Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 08:19 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times

Advertisements

Driving around lately I see lots of new car license tags coming into Austin.

I seen a lot of Californian's, Colorado'ins & East Coasters (Jersey, NY & Florida).

Now I understand why people would leave California or East Coast but why Colorado??

Why leave such a pretty state?

I would love to know why? is it becasue of Jobs, Too-cold, tired of the snow or want more money? Texas pays more?? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
California and the East Coast are pretty compared to Texas too. It's usually economic reasons.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:41 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
When I lived in Colorado, most people were moving away due to jobs.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 PM

216 posts, read 996,324 times
Post Colorado

We moved because Intel were closing down in Colorado Springs. In saying that I'm really glad we moved. The past two Winters in Colorado have been very long (5 months long) and although I love snow, it gets a little tedious getting up every day to shovel it.
My daughters last day in school was June 21st as all the extra snow days needed to be added on at the end.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
change of pace? family reasons? new job offer? job transitioning? lower cost of living?

There are lots of reasons people leave one place for another.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,397 times
Funny thing, we are going back to CO for the second Christmas in a row. It was nice last time, we spent Christmas Eve in Estes Park, and then a couple days in the snow.

This time we are doing DT for Christmans Eve and Christmas day. Any recommendations for what to do DT around Christmas?

Not looking to hijack the thread, because I will probably post in the Denver forum, but this is a good chance for former Coloradoan's to remember what they liked to do around the holidays.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:30 PM

If by DT you mean downtown: We used to like to walk around and look at all the lights. There are some Christmas Light tours, but I used to just drive around looking at lights. The houses along Monaco really go wild with the decorations, and it's just extra Christmasy if it's snowing, which more than likely it will be. Denver zoo has decorations and I believe a sort of tour during Christmas. We used to go downtown for New Years as well. They do fireworks at midnight. Fado is also fun to go to for New Years. It doesn't cost too very much to go, and they serve really good food. Estes Park is such a pretty town. Georgetown is nice at Christmas too, if you get back to the foothills. I remember being downtown one year and it snowed so much that the horse drawn carriage companies used sleds instead of carriages. Now that was very pretty!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
If by DT you mean downtown: We used to like to walk around and look at all the lights. There are some Christmas Light tours, but I used to just drive around looking at lights. The houses along Monaco really go wild with the decorations, and it's just extra Christmasy if it's snowing, which more than likely it will be. Denver zoo has decorations and I believe a sort of tour during Christmas. We used to go downtown for New Years as well. They do fireworks at midnight. Fado is also fun to go to for New Years. It doesn't cost too very much to go, and they serve really good food. Estes Park is such a pretty town. Georgetown is nice at Christmas too, if you get back to the foothills. I remember being downtown one year and it snowed so much that the horse drawn carriage companies used sleds instead of carriages. Now that was very pretty!
We got the Hyatt Regency Convention Center for $69/night through Priceline, so we will be next to the Capital. Hopefully we can find other areas to walk to as well, assuming it's not too cold! I will check out the things you mention above.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 PM

11 posts, read 65,540 times
We are from california but the Army has relocated us to Texas.. and I won't give up my california plates!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 PM

If you're near the Capital, that's a nice area. Check out the Capital Hill neighborhood if you get a chance. Molly Browns House is there and they decorate it inside and out for Christmas. Oops, forgot to mention. Pete's Diner on Colfax. One of those quintessential Denver experiences like some of the ones here in Austin you have to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin