Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,559 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

My family is looking to relocate to Austin, TX and we have recently checked out this new neighborhood called Lakes at Northtown in Pflugerville, TX built by KB Homes. I was told to avoid anything "east of 35" but this neighborhood's homes are priced within our budget and are close to public transportation. Since I am not in the area, I would love to get any pros and cons about the area/neighborhood/builder. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
First of all, whoever said that is wrong. There are only certain pockets to avoid, not the entire stretch. Pflugerville is a nice town. I don't know anything about that neighborhood, however.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
ugh, do yourself a favor and ignore such dumb advice. There are plenty of good developments east of 35. I'm not going to launch into an argument about why the advice is dumb because it's been covered ad nauseum. I just wish it would stop.

It is not in Pflugerville, but in the Austin ETJ and served by Pflugerville schools.

That area is indeed pretty well served transportation wise, which is a plus. shopping mall (techridge) is another plus. Crime appears to be average.

Those particular schools that serve that area aren't the best of Pflugerville. Of the three PF high schools, Connally is the weaker of the trio. Not really sure about the middle and elementary. There are a number of housing developments (apartments) that might affect the school ratings.

You're probably going to get a chorus of anti-KB posts. We own a KB Home, albeit in another development. They are known for starter homes, and we purchased a so-called "move up" home that was aimed at the next tier of buyers. My feelings about the builder are a mixed bag of pros and cons. The home itself, I'd give about an 7.5 - 10. The foundation appears to be ok, and the overall worksmanship is satisfactory..definitely on par with the other builders in our neighborhood. The key thing to keep in mind is that they are a "no frills" builder -- you get four walls, windows and a door. The four walls, etc. are industry standard brands that are used by almost all builders. Anything else is an add on, and what's included you're likely to want to replace (they could have changed over the years to include better, more attractive fixtures). For some people, like us, we were willing to deal with that because it was cheaper in the long run and allowed for personal customization on our timetable (vs. having a bloated mortgage). Our house is basically night and day difference from when we purchased it. If you want all the frills and not want to pay $$ in options, then just go with another builder. That is why I deducted some points from them because of the add ons. By the time we tallied up our improvements, that 250K house is much more expensive. The plus side for us, again, is that our mortgage is lower and we aren't paying for sparkly things over 30 years (other builders add such frills into the purchase price), and we get to have the home the way we want it.

I'd also recommend giving Pflugerville proper a try, particularly NE Pflugerville. It is a rapidly growing area.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:40 PM

198 posts, read 397,788 times
We were thinking of moving about a year ago and toured the model homes at this community. As the poster above said, KB homes are basic homes with no frills added. Of course the model homes on site have all the upgrades and look really nice. Don't let that fool you. We looked at one home in which the base model was about $180k but then another $60k-ish was added in the upgrades. The home that you think is a great deal turns into a much more expensive mortgage.

There were a few homes available for re-sale in the community back when we looked and at that time, the re-sale prices were holding steady and homeowners were probably going to make a small profit/breakeven (a couple of the re-sale homes were only 1 and 2 years old).

There were a few reasons why we didn't like the community-
1. Location. The neighborhood is literally on the I-35 frontage road and it was difficult to get in and out on a Saturday afternoon. I can't imagine how how it would be during rush hour.
2. The KB sales rep was going on and on about how the upgrades were needed in order to protect your re-sale value and be competitive with your neighbors. Once again- adding more to your mortgage.
3. The community has a HOA run by KB directly. The sales rep started spouting off some of the HOA rules and regulations- I can't remember exactly what they were at the time, but they were ridiculous enough for us to leave and not tour the next model.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
There are a number of other neighborhoods in Pflugerville....Blackhawk is pretty popular.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:15 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,586 times
Don't know if it's gotten better but there were lots of foreclosures in that area before. You might be able to find a deal.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,365 times
I'm buying a home there. I did the small ranch 1,659 sq feet with some nice upgrades. Porcelan tubs and tile in bathrooms. Tile in kitchen and very nice 2nd level laminate floors (look close to real wood) 3rd level granite, water softener system, added a few lights here and there. Total $211,000. my interest rate is locked in at 4.25% so my payment with ins, taxes, etc. is $1,950 something... I lived in Pflugerville for 15 years sold my big house (kids are adults) rented 2 years and now buying here. Great community close to everything... Not as far as Pflugerville so it's Perfect. Pflugerville is still not a bad place to live. DON'T listen to everyone North Austin is booming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: