Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:21 PM

113 posts, read 208,728 times

Advertisements

You know what.. I am 100% going to look into porcelain wood-look tile for my next rehab. Will go into a rental. Seems to me it (i) looks sharp, (ii) less maintenance, (iii) more durability. I would only consider it for a 1-story rental, however. And will go with different tiles for the wet areas (kitchen/bathrooms) to keep a two-tone look. I figure renters may like (i) less risk of damaging floors + (ii) coolness in Austin heat.

For my own house though, I am sticking with wood

This brings up the original question, however -- what is best for RESALE value??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 03:27 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,402,019 times
Resale is eye of the beholder or buyer. I'd think the "porcelain wood" is probably your best bet, since it delivers both - would it deliver an actual ROI? No clue.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
Even central austin isn't solely pier and beam and it's a pretty narrow slice that is anyway. It's odd, actually - I've known people who've lived literally blocks apart and one was pier and beam and the other had a slab. There's comparatively little housing stock that's left from pre-1950 which is why generally speaking solid wood isn't an option. And yeah, if you were on cedar stumps... probably not an option then either. Yikes!

Go back in time and give yourself a hard pinch in the arm for not choosing solid wood though

The majority of those floors over on the west side that are pier & beam with a crawl space, don't have subfloors. The 33/32 flooring is direct blind nailed to the joist.

Some you look in the crawl space and you can see the cupped boards, but it has been sanded flat, and the wood always lives in that state of moisture gradient, so it never shows signs of cupping.
The droughts and prolong periods between rain, and you may see a plain sawn board crown.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:03 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,902,803 times
Here's my 2 cents. If you look at older homes in Austin, the ones with the "quarry tile" are the ones that are highly desireable.

My belief is that the homes with tiled floors will be highly desireable in the future, and they are quite hardy as well so guaranteed to hold up. Solid wood will also hold up.

Everything else is just a temporary fad and will be replaced in 10 years.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:29 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,377,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
Even central austin isn't solely pier and beam and it's a pretty narrow slice that is anyway. It's odd, actually - I've known people who've lived literally blocks apart and one was pier and beam and the other had a slab. There's comparatively little housing stock that's left from pre-1950 which is why generally speaking solid wood isn't an option. And yeah, if you were on cedar stumps... probably not an option then either. Yikes!
We're on cedar stumps with original heartwood pine floors. They definitely shift a little bit from season to season!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,653,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Thanks for the comments. No, I'm not the type who likes two story foyers, double staircases, or smug replies to earnest questions.
I second that.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,653,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCucumber View Post
You know what.. I am 100% going to look into porcelain wood-look tile for my next rehab. Will go into a rental. Seems to me it (i) looks sharp, (ii) less maintenance, (iii) more durability. I would only consider it for a 1-story rental, however. And will go with different tiles for the wet areas (kitchen/bathrooms) to keep a two-tone look. I figure renters may like (i) less risk of damaging floors + (ii) coolness in Austin heat.

For my own house though, I am sticking with wood

This brings up the original question, however -- what is best for RESALE value??
I've seen VERY nice porcelain wood-look tile at floor and decor and have seen it on a few high end home blogs. The idea isn't to pass as real wood but more of a faux-bois look. It is really nice (when done well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin