Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times

Advertisements

the new location is farther from my house so that is too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,261,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
the new location is farther from my house so that is too bad.
What's "funny" is that while the new location is physically closer to my house, it's not along my normal paths of travel making it actually _less_ convenient for me to get to. That is the nice thing about 183/Mopac, it seems like I'm always headed to/from that area.

I don't want to derail this thread but I feel I must again complain about the incredibly poor decision to lay out the Domain in it's current form without at least giving thought to how people will get from one section to the other. I can see the new WF being very popular, but with the way the Domain is laid out, it's probably not going to do much for Payless Shoes, or Papaya, or any of those stores in Section 2. Walking is completely out of the question, having to drive is simply stupid, and currently the only transportation options are to call for a golf cart shuttle. Getting from Section 1 to Section 2 is bad enough. OK, off my soap box, hopefully they'll be addressing this.

Looking forward to wider aisles!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Geez, people...park in front of REI and do a little walking. I figured that out about 4.5 years ago when I first visited that store. We approached the first time from the west side and tried to park in front of the store...never again.

Still say it's a huge mistake to close the Gateway location unless they can't get a decent lease. That store could remain viable even after the Domain location opens. And I wouldn't call that the Arboretum location...it's not in the Arboretum. Now THAT'S some lousy parking!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I don't want to derail this thread but I feel I must again complain about the incredibly poor decision to lay out the Domain in it's current form without at least giving thought to how people will get from one section to the other. I can see the new WF being very popular, but with the way the Domain is laid out, it's probably not going to do much for Payless Shoes, or Papaya, or any of those stores in Section 2. Walking is completely out of the question, having to drive is simply stupid, and currently the only transportation options are to call for a golf cart shuttle. Getting from Section 1 to Section 2 is bad enough. OK, off my soap box, hopefully they'll be addressing this.
I'll happily join you on that soap box. The "walkable" design of The Domain is laughable. They couldn't even bother to connect Phase 1 with Phase 2 let alone the outer development like Whole Foods. I recall articles extolling the virtues of the coming Domain development as a walkable urban village prior to the actual development, and it hasn't turned out like it was pitched.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
I'll happily join you on that soap box. The "walkable" design of The Domain is laughable. They couldn't even bother to connect Phase 1 with Phase 2 let alone the outer development like Whole Foods. I recall articles extolling the virtues of the coming Domain development as a walkable urban village prior to the actual development, and it hasn't turned out like it was pitched.
The domain is so ridiculous they need a tram to get you from one side to the other. It is almost mind boggling that they were incapable of making it walkable. The first area works, but then isnt connected at all to phase 2. The arbor at gateway is even worse. They build a huge retention pond then stick it off to the side so now it is an algae infested eyesore. Then huge parking lots etc with a long strips of stores. They could have redesigned the pond to be the centerpiece and attracted a tremendous amount of casual walkers. Started shade trees, playscape etc. Put the parking off to the side and built the stores around the center.

We will see how mueller turns out. The only thing I can think of is that designing these things well is actually really hard.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,470 times
I read it opens in December (2013).

Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Ohh, I HATE The Domain. The location is awful. It is impossible to get in and our of, parking is hell and no- you can't even walk the whole thing with out tromping through parking lots and traffic. What in the world were they thinking? Occasionally I'm forced to go and it is ok once I get to where I'm going but I generally avoid it like the plague. Oh, and walking around outside in the middle of the day in summer? No thanks. I live somewhat close but will go anywhere to avoid having to deal. UPS and Fed Ex are my friends.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:42 PM

593 posts, read 470,211 times
Slowly but surely says my sources. And I can't wait. It's moving to a better spot.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Date is announced.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,576 times
And the current Gateway store will remain open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin