Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times

Advertisements

Moved from Illinois. Texas will be the 5th state I lived in. I was also expecting much more of a dry heat. I got my education in Tempe, Arizona, and absolutely loved it there. (Probably my favorite placed I lived so far). It's amazing how humidity makes it miserable. In AZ, it would be 120 in the summer but I never minded it at all. I could even go outside in the summer and not feel like I'm dying. Here though, it ended up being in the 100s and like a consistent 40% humidity. Like the OP said, I get sticky and nasty feeling as soon as I leave the house. Even in the house, I've been bummed that apparently you can't get your AC below 76. Normal inside temps here seem to be 76-80 in the summer, but that is insane to me. I've never had an inside home temperature of more than 74 any where else I lived (even AZ), and even would put the temp down in the 60s sometimes. Something about high efficiency AC units, but it's been so hard for me and the girlfriend to adjust to that hot a temperature inside.

Also agree with all the other OP's points as well. He hits the nail on the head, but who knows, I got at least another 10 months and a mild winter too see how my impressions change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:54 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
This is just personal opinion, but I think that keeping your house really cool during hot weather makes it harder to adjust to the heat. If you keep your house at 78 or 79, not only do you save energy and money, but you can wear summer clothes inside the house, and not be cold. I grew up in Wisconsin, and we kept the house always at 72. But that was heating. We had no air conditioning. The same principle applied. If you kept it warmer, you couldn't wear wool or fleece in the house because it was too hot. Why would you want to have to change to summer wear in the house in the middle of winter? Best to heat or cool as little as possible and still be comfortable. That is why I have some problems with restaurants and doctors' offices that are kept so cold in the summer; what is the point of having to take a sweater or jacket with you to go to dinner when it's in the 90s outside?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:11 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
To each their own I guess. I've usually kept my house at 70-72 during the summers, and THAT temperature was shorts and tshirt conditions for me. 77-78 house temperature has been unbearable for me, it's been underpants and no shirt conditions AND still feeling hot inside!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
You are right - we all have our comfort zones.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM

106 posts, read 309,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This is just personal opinion, but I think that keeping your house really cool during hot weather makes it harder to adjust to the heat. If you keep your house at 78 or 79, not only do you save energy and money, but you can wear summer clothes inside the house, and not be cold. I grew up in Wisconsin, and we kept the house always at 72. But that was heating. We had no air conditioning. The same principle applied. If you kept it warmer, you couldn't wear wool or fleece in the house because it was too hot. Why would you want to have to change to summer wear in the house in the middle of winter? Best to heat or cool as little as possible and still be comfortable. That is why I have some problems with restaurants and doctors' offices that are kept so cold in the summer; what is the point of having to take a sweater or jacket with you to go to dinner when it's in the 90s outside?
Mainly it's when sleeping that it bothers me the most. If it's above 75 and bedtime, I know that I'm going to be uncomfortable and won't get very much sleep. I get very hot at night. It's funny because I always complained when I was little how much my dad cranked up the AC at night, and now I know exactly why.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Moved from Illinois. Texas will be the 5th state I lived in. I was also expecting much more of a dry heat. I got my education in Tempe, Arizona, and absolutely loved it there. (Probably my favorite placed I lived so far). It's amazing how humidity makes it miserable. In AZ, it would be 120 in the summer but I never minded it at all. I could even go outside in the summer and not feel like I'm dying. Here though, it ended up being in the 100s and like a consistent 40% humidity. Like the OP said, I get sticky and nasty feeling as soon as I leave the house. Even in the house, I've been bummed that apparently you can't get your AC below 76. Normal inside temps here seem to be 76-80 in the summer, but that is insane to me. I've never had an inside home temperature of more than 74 any where else I lived (even AZ), and even would put the temp down in the 60s sometimes. Something about high efficiency AC units, but it's been so hard for me and the girlfriend to adjust to that hot a temperature inside.

Also agree with all the other OP's points as well. He hits the nail on the head, but who knows, I got at least another 10 months and a mild winter too see how my impressions change.
My wife lived in Arizona and said the A/C could never go below 84 all summer. I don't know if maybe you had a swamp cooler or something more effective, or perhaps a never house? In any case, if you are renting an old 1960's home in SoCo, don't expect the unit to be able to crank down to 74.

You will get used to it.

I keep 79, occasionally crank to 78 when I'm doing a lot of home repairs in the house. But 79 feels nice when it's 105 outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin