Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,429 times

Advertisements

Hi...I am originally from KC, MO (kansas city, missouri) and moved to Phoenix but I DO NOT like it here for many reasons, one being the amount of gas I spend traveling from home (Surprise area) to downtown Phoenix! In any case, I am thinking of moving to either Austin or San Antonio and am looking for affordable living, a place to buy fresh seafood( fish, etc.), grassy, suburban, southern feel to the place that I call "home"...I recently went to both cities in Texas and wasn't impressed with the northern parts of San Antonio, so does anyone have any suggestions on more modern sections of the city besides Terrell Hills area?

Austin seemed pretty nice and reminded me of KC and that is what I am looking for, so does anyone have any advice on suburban parts of town that has affordable leasing/renting options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 04:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp2002 View Post
Hi...I am originally from KC, MO (kansas city, missouri) and moved to Phoenix but I DO NOT like it here for many reasons, one being the amount of gas I spend traveling from home (Surprise area) to downtown Phoenix! In any case, I am thinking of moving to either Austin or San Antonio and am looking for affordable living, a place to buy fresh seafood( fish, etc.), grassy, suburban, southern feel to the place that I call "home"...I recently went to both cities in Texas and wasn't impressed with the northern parts of San Antonio, so does anyone have any suggestions on more modern sections of the city besides Terrell Hills area?

Austin seemed pretty nice and reminded me of KC and that is what I am looking for, so does anyone have any advice on suburban parts of town that has affordable leasing/renting options?
San Antonio's northern sectors are pretty much new,have hill country terrain, so don't look much different from Austin's.San Antonio's northside has more people than the entire city of Austin, so traffic might be a problem.San Antonio's urban core is almost twice the size of Austin's, so if you want a more peaceful setting Austin would be your best bet.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,489 times
AUSTIN!! Phoenix sucks I can not imagine why any one would want to move there. San Antonio is a wanna be city and it has become a tourist trap. But some like that in a city. What do you like Cosmopolitan or Tourism? I guess San Antonio would be a good place for a family, but there a plenty of family's in Austin to.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM

22 posts, read 96,096 times
I would pick Austin too! Well, I live near Austin but Austin has so much to offer anyone from single life to family life. San Antonio is pretty much a tourist city and downtown Austin is much nicer and cleaner!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
AUSTIN!! Phoenix sucks I can not imagine why any one would want to move there. San Antonio is a wanna be city and it has become a tourist trap. But some like that in a city. What do you like Cosmopolitan or Tourism? I guess San Antonio would be a good place for a family, but there a plenty of family's in Austin to.
San Antonio not cosmopolitain? Get real, it has an international flavor.San Antonio's downtown also has a European feel.Dowtown S.A. has it's German districts,Irish flats district, it's prominet spanish presence, and even Japanese historic buidlings can be found.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:56 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,489 times
Quote:
San Antonio not cosmopolitain? Get real, it has an international flavor.San Antonio's downtown also has a European feel.Dowtown S.A. has it's German districts,Irish flats district, it's prominet spanish presence, and even Japanese historic buidlings can be found.
I am afraid that is called diverse, not cosmopolitan. Austin has its own share of that to. I just think that Austin is a cleaner, nicer city.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I am afraid that is called diverse, not cosmopolitan. Austin has its own share of that to. I just think that Austin is a cleaner, nicer city.

It is sophisticated city with an international flavor.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
Default Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
It is sophisticated city with an international flavor.

I have to agree with Sweet because I lived in Austin and Austin is not the city SA is. Austin is an overhype city. Remember Austin is the city that did not have a decent place to shop in the 90's. Sometimes the hype really goes to Austinites head. Plus SA is probably the second most diverse city after Houston due to the military

Old 11-06-2007, 06:06 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
If you are looking for something the is going to have the look that KC does, you are not going to find it in either city. I lived in Omaha for 4 years and went to KC a few times and there is a wildness here that you are not going to have in KC no matter what. I used to live in SA and now live in Austin due to job relo but if I had my choice I would move back to SA in a heartbeat. Cause I have more friends and less family there! LOL. Both cities are relaxed Austin is more the outdoors city cause of the lakes but SA has lots of different things to do that don't involve driving 1.5 hours to get to cause its not in the city you live in. SA has better recyling programs than Austin and since i have got 2 boys lots more to do since there are not real fond of the outdoors (one has allergies to everything except mold) so far not even a dollar movie house up here!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,587 times
Rdp2002,

I think that the choice depends on what feel you are after. I'm a female CA transplant, and middle-aged. I live in San Antonio and don't like it in part because of the huge military influence, because it's too rough around the edges for me, and for other reasons as well. On the other hand, Austin's culture is influenced by state government and a premier educational institution. These factors permeate the cultures of the respective cities more deeply than insiders may realize. As for renting, I'm not sure how Austin is, but be very careful about the realty management company that is in charge of your house rental. Coming from CA, I was very surprised to learn how few rights renters have in TX, and property owners and management companies take advantage of this. Contact the BBB before signing. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin