Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,235 times

Advertisements

I've seen some posts from a while back talking about what it's like to live in Avery Ranch. I'm curious about how it is now. We're a couple in our mid-50s with a teenager. We're currently looking to buy in the north/northwest suburbs around Austin. (We are currently renting in RRW after living in NW Austin for a very long time.) We've been talking with our realtor about Avery Ranch West. The biggest advantage is that it's near the train station. But there are a few things that are holding us back from seriously looking there. Our questions/concerns:

* How is traffic in the area, both rush hour and otherwise? I've seen several posts already about this, but they're a few years old already. I'm wondering how things have changed. I'm especially wondering about:
** Parmer/Avery Ranch at rush hour
** Crossing Avery Ranch from the north side neighborhoods to get to the train station at early rush hour
** Avery Ranch West outside of rush hour (we were driving through the neighborhoods on Saturday, and it was a little tougher than I'd expected to turn left onto Avery Ranch Blvd from one of the neighborhoods)
* How much of a concern is Kelly Reeves Stadium when an event is happening, both from a traffic standpoint and a noise/lighting standpoint?
*How noisy/distracting are the trains, both commuter and other? We will be home at least some of the time during work days, so this could be an issue.
* We see that there are several pools and amenity centers in AR. Can we use any of them or are we limited based on which part of AR we're in?
* How restrictive is the HOA?

Thanks so much for any insights you can give us that will help with the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 11:47 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localgrrl View Post
I've seen some posts from a while back talking about what it's like to live in Avery Ranch. I'm curious about how it is now. We're a couple in our mid-50s with a teenager. We're currently looking to buy in the north/northwest suburbs around Austin. (We are currently renting in RRW after living in NW Austin for a very long time.) We've been talking with our realtor about Avery Ranch West. The biggest advantage is that it's near the train station. But there are a few things that are holding us back from seriously looking there. Our questions/concerns:

* How is traffic in the area, both rush hour and otherwise? I've seen several posts already about this, but they're a few years old already. I'm wondering how things have changed. I'm especially wondering about:
** Parmer/Avery Ranch at rush hour
Not the most fun in the world; but fairly manageable. Toughest turn is Parmer south turning east on AR blvd...arrow is way too short(as are the turn lanes)

** Crossing Avery Ranch from the north side neighborhoods to get to the train station at early rush hour
Makes good sense to exit with a traffic light if possible; but there are good breaks in the traffic as a result of the lights to the east. Staked Plains makes it the easiest, of course.
** Avery Ranch West outside of rush hour (we were driving through the neighborhoods on Saturday, and it was a little tougher than I'd expected to turn left onto Avery Ranch Blvd from one of the neighborhoods)
Yep...it's a 40mph blvd and some folks like to go faster. It's never a steady stream of traffic blocking you; but it can be a little tricky crossing. I reckon some folks prefer the 'Michigan Left' by turning right and making a U-turn down the block.
* How much of a concern is Kelly Reeves Stadium when an event is happening, both from a traffic standpoint and a noise/lighting standpoint?
We live behind the Plaza at the intersection of AR Blvd and Parmer...can hear the PA announcer and bands playing; but it has never bothered us. The traffic is managed pretty well unless the visitors are coming from the north or east...that can really do a number on the main intersection; but it's not something we have to plan for. Ingress/egress at the stadium seems to run very smoothly.
*How noisy/distracting are the trains, both commuter and other? We will be home at least some of the time during work days, so this could be an issue.
Whole bunch of folks live closer to the train than we do...no mass exodus from those hoods!(Not to mention the brand new Northwoods subdivision right on the tracks). I can hear the freight trains late at night; but it's not bothersome. Daytime trains aren't the most fun; but I'm not aware of any real hardship caused by them. I wouldn't want a newborn's nursery facing the tracks; but plenty of folks are living within a couple hundred yards of the tracks on both sides.

* We see that there are several pools and amenity centers in AR. Can we use any of them or are we limited based on which part of AR we're in?
Only one condo complex in AR does NOT enjoy access to all pools and rec areas. All SFHs have access to all amenities centers. The Golf Club is not part of the HOA, however. It is a daily fee course with memberships available to all.
* How restrictive is the HOA?
The HOA can get pretty frisky about toys/playsets/swings in the front yard or backyard structures that are visible from the street. Fairly restrictive about landscaping; but becoming more flexible as the drought warrants. Hit or miss on vehicles parked on the street for extended periods. HOA doesn't 'patrol' at night; so most parking violation have to be complaint driven. I haven't heard as much about apparent inconsistencies in enforcement(mainly landscaping); but I'm sure there are folks who suffer quietly. All-in-all, I'd say the HOA does a great job managing 4000 homes!

Thanks so much for any insights you can give us that will help with the decision.
The oldest homes in AR are in the 11-year range(and some others are still under construction); so, generally, AR is a fair bit newer than RRW...wider streets...easier access to highways...city of Austin address. Also, you will be in LISD, most likely. Some pros, some cons...kinda like life. Welcome to the Ranch!
My response in blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: