Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atxroads View Post
Should we get off your lawn too?

Jeebus.
Given that we walked along the stretch of lawn beside the street where there was a lawn, and no one had an issue with it, not hardly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atxroads View Post
Should we get off your lawn too?

Jeebus.
I think she's saying just the opposite. That sidewalks aren't required everywhere - that walking in people's lawns has been done for years.

No sidewalks on my side of the street. You're more than welcome to walk in my lawn.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's a possibility if the RoW (even if unpaved) is accessible. And doesn't have a bunch of cactuses planted in it. And doesn't have a bunch of parked cars in the driveway blocking it (admittedly also a problem sometimes with sidewalks).

Or trees completely blocking them!

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
With limited resources, Austin should deploy then in the way that makes the best sense. Improve the areas that will benefit the most from having a good walkable network of walkable streets that people will actually use, generally those areas are the pre-war centrally located neighborhoods. These are the places that return the most to the city in taxes as well so it makes sense to reinvest resources there.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I think she's saying just the opposite. That sidewalks aren't required everywhere - that walking in people's lawns has been done for years.

No sidewalks on my side of the street. You're more than welcome to walk in my lawn.
This brings up a good question. Isn't there a public easement so many (8 or 10?) feet from the curb even with no sidewalk present?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
This brings up a good question. Isn't there a public easement so many (8 or 10?) feet from the curb even with no sidewalk present?
Yes, there usually (always?) is.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
The chronicle article seems to have neglected to include a link to the actual master plan (or at least I didn't see it):

http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...aster_Plan.pdf

Old 07-11-2014, 07:45 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Right, but the actual fact is that Hyde Park's sidewalks are terrible. There are a few decent main ones but just walking up and down Avenues its often better to simply walk in the road.
Read the article three times, I found no claim that there Hyde Park has excellent sidewalks.

It does have a fairly intact grid unlike the vast majority of Austin - which is exactly what the article claims.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Read the article three times, I found no claim that there Hyde Park has excellent sidewalks.

It does have a fairly intact grid unlike the vast majority of Austin - which is exactly what the article claims.
Intact might be the wrong term here. Who cares about a 'grid' if the actual sidewalks are crumbling

Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 AM

207 posts, read 463,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's a possibility if the RoW (even if unpaved) is accessible. And doesn't have a bunch of cactuses planted in it. And doesn't have a bunch of parked cars in the driveway blocking it (admittedly also a problem sometimes with sidewalks).
This is also part of the reason why sidewalks don't happen. The most vocal (and politically active) people in our neighborhood flip out when Austin Energy comes through and trims trees in the easement so that the lights stay on in a light breeze and people don't get electrocuted. The city coming through and actually paving over their little strip for other people would be something to watch that's for sure, preferably from a long way away and with a telescope.

As someone who likes to go for walks, even in the 100+ degree summers we have here, I am 100% pro sidewalks. They should be on every single street, even ones where you'd think there is no reason because as the article points out a lot of the problem is the non-sidewalked streets breaking up the islands of good sidewalks.

A street nearby me has sidewalks and mine doesn't. Guess which one families take their kids and pets for walks on. Guess which street gets loads of trick-or-treaters on Halloween. Guess which street feels more like a welcoming neighborhood. Not bad for a 5ft wide concrete strip laid down in the early 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin