Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 05:58 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,631 times

Advertisements

Yeah. It's so busy nobody goes there anymore.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
All I keep seeing is people complaining about the "crowds". Oh the big bad crowds. If one does not like being near a lot of people, one should refrain from moving to a city.
And I didn't move to a city. Unfortunately, enough people who wanted to live in a city moved to where I lived and turned it into what they wanted, not what the people already living here (with some exceptions) wanted. So your argument doesn't fly.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And I didn't move to a city. Unfortunately, enough people who wanted to live in a city moved to where I lived and turned it into what they wanted, not what the people already living here (with some exceptions) wanted. So your argument doesn't fly.
Yep. When Sis moved back to the Austin area over 30 years ago, she was out in a bedroom community south of Austin (Kyle-Wimberley-Buda-Mountain City.

I visit by car every so often, and I barely recognized the subdivision when I was last there in 2007 because it just grows like a weed between visits.

I missed the turnoff, and had to backtrack to find it in the mess. Forget about getting in and out of the development during either rush hour. Everything in the area is just running together these days.

She doesn't think it's so wonderful with the wall-to-wall people now.

Neither does this small-town desert rat....

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,764,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Love the revisionist history.

Austin was a thriving metropolis with a great downtown back when they built the Diskill and Paramount, etc.

Then the boomers nearly killed it and did everything in their power to turn Austin into Houston. Now downtown Austin has been rescued from neglect and tragic misallocatin of resources. Most of those bitter boomers have moved out to some far flung suburb but still ruminate about how great Austin was back in the day...the ones who stayed get it and love it.

The people who truly love Austin live in Austin. I have little time, patience and no respect for the generation who created the horrific sprawl that now surrounds and chokes the city and then bitterly talks about how no one goes down town anymore because its too crowded.

You want to know Austin's history..look at the Driskill. Built in a time where Austin was thriving, neglected by the so called greatest generation and left to decay and rot by the boomers in the 1970s - early 1990s while they built their McMansions in the suburbs. it was rediscovered and revitalized by a new generation who rejects the dementia that gripped the country that is finally slipping away.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Love the revisionist history.

Austin was a thriving metropolis with a great downtown back when they built the Diskill and Paramount, etc.

Then the boomers nearly killed it and did everything in their power to turn Austin into Houston. Now downtown Austin has been rescued for neglect and tragic misallocatin of resources. Most of those bitter boomers have moved out to some far flung suburb but still ruminate about how great Austin was back in the day...

The people who truly love Austin live in Austin. I have little time, patience and no respect for the generation who created the horrific sprawl that now surrounds and chokes the city and then bitterly talks about how no one goes down town anymore because its too crowded.
The whole downtown piece of that is true. DT Austin and the surrounding area is light years cooler, more diverse and attractive for multiple age groups/desires than it ever has been.

That said,
The whole deriding people for an address thing is so elitist and tired. I mean, you couldn't even step up to the task of identifying properties inside or outside of your narrow reality. Perhaps because not all that is "Austin" resides, grows or is present within those myopic walls?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
The whole downtown piece of that is true. DT Austin and the surrounding area is light years cooler, more diverse and attractive for multiple age groups/desires than it ever has been.

That said,
The whole deriding people for an address thing is so elitist and tired. I mean, you couldn't even step up to the task of identifying properties inside or outside of your narrow reality. Perhaps because not all that is "Austin" resides, grows or is present within those myopic walls?
Living in central Texas=\=living in Austin. I get tired of hearing crap from denizens of Cedar Park and Georgetown, Hutto and Buda talk about how crowded Austin is (no one goes there anymore).

Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM

Obviously, you don't know your Yogi Berra. It was a joke.

Central Austin is really far from crowded in the grand sceme of things. Can you drive in, park in front of wherever and just roll in? No, you take a cab or the lightrail or bike so you can knock back a few and not worry.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you don't know your Yogi Berra. It was a joke.

Central Austin is really far from crowded in the grand sceme of things. Can you drive in, park in front of wherever and just roll in? No, you take a cab or the lightrail or bike so you can knock back a few and not worry.
1. Uh, read me again, obviously I'm in on the joke.

2. What light rail? Ou mean the commuter diesel to Leander??? That's not light rail.

3. Anyway, I'm of the opinion Austin is to nearly crowded enough. As for parking, that is a complete joke. As long as people don't mind pulling into a garage and paying a few bucks there is ample parking for everyone. The days of having free street parking available to all are gone and good riddance. Surface parking lots and plethora of street parking coincided with few businesses and no life.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
What light rail?

Anyway, I'm of the opinion Austin is to nearly crowded enough. As for parking, that is a complete joke. As long as people don't mind pulling into a garage and paying a few bucks there is ample parking for everyone. The days of having free street parking available to all are gone and good riddance. Surface parking lots and plethora of street parking coincided with few businesses and no life.
The weak excuse for lightrail we have does drop you at the convention center. From there, you can walk or pedicab it to your destination.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
The weak excuse for lightrail we have does drop you at the convention center. From there, you can walk or pedicab it to your destination.
That's not light rail. That is heavy track diesel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin