Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 PM

45 posts, read 77,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO View Post
So for all those "haters" who say living central is ideal, they must not have kids. When you're a parent, kids needs come first. So for all you soccer moms (or Lacrosse Mom's like me,) do what's best for your kids. Do what's best for your family. Family comes first. And for those who don't have others to consider, you are free to do what's best for you. Living central...may be acceptable for you, but not for a family who will thrive in the suburbs by buying an affordable home (which is spacious and beautiful b/c TX builds them best) with good schools. Families need to save money for college. Kids need friends. And America needs well educated children...When you have "us" to consider ... ie a family ... sometimes living central isn't an option. Do what's in the best interest of your family. If you don't have one ... oh well. Live where you can best enjoy life for everyone involved. If it’s only you, live where YOU want, but don't assume you know what's best for "US.
Excuse me - surely you aren't saying that anyone with kids is irresponsible to even consider living more central? As a new Austinite who just bought a house in Highland Village - near 50th and Hancock- I can assure you I thoroughly researched the schools my kids (aged 7 and 5) will be attending. Currently the oldest is finishing first grade in the exemplary Highland Park elementary, and her sister will join her next year for kindergarten. We are zoned for Lamar and McCallum - I know Lamar has had its issues in the past, but I've been following its recent progress very closely, and I know we have options if that doesn't work out.

Sure, the suburbs can be great if everyone is happy with that. But I think our family will thrive in a place that has something to make ALL of us happy. Our previous neighborhood in Virginia was very suburban and guess what? I was completely miserable, and that doesn't make for a happy, thriving family.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:11 PM

348 posts, read 336,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Well, this simply will not be permitted. People too stupid to know what they want is bad for them.

Found this part interesting:

Conclusion:
People also choose McDonald's.
Not sure what the point here is.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 AM
JLO

86 posts, read 213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbetc View Post
Excuse me - surely you aren't saying that anyone with kids is irresponsible to even consider living more central? As a new Austinite who just bought a house in Highland Village - near 50th and Hancock- I can assure you I thoroughly researched the schools my kids (aged 7 and 5) will be attending. Currently the oldest is finishing first grade in the exemplary Highland Park elementary, and her sister will join her next year for kindergarten. We are zoned for Lamar and McCallum - I know Lamar has had its issues in the past, but I've been following its recent progress very closely, and I know we have options if that doesn't work out.

Sure, the suburbs can be great if everyone is happy with that. But I think our family will thrive in a place that has something to make ALL of us happy. Our previous neighborhood in Virginia was very suburban and guess what? I was completely miserable, and that doesn't make for a happy, thriving family.
No. I am not saying that "anyone with kids is irresponsible to even consider living more central." I basically said exactly what you said that ... "family will thrive in a place that has something to make All (of us) happy." Irresponsible for living central? I did not say that at all. I was merely defending those who choose to live in the suburbs in more affordable housing in order to save money for college and not tie up all their assets in a home. Some posters can't understand that having children is costly and home price, schools and college must all be factored in when choosing the best location for your family's situation.

If you buy a home centrally, you pay for it and yes, some of the schools are good, but they are not the top rated. They may be the "best for YOUR family" but they are not the top rated academically. Ratings are not everything as we all know. However, for those without children (and my comment was directed more towards certain posters without children) who continue to condemn those who choose suburbia over central, I was merely pointing out that living centrally is cost prohibitive for some who choose to pay less for their home in order to invest in their children's education down the road (ie college.) Sometimes something has to give and that something is often proximity to the city. You can't argue that central isn't costly.
I am terribly sorry if you misunderstood my comment. This city vs. suburb mentality in this forum is unfortunate. Everyone should do what's best for their family. And "best" for one is not best for "everyone." Good luck to you. Hopefully you will be less miserable than you were in suburban VA. But remember, where ever you go ... there you are.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM

625 posts, read 1,134,499 times
Quote:

Welcome, well said and GO KNIGHTS!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO View Post
No. I am not saying that "anyone with kids is irresponsible to even consider living more central." I basically said exactly what you said that ... "family will thrive in a place that has something to make All (of us) happy." Irresponsible for living central? I did not say that at all. I was merely defending those who choose to live in the suburbs in more affordable housing in order to save money for college and not tie up all their assets in a home. Some posters can't understand that having children is costly and home price, schools and college must all be factored in when choosing the best location for your family's situation.
Living in suburbia is not just about cost. There are amenities that cant be had for any price in the central core. For example

1) my house backs up to a greenbelt. I can literally go out my backyard into one the most technically challenging mountain bike trails in town. We also can hike and camp there.
2) Im able to build mountain bike trails.
3) Im within biking (10-15 minutes) distance to another 40-50 miles of good technical mtb trails
4) We have great hill country views.
5) Our schools are 25-50% asian (we are asian).
6) We are in a cul de sac and our neighbors hang out every day. We dont get anyone driving through that doesnt belong there. Our kids can play in the cul de sac, not just on a sidewalk. Not so for a through street.
7) Our schools are some of the top rated in the entire city (laurel mountain, canyon vista, westwood)
8) it is quiet, we dont have a lot people driving or walking through
9) Plenty of parking for when we have parties with 60 people
10) It isnt crowded where we feel like there are people everywhere, but it is crowded enough that there are always neighbors out and about.
11) HOA to make sure neighbors take care of their house

Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM

440 posts, read 714,916 times
Quote:
You chose well. Unfortunately a lot of long-time Austinites are priced out of the central areas and must make do with the suburbs. That's my situation. Some of what you read here reflects that, and some people seem genuinely attracted to suburbia. I will say this: for good urban schools you either need a significant amount of money or to be willing to live in fairly shabby digs.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 PM

251 posts, read 398,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Living in suburbia is not just about cost. There are amenities that cant be had for any price in the central core. For example

1) my house backs up to a greenbelt. I can literally go out my backyard into one the most technically challenging mountain bike trails in town. We also can hike and camp there.
2) Im able to build mountain bike trails.
3) Im within biking (10-15 minutes) distance to another 40-50 miles of good technical mtb trails
4) We have great hill country views.
5) Our schools are 25-50% asian (we are asian).
6) We are in a cul de sac and our neighbors hang out every day. We dont get anyone driving through that doesnt belong there. Our kids can play in the cul de sac, not just on a sidewalk. Not so for a through street.
7) Our schools are some of the top rated in the entire city (laurel mountain, canyon vista, westwood)
8) it is quiet, we dont have a lot people driving or walking through
9) Plenty of parking for when we have parties with 60 people
10) It isnt crowded where we feel like there are people everywhere, but it is crowded enough that there are always neighbors out and about.
11) HOA to make sure neighbors take care of their house
1) There are greenbelts in the central core
2) Great for you and the .00001% of other people who want to "build" mountain bike trails
3) You obviously like mountain biking
4) That's a plus for sure. But there are trade offs. Giant Sycamores and Cottonwoods are everywhere in my neighborhood.
5) Why care about that? We need to stop classifying ourselves and others. It's not doing us any good as a society. Should I say I like my neighborhood because it's full of white people? No. It's a bit insulting.
6) There are cul-de-sacs in the urban core.
7) Motivated kids, who will typically have highly involved parents, will excel and get a great education regardless if their school is ranked #1, like LASA, or #10 like McCallum.
8) It's pretty quiet in many core neighborhoods. You'd be surprised.
9) Unless you live downtown, parking isn't really an issue.
10) Wow, you can't lose in the suburbs can you? Just the right amount of people huh? Hopefully no more people will move out to where you're at and disturb your perfect equilibrium. But I'm sure that won't happen.

Honestly, be happy with what you've got. But all the "urban core" bashing going on here reeks of insecurity.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Why is it that some people feel that those who live in suburbia do so because of resignation? Most people take a home purchase seriously. Regardless of where you live, a home purchase usually involves a lot of moola..way too much moolah to "settle" if that's not where your heart is.

Our motivation for suburbia was largely based on wanting to get away from any semblance of urban living. Despite the constant encroachment of buildings, we still get to experience smaller-town Texas as it was before Boomtown. Also, many people have moved on past "hipness" and value peace and quiet. Whether we have kids or not. Financially, as a middle classed family, more and more these days, it's looking like a no-brainer for us. We can spend 350k on a centrally located house in a central neighborhood. But, hm...the house would be dreadfully small, on a small lot, and it would still take me 25 minutes to get to work. We can attempt to ride the gentrifying train to East Austin. OR we can live in the suburbs, get a 250k house that's larger, on a larger lot, AND leaves us with $$$ in disposible income to compensate for life's unexpected occurrences. Why should housing eat up a good portion of our mortgage? But the financial is just a bonus, really. With all of the development occuring in Round Rock and Pflugerville, there's really no need to go elsewhere except for the once in a while excursion.

Another thing...there are many homes in suburbia that have character. Not everything is master-planned. Go check out Georgetown, downtown Pflugerville and Round Rock and you'll find lots of craftsman, victorian, and georgian style homes. Also, "suburbia" is not one city. "Suburbia" is actually many different, distinct Central Texas cities that have still retained a lot of their charm. To lump them all together as vast, master planned wastelands with big box stores is a disservice.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:31 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Honestly, be happy with what you've got. But all the "urban core" bashing going on here reeks of insecurity.
And there's not a lot of suburban bashing? Really! Like I've said before, these topics suck. Live where you want to live, wherever it may be!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 PM

251 posts, read 398,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And there's not a lot of suburban bashing? Really! Like I've said before, these topics suck. Live where you want to live, wherever it may be!
I'd guess 90% of the people on this forum live in the suburbs. There's a small number of suburban bashers I've noticed that get a lot of attention. Try decaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin