Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 AM

152 posts, read 196,464 times

Advertisements

Moved here about 4 months ago from Dallas which I could not wait to get out of. Lived there for 13 years because I bought a business. hat city sucks. So does Arlington even worse. Grew up in Houston during the 80s so I know what real traffic looks like and it ain't bad here. Had a boat docked on Lake Travis for many years and have been bumming around Austin since high school. Finally got my company in a position that I didn't have to be there everyday so I hightailed it. I love it. It's expensive but I've been blessed with the ability to afford it. I'm a very outdoorsy nature type who loves live music and good looking women so it suits me quite nicely. I like the live and let live attitude vs Dallas's snotty or Arlington's holier than though attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM

135 posts, read 241,140 times
My Wife is currently in her last year of College for her Bachelors in programming. We are Texas natives, I am in Law Enforcement, but also in school getting my degree in Criminal Justice, and a minor in Art. I know odd combo. We have Family in San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Waco, and El Paso. Austin is a place we are considering due to the Programming jobs, and the Peace officer makes 15 to 20k more a year there. This thread has been enlightening so I thank everyone for their viewpoints and opinions. The other place we are considering is Seattle WA. and if you want to talk about traffic.. heh live in Seattle. Holy back ups batman. We also have family there too and visit quite often.. We that is the wife and I find Austin and Seattle to be much alike in many ways... I guess that is why the appeal of both is so strong.

Well anyways.. if we make the move I will fill this out like everyone else has.. with the data asked for. Again thank you everyone your views both positive and negative have helped a bunch.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:06 AM

56 posts, read 129,473 times
Moved to Cedar Park, Texas in June 2013 from Philadelphia, PA. My husband was relocated through his company. We did a lot of research before we moved here and one thing we didn't realize was just how bad people drive here. It's not surprising on how many accidents (or wrecks as they call them) they have here.

We chose to rent for two years but LOVE our neighborhood and our rental home. The neighborhood is in a nice area, safe and everyone is very friendly. The school district is excellent, too!

If you are thinking of moving, consider renting first. That way you can get a better feel for the area. Sometimes things look nice online but you can never really know what it's like until you are here.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:14 AM

5 posts, read 27,699 times
Where you came from?

New Orleans , LA (originally from Oklahoma but lived in Louisiana for the past four years)

Why you moved?

The violent crime (200 murders a year in a city of 400,000) in New Orleans was unbearable and the school systems were very poor. Also , my wife's parents lives just outside of Austin and she wanted to be closer to her family.

What you didn't know about Austin before you moved ?

Austin is much larger and more spread out than NOLA. In New Orleans , I could walk , bike , or take the streetcar to almost any place in the city. Here I have to drive for miles and miles , fighting traffic , to get where I want to go.

I've heard other transplants say "It's not as "weird" or unique as I expected." Austin is certainly unique when compared to a lot of cities , but coming from New Orleans that isn't saying much. I don't think any other American city could match the "weirdness" of NOLA. I can tolerate it being less weird more than I can tolerate New Orleans crime and corruption.

Cost of living is higher , but not by too much. We pay $50 more a month in rent than we did in NOLA - but live in a much safer area.

I've also heard that it can be hard to find employment in Austin. I have still not found a job (though I have had several recent interviews) , but my wife was able to secure a job within the first few days we were in town. It pays slightly more than her NOLA job - doing the same kind of work.

What you love and dislike about your new home?

LESS crime.
MUCH better schools.
MUCH cleaner city.
Less annoying tourists.

Dislikes:

Traffic.
NOLA had better nightlife ,(24 Hour) bars , and restaurants.
Austin doesn't have anywhere near the culture and history that NOLA does. (But , then again , very few cities do)

Anyway , I don't think Austin is bland or boring. It is definitely more exciting than my original hometown of Tulsa , Oklahoma as well as a lot of other towns and cities I have lived in or visited.

I loved many aspects of NOLA , just didn't like the crime and the overall dirtiness of the city. In a way , I hated to have to move , but I didn't feel like it was a safe place to raise my son. If I had been younger , single and childless , I would have taken my chances and stayed in New Orleans.

That being said , I think I will be able to adapt and enjoy living here.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:50 PM

80 posts, read 121,824 times
where you came from
Most recently- Northern Nevada.

why you moved
1)A very good job offer
2) I love hot weather, despise the cold
3) Opportunities for extracurricular pursuits

what you didn't know about Austin before you moved
I had been here previously but it was years ago. Did not realize how much rent had gone up.

and what you love and dislike about your new home

Playing geographical bachelor at the moment so home is a decent (spendy) apartment for a while.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper TJ View Post
where you came from
Most recently- Northern Nevada.

why you moved
1)A very good job offer
2) I love hot weather, despise the cold
3) Opportunities for extracurricular pursuits

what you didn't know about Austin before you moved
I had been here previously but it was years ago. Did not realize how much rent had gone up.

and what you love and dislike about your new home

Playing geographical bachelor at the moment so home is a decent (spendy) apartment for a while.
Did you come from Reno?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:12 AM

80 posts, read 121,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Did you come from Reno?
No, but I did start off in NV via Reno. The closest town was Winnemucca.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
There were 'massive numbers of people arriving' in the last place I lived and the drivers weren't dangerously aggressive or of I-got-my-permit-yesrtday skill level. The drivers in Boston, LA, SF, Denver, Atlanta and even NYC -- all places I've driven extensively -- are not dangerously aggressive as they are here. I'm not the only one who feels this way; read the archives from the folks who are from here, they agree.
Texas in General has the most aggressive drivers in the country IMO. If you're not going 90+ down the freeway in an F-150 then watch out! Also the careless suburban housewives in the giant white Tahoes are dangerous. Between checking a text or sipping their Starbucks, you better watch for them.

Texans are generally friendly but for some reason behind the wheel they become insufferable.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:07 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Texas in General has the most aggressive drivers in the country IMO. If you're not going 90+ down the freeway in an F-150 then watch out! Also the careless suburban housewives in the giant white Tahoes are dangerous. Between checking a text or sipping their Starbucks, you better watch for them.

Texans are generally friendly but for some reason behind the wheel they become insufferable.
Then you have never driven in DC.

I don't see driving fast as "aggressive", per se. Driving right up someone's butt - even if you are doing the speed limit - IS aggressive. Cutting across two lanes in one move IS aggressive. Forcing your car into a one car space in the adjacent lane IS aggressive.

I drive all over the country and don't see people here as worse on any of those, and not nearly as bad as in the DC area.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Have you ever driven in NYC ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin