Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 AM

43 posts, read 170,439 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if this is a good time to install new sod and sprinklers in the Round Rock area. I know that winter is not too far so I'm going back and forth on if I am better-off deferring this to next Spring instead of now.

Looking forward for suggestions..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM

83 posts, read 201,360 times
I think it depends on the type of grass you're getting--check the individual types that are suited for Central TX. As far as other plantings it's usually best to put in large bushes and trees in dormant mode which is fall after the leaves have dropped from trees.

You might wish to reconsider getting grass though. Many predict recurring drought and despite the rain we've recently gotten, most of the lakes are still low. If there's a drought or threat of one, your local water municipality won't let you irrigate during the summer months and that makes it pretty tough on a new lawn.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Spring and early fall at the best times in order to give the roots time to establish. You could probably still do it now, if you had a lot of bare dirt you wanted to cover, but unless there is a pressing reason to do so, I'd wait until spring (as soon as the sod starts to green up). Put some money into improving the soil before you put the sod down, it will give you a stronger lawn and lower watering costs in the heat of summer. Check out the "Grow Green" lawn care guide here for some good advice on selecting a drought tolerant lawn and other recommendations. http://austintexas.gov/department/grow-green-resources

It would definitely be a good idea to put as much of the yard as possible into drought tolerant landscaping and mulched beds, minimizing the amount of sod that has to be watered. Add some trees to shade the really hot areas that are likely to burn otherwise in the summer heat.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,074 times
Can anyone recommend cheap bermuda sod??, I need to buy 20 pallets...thanks in advance

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fta123 View Post
Can anyone recommend cheap bermuda sod??, I need to buy 20 pallets...thanks in advance
Not a great choice around here. Consider zoysia or buffalo grass.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrix View Post
You might wish to reconsider getting grass though. Many predict recurring drought and despite the rain we've recently gotten, most of the lakes are still low. If there's a drought or threat of one, your local water municipality won't let you irrigate during the summer months and that makes it pretty tough on a new lawn.
I agree.

We're seeing more non-lawn landscapes popping up in yards around town, and a friend of mine who owns a landscaping company is installing a lot more of the "SW Desert" style yards that you see in New Mexico and Arizona. These require essentially no active watering. In El Paso, it's now law that all new homes have xeriscaped front yards (grass is allowed in back). I think it won't be long (3 to 5 years) before we see local municipalities adopting similar rules.

That said, if you do want to plant sod, the best time is Spring, right after the last seasonal freeze.

Steve

Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I agree.

We're seeing more non-lawn landscapes popping up in yards around town, and a friend of mine who owns a landscaping company is installing a lot more of the "SW Desert" style yards that you see in New Mexico and Arizona. These require essentially no active watering. In El Paso, it's now law that all new homes have xeriscaped front yards (grass is allowed in back). I think it won't be long (3 to 5 years) before we see local municipalities adopting similar rules.

That said, if you do want to plant sod, the best time is Spring, right after the last seasonal freeze.

Steve
We're not New Mexico and Arizona nor are we El Paso. We're not in the middle of the Chihuahuan desert and there is no need for such codes. There are plenty of grasses that don't require intensive water use. The key here in Austin is selection.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
We're not New Mexico and Arizona nor are we El Paso. We're not in the middle of the Chihuahuan desert and there is no need for such codes. There are plenty of grasses that don't require intensive water use. The key here in Austin is selection.
We're in restricted water use (water once a week) for most of the past 2 or 3 years now. At some ponts during that time, some communities, such as Buda, restricted ALL watering, period. That's the reality of it. I'm just commenting on what I see on the ground, out in the real world, and there is in fact a notable, voluntary shift that is happening toward non-grass landscapes due to:
1) An awareness that it's harder to keep a lawn alive with less watering.
2) Increasing costs of watering.

Also, less commonly known, is that water is much more scarce a resource going forward than most have acknowledged. If my yard dies again, like it did a couple of years ago, I'm not going to replant it like I did, I'm going to switch to something that doesn't need watering.

I'm not saying the OP "should" do this, but simply that it should be something to think about if it wasn't already.

Steve

Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM

78 posts, read 199,486 times
I would defer planting until spring. This gives you more time to do research on this type of project which may result in a better understanding of how your yard works. Your yard is an investment and your money should be spent wisely.

Here is Austin Water's Xeriscape Plant List: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...t_09-14-12.pdf

This is a great list to start your search with. Also, xeriscaping is not a rock garden.

As for you irrigation system, there are a number of factors. Ask the installer about the desired uniformity of the system, make sure it is hydrozoned, and ensure the sprinkler heads are operating at the right pressure. The design alone and reduce the amount of water needed for watering by +25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin