Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:32 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEKTO View Post
I agree. What are the good/best school districts in Austin area? My understanding that Cedar Park and Round Rock are among those. Am I right?
yep... the Cedar Park ISD is darn good. You can look it up..... CPISD.

Seriously Hekto. Do some research prior to asking questions (here) about "investment" property.

Here's a freebie. On virtually all 160-200K home you might be interested in, factor in 2.5-2.8% (per year) in property taxes & another $600-$1000 for insurance. (& no homestead exception)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:41 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Kothmann View Post
Thanks, Atxio. Do you have tips for finding a tenant this time of year?
Honestly in the past several years I've had to do almost nothing. I put an ad on craigslist, or a sign on the property, and the inquiries start coming in quickly. I screen tenants myself, but if you aren't comfortable doing it (or don't have all the forms/screening tools) then it's worth paying a property manager to do the whole thing. They can do your listing/advertising as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:08 PM

207 posts, read 463,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It is happening in all kinds of neighborhoods!! A house on my street sold about 6 months ago. It was well priced, and sold quickly. Sounds good. Only the new owners live out of state and *might* move to Austin someday. They bought it as a "investment" but are newbies and quickly proved to be in over their heads without a well-thought out plan. They have done some minor work on the house and keep the lawn up but haven't moved in and haven't rented it out. So a young married couple decided somehow that buying property in Austin was a "can't lose" proposition . . . yet they must be losing money on it every month (just wait until they see the property tax bill) and a house stands empty diminishing our neighborhood.
Yep Yep. Absentee landlords are just about the worst thing that can happen to a neighborhood. We may as well be (and perhaps are) in the same neighborhood.

I have noticed a proliferation of new get rich quick type financial independence "programs" that hype up owning rental houses as the sure-fire route to effort-free income - just sit back and collect checks! Warren Buffet says he wants to invest in SFH rentals, and surely he can't be wrong, RIGHT?! Some acquaintances have even gone to one or two then asked me or my family for tips because they know my parents have property they rent, and after we fill them in on what is actually involved in renting a place they never go back.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 PM

39 posts, read 85,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It is happening in all kinds of neighborhoods!! A house on my street sold about 6 months ago. It was well priced, and sold quickly. Sounds good. Only the new owners live out of state and *might* move to Austin someday. They bought it as a "investment" but are newbies and quickly proved to be in over their heads without a well-thought out plan. They have done some minor work on the house and keep the lawn up but haven't moved in and haven't rented it out. So a young married couple decided somehow that buying property in Austin was a "can't lose" proposition . . . yet they must be losing money on it every month (just wait until they see the property tax bill) and a house stands empty diminishing our neighborhood.
I don't understand - they can't find tenants?

Old 12-27-2013, 04:11 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
One can always find a tenant. If the price is right.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
No! They could easily rent out the house. They are just too clueless and too mixed in what exactly their purpose is in owning the home. They live out of state but think that they might move to Austin someday and live in the house. But now the move isn't happening as quick as they thought. And being a first-time landlord from out of state is apparently beyond their skill set. And they don't have the wits/extra funds to bring in a management service. They define clueless.

I think that they bought the house in cash! As an *investment* but now they have locked that cash up and seem frozen.

Sometimes access to money seems to make people dumber, this certainly seems to be the case. Maybe they are trust fund babies? I've had a few as neighbors . . . tremendous lack of life skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin