. We want to leave Portland because we have had enough of the long rainy season, the jobs are scarce, and it's getting to be too expensive. Plus, I have family outside of Lubbock and they also want to relocate to Austin. Another factor is to move while we have the money.

Both of my fiancé's parents are deceased so using them as a guarantor isn't an option. My Dad lost everything during the recession and is barely scraping by so, he can't help either.

We are in our mid-30's and not in the tech industry (or any of the others mentioned). We are fine with getting whatever work we can, but have to make 3x the rent to qualify somewhere and that doesn't sound possible from the low wages I see on job boards. I'm starting to think Austin isn't going to work out as much as we think we will love it there...
Check out West TX (Odessa/Midland). TONS of really good paying blue-collar jobs. Housing can be a bit tough, but it's a great starting point to roll into a San Antonio/Houston job.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 AM

59 posts, read 116,505 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. We want to leave Portland because we have had enough of the long rainy season, the jobs are scarce, and it's getting to be too expensive...
I have a cousin in Portland and was comparing apartment rents in Austin and Portland, and they seem to be similar, with Austin being slightly higher than Portland. I would not expect living expenses in Austin to be substantially lower than Portland, add to that the abysmal public transportation system which will pretty much require you to own at least one car, maybe even two, and you might end up spending more here than in Portland ...

I am sure many here in Austin would take some of the Portland rain, the heat from April through October (with June through September being near unbearable to me) can get to you as much as the rain in Portland does. I have a few friends who love the oven like temperatures in the summer, but for most people it's a little too much for way too long a period of time ...

Take that into consideration before spending all your savings on a move to a place you are not familiar with without a job ...

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 AM

I suppose we were assuming Austin was more like Portland (culturally) than it is. When I look on Craig's list all I find are corporate owned apartment complexes or houses rented through a management company/real estate agency. Out here there are many houses for rent by the owner who one can build a relationship with and gain approval without meeting the strict income guidelines of managed properties. A friend of mine here is also moving across country (North Carolina) and had already found a house, signed the lease, and is moving November 1st. They don't have jobs or near the savings we do. They also have a child and a cat.

We aren't interested in living anywhere else in Texas, honestly. We are already uncomfortable with Austin being in Texas (no offense, just not a type culture we fit into).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin