Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Austin: Internet research, hilly countryside, driving around, sight-seeing

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM

63 posts, read 264,805 times

Advertisements

Just spent a week in Austin and the surrounding areas to check it out --- was 1 of 4 possible places to relocate to on our list. After months of internet research and countless hours on realtor.com, we couldn’t wait to get on that plane to Austin! After just 2 full days there, we were ready to get back on that plane! But we stayed for the rest of our planned trip.

Austin is indeed a pretty nice city. It offers what most cities of its size offers. The lakes are beautiful, the hilly countryside is beautiful, and most everyone we met or talked to was pretty nice. It just wasn’t for us though, so I fully encourage anyone who is considering relocating there (or anywhere for that matter), to do your research, visit the place, and don’t get your hopes up too high or it can be a big let-down.

There were a lot of things we liked about Austin and the surrounding areas (we did do a lot of driving around – almost 2,000 miles on the rental car so we got around and saw quite a bit) --- and there were a lot of things we didn’t like as well. I won’t bore you with the details. Bottom line is, the vibe wasn’t right for us --- which was TOTALLY a surprise to us after all we had read, researched, anticipated, and so on. That’s the best way I can describe it - wrong vibe. We knew almost immediately that we would not move there. And we are veteran relocaters in our 25 years of marriage - we’ve lived in 4 states, 11 different towns/cities, currently live in Arizona, and actually lived in Dallas for 3 years in the mid-90’s, so we are familiar with Texas laws, property taxes, the I-35, and so on.

Once we decided it wasn’t for us, we relaxed and just went sight-seeing. We drove to San Antonio and did the Riverwalk and the Alamo, spent a night in New Braunfels and checked out all the water sports activities around there, walked around Gruene, which is totally a cute town (although we both got violently sick from our meal at the Gristmill), went to Wimberley, which we loved for it's quaintness, and ended up our last few days in San Marcos --- OK, no one told us about the shopping outlets there! Absolutely great!!!

So that’s about it. Our next city to check out is the Santa Fe area, and probably Las Cruces as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 04:13 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Thanks for your honesty. I can understand how the vibe wasn't right. It's a good town but not the best. I wouldn't mind moving some day.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:22 PM

110 posts, read 616,000 times
I'd be curious to see what you think about Las Cruces and Santa Fe.
My partner and I visited Las Cruces two years ago as we had heard nice things about it and like you, knew instantly, it was not for us. We found it quite dull and uninteresting.
Santa Fe had always been our first choice for a place to move, but after spending a month there this past winter, we decided against it (for health reason primarily). We are heading to Austin in two weeks to check it out.
We were there two years ago and although we liked it fine it did not wow us.
We did like the people, thought there was plenty to do, etc.. but just did not find neighborhoods we liked to live in. We had ideas that we would find areas like Dallas had near SMU and like in Houston near Rice University. We did not find those. Now that Santa Fe is out for a primary home, Austin, our plan B is back and we are going to spend a few days with a realtor seeing lots of different neighborhoods. We did decide that it is probably a nicer place to live than the impression one gets visiting for a few days (or not).

Old 10-14-2007, 07:10 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Rice Village has to have been one of the best places I've lived

Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
I agree that a person can know immediately whether Austin is for you or not. Glad to hear you were at least able to rule one city off your list and that you could enjoy some of your stay as well!

Good luck with the rest of your relo journeys!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Bore us with the details!

I think it's good to hear both sides, so I would be really interested to read why it isn't for some people.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:13 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Yes, I'm also interested to hear how the "vibe" did not fit you. It is especially interesting to me because you currently live in AZ (Phoenix right?). I can't think of anywhere I would hate to live more than Phoenix

Old 10-15-2007, 05:17 PM

445 posts, read 1,809,632 times
I was curious as well, why it wasn't for you?? And your situation, kids/ no kids, what type of job you have, and what are you looking for in a city to relocate to, that Austin did not offer??

Old 10-15-2007, 07:32 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburn View Post
Just spent a week in Austin and the surrounding areas to check it out --- was 1 of 4 possible places to relocate to on our list. After months of internet research and countless hours on realtor.com, we couldn’t wait to get on that plane to Austin! After just 2 full days there, we were ready to get back on that plane! But we stayed for the rest of our planned trip.

Austin is indeed a pretty nice city. It offers what most cities of its size offers. The lakes are beautiful, the hilly countryside is beautiful, and most everyone we met or talked to was pretty nice. It just wasn’t for us though, so I fully encourage anyone who is considering relocating there (or anywhere for that matter), to do your research, visit the place, and don’t get your hopes up too high or it can be a big let-down.

There were a lot of things we liked about Austin and the surrounding areas (we did do a lot of driving around – almost 2,000 miles on the rental car so we got around and saw quite a bit) --- and there were a lot of things we didn’t like as well. I won’t bore you with the details. Bottom line is, the vibe wasn’t right for us --- which was TOTALLY a surprise to us after all we had read, researched, anticipated, and so on. That’s the best way I can describe it - wrong vibe. We knew almost immediately that we would not move there. And we are veteran relocaters in our 25 years of marriage - we’ve lived in 4 states, 11 different towns/cities, currently live in Arizona, and actually lived in Dallas for 3 years in the mid-90’s, so we are familiar with Texas laws, property taxes, the I-35, and so on.

Once we decided it wasn’t for us, we relaxed and just went sight-seeing. We drove to San Antonio and did the Riverwalk and the Alamo, spent a night in New Braunfels and checked out all the water sports activities around there, walked around Gruene, which is totally a cute town (although we both got violently sick from our meal at the Gristmill), went to Wimberley, which we loved for it's quaintness, and ended up our last few days in San Marcos --- OK, no one told us about the shopping outlets there! Absolutely great!!!

So that’s about it. Our next city to check out is the Santa Fe area, and probably Las Cruces as well.

I go to Santa-Fe to ski. I get bored in the town really quick. I could not live there.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:24 PM

63 posts, read 264,805 times
Default OK, I'll bore you with the details...

LOL! Sorry, I didn't see these messages as I've been swamped with work after returning from the vacation.

Yep, We currently live in the Phoenix "area", but not Phoenix - Arrowhead Lakes in Northwest Glendale to be exact. And it's actually a nice little community up here. Why don't we want to stay here, you're probably thinking? Well, it's hot. For 6 months. And you get tired of relentless heat.

As far as our circumstances - youngest just graduated high school, so we are not too concerned with the school districts, except if we ever decided to sell, which we really don't want to do - we want to plant it somewhere for good at this stage. We are late 40's/early 50's, but not crotchety or old-fashioned. I'm in the design industry, but telecommute to the main office out of state. Husband is in new home construction. So work was not an issue.

The "vibe" issue. How to explain........I'm not sure I can. I think you either "know it or not", right off, if you would feel comfortable living in a place. I've traveled to quite a few places (vacationed in others) and felt right at home in many, and to our surprise, just didn't feel that way in Austin. Although it's a great city. And the locals we met were wonderful.

I think the housing market worried us the most. And this is just my opinion. I'm no realtor, and I'm not going from reports and statistics and all of that (just what we looked at), and we certainly didn't cover each and every residential area in Austin, but I think the prices are a little out of whack for what we saw. I can respect the fact that homes in certain areas have appreciated substantially over the years, but having survived the California housing crash in the early 90's, and currently viewing the crash here in AZ (from the sidelines, as we bought quite awhile ago) from prices over-inflating with nowhere to go but down, I'm guessing if the prices go up much more, Austin will experience something similar. I don't want to pay almost top dollar, and then see myself upside-down in a few years. I had no idea Austin was experiencing such an up-swing in housing costs currently.

So I think I've answered your questions, without stepping on toes I hope. Your city is quite nice in alot of areas, and your airport is great, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin