Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Austin ban smoking on bar patios and rooftops?
Yes, ban smoking from patios 50 51.55%
No, leave the decision to the owners and patrons 47 48.45%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrebel View Post
So is the City lying when they say second hand smoke is just as dangerous outside as it is inside?
Maybe not intentionally lying. But they are using the issue of second hand smoke to apply more control. They haven't cited any scientific data to make their point. I believe, until presented data otherwise, that the density ("particles per million" or similar) of whatever is in second hand smoke, must be significantly lower in an outdoor area compared to an indoor area.

Regardless, as a non-smoker, I do not believe it is my "right" to experience a smoke free outdoor patio at a restaurant. If the restaurant owner wants me to sit out there, they can make it smoke free. I don't think the city should force them to.

If the appeal of the area is huge, I would put up with the smoke. Just like I have done at many music concerts in my life, both indoors and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
We outlaw things because people are personally annoyed by it all the time. Loud music, for example. If your neighbor's yard smells like trash or dog waste, it's not allowed and they can be ticketed. Many people in certain areas aren't allowed to operate businesses out of their homes because it can impact their neighbors. Panhandling is outlawed in many places. Etc., etc.
You are misinterpreting some of these laws.

Loud music in a residential area is an infringement of a widely held belief that a resident has a right to live in reasonable noise environment. The person playing the music has a right to enjoy his music, up to the point that it infringes on yours.

A restaurant owner with a patio is in a different situation. His customers visit his business by choice. And they choose to sit in the patio because they want to. The restaurant chooses the food they serve and the attire of their waiters too. If you don't like the type of food - you don't go there.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM

127 posts, read 298,118 times
I simply hate smoking. I can sense any tiny trace of smell, and feel very uncomfortable. If it can be banned, Austin will be wonderful.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,778,825 times
Eggshell society...

Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygray View Post
I simply hate smoking. I can sense any tiny trace of smell, and feel very uncomfortable. If it can be banned, Austin will be wonderful.
So you're of the theory that if you dislike something, the entirety of society should revolve around your likes and dislikes? Really?

How about if someone else dislikes your hypersensitivity and wants IT banned and laws passed that you can't be hypersensitive outside of your house, if there? You on board with that? Because if you want smoking banned because you "simply hate" it and because you think you can sense any tiny trace of smell (horrors!), that's exactly what you're saying. If being around someone who is that hypersensitive makes someone else feel very uncomfortable, you should be banned by law, by your own reasoning.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,778,825 times
I agree with horselady...amazing!...

Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,005,853 times
[quote=TexasHorseLady;28268299]So you're of the theory that if you dislike something, the entirety of society should revolve around your likes and dislikes? Really? /quote]

They didn't say anything of the sort. They voiced their opinion and if it doesn't agree with yours it is still valid. Does "live and let live" mean: as long as you're doing it our way? People have a "right" to not like the smoke.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,711,113 times
And people also have the right to like it.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 AM

67 posts, read 172,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Most of all, Texas state law does not have a complete outdoor smoking ban on public open space and private businesses. Texas municipality (city) ordinances cannot surpass Texas state law.
Your assertion is incorrect. Barring state law pre-emption on this issue -- which I very much doubt -- municipalities and counties are free to enact whatever ordinances they see fit, assuming that they are not otherwise barred on constitutional grounds.

Like the plastic bag ban, Austin is free to enact a ban on smoking on patios open to the public in the interests of public health.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
And people also have the right to like it.
Exactly. That's the part that the anti-smokers don't get. (I don't smoke, but I'm not an anti-smoker.)

That, and that the moment that they start insisting that their preferences be legislated, no matter what excuses they come up with to try to justify that, they have said that it's perfectly hunky dory to legislate against their preferences, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin