Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 PM

138 posts, read 451,613 times

Advertisements

I have been inquiring about RN jobs on the Austin, Round Rock, San Marcos areas- anywhere in these areas. 'RND' has been kind enough to share his/her experiences working in the area of one of the hospitals, and has brought up a pertinent thought about why the wages may not be so great for RN's. Because the greater Austin area is supposed to be so desireable to people- the hospitals do not tend to pay a decent wage- they think because greater Austin is so 'wonderful', that the employers think they can get away with poor pay, because the 'area' is so wonderful- that is supposed to make up for the difference. I do see this in Montana/Wyoming. The hospitals think that the draw to the 'Big Sky' country is so wonderful, that just living here should make you want to work for measly bucks. (these two states are at the bottom of the pay-scale as far as RN pay goes- they were number 48-49 earlier this year. I guess that if you have a beautiful view of the mountains, see elk and wolf, it must mean that you don't have a mortgage, have to buy food, or pay any utilities here!! HA!! If there are any other RN's here, on the forum, would you mind sharing your piece of mind on this subject? I have heard from one of you that the pay was $18.00, and I called, confirmed with the human resources office... then promptly went and sat down in dispair at the thought of being in that catagory of pay!! Please share any info that you know of, RN's! Thanks so much! (If you would rather e-mail me, that is fine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 04:48 PM

40 posts, read 221,912 times
I'm an RN in Austin and I get paid a whole lot more than that...a little over $20 more. But I also work PRN, with no benefits except for 401k. I d/k much about the reasoning as to why the pay may not be as high vs other places, but I do know that there are 2 major hospitals that you can work for...St. David's or Seton. There are others like The Heart Hospital (which also pay well), Austin Surgical, and Scott and White. So, there isn't a whole lot of competition, such as Houston or Dallas - which is pretty comparable to Austin's salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: