Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You left out Sun Harvest, which was at Anderson and Rockwood Lane for years and years until Sprouts bought them and then promptly closed them. Another reason I don't shop at Sprouts besides trying them and finding them sorely lacking - I can do better, cheaper, several other places in town.
Just a snapshot, when there were quite a few grocery stores along those streets. If I were going to include another one from that era (still around, of course), it would be Minimax.

I shopped at Sun Harvest and liked it quite a bit. I was sorry to see it go. However, it opened quite a bit later than the stores I mentioned, if memory serves. Others from later years were Whole Foods at Burnet and 183, and of course Skaggs/Albertson's, and the Rylanders/Tom Thumb/Randall's at Lamar and Koenig. It may be just that HEB, Minimax and Walmart for even a more expanded area east of Mopac and north of North Loop. Pretty sparse pickings, anyway.

Last edited by capcat; 02-15-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 03:59 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You left out Sun Harvest, which was at Anderson and Rockwood Lane for years and years until Sprouts bought them and then promptly closed them. Another reason I don't shop at Sprouts besides trying them and finding them sorely lacking - I can do better, cheaper, several other places in town.
THL, wasn't there a Sun Harvest on 183 just past Ohlen on the N side?

A lot of this in Austin is driven by the domination of HEB. The demise of Albertson's, and the closure of several Rylander stores after the sale to Tom Thumb were part. The move towards economies of scale as HEB consolidated into larger stores to is a big part as well. It is a complex problem, but it isn't helped by manufacturing faux moral outrages.

Was glad to see that SNAP can now be used for CSA subscriptions. But even they usually come to a central distribution point - which requires a car. So much for the "food desert".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin