Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Hey, of all of the things we could have a national reputation for, paying our fire fighters well is something I think we should be proud of. Kind of hard to think about "overpaying" someone who puts their health and life on the line on a regular basis to preserve OUR property and lives.
You got a mouse in your pocket? Because when you say "we", I just wonder who you are talking about? Since you don't live in Austin. Go run that up the flagpole in Jarrell. Just tell me when they stop laughing.

It isn't hard to think about at all. Overpaying is overpaying. The city is responsible for ensuring the safety of all citizens, not running a charity for the politically powerful. This is part of the reason Austinites are being taxed out of their homes. Good to see where your sympathies lie.

And before anyone starts with the pitchforks, my son-in-law is a detective here in Texas. He's the one that alerted me to the fact that APD pay averages almost 33% more than comparable urban police forces in Texas. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
scm53, have you forgotten that I still own a house in Austin, and work there, and until he retired my husband owned a business there? That I have lifelong friends that still live there? That I raised my now adult children there? That I PAY TAXES there (with no homeowner exemption)?

I do think that buys me the right to have an opinion, if one has to pay for that privilege.

I'd far rather pay a good wage to firefighters (and police, for that matter) than many of the boondoggles that my taxes go for. At least I'm getting something for my money that's good for Austin.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:19 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari2012 View Post
He likes Austin because fire departments are hiring there and the pay and benefits are a lot better than most places. He is also looking into Houston area but I've been told Austin is nicer than Houston.
So you have been to both places to evaluate them and make this blanket statement? Who exactly is telling this to you?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
scm53, have you forgotten that I still own a house in Austin, and work there, and until he retired my husband owned a business there? That I have lifelong friends that still live there? That I raised my now adult children there? That I PAY TAXES there (with no homeowner exemption)?
You have no more skin in the game than any other absentee landlord. There is ZERO danger of you being taxed out of your home due to overpaying the politically well connected.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You have no more skin in the game than any other absentee landlord. There is ZERO danger of you being taxed out of your home due to overpaying the politically well connected.
Actually, there is such a danger - taxes without any exemptions have caused us to consider more than once selling. And who says I'm an absentee landlord? When there's a tenant in the house, if there's a problem, we get the call and we respond (no more absentee than, say, driving across Dallas). When there's not a tenant, we, and family when in Austin, often stay in the house.

I get that you don't like that I disagree with you on this and think that those who provide us actual services, and in this case at risk of life and limb, deserve to be paid well for it. That doesn't mean that I have no "skin in the game", as you call it, nor does disagreeing with you in and of itself invalidate my opinion.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:26 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari2012 View Post
My husband is a big outdoorsman (boating, fishing, hunting and 4-wheeling) and fitness is another passion of ours so we would need a gym. We love to eat out and I love to shop. As far as a house, we would like a newer house with not much to update. Looking for a 4 bedroom in a nice friendly neighborhood. My husband would love lot of land with a house but I don't think with our budget, we will get much so a bigger lot is preferable but we're not too particular with that. And no kids yet but we would like an area with great schools.
with your budget you could easily get 10-20 acres with a larger house but you wont be in a neighborhood.

Although there are some master planned communities futher out that sell large plats and you would build your own house.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I get that you don't like that I disagree with you on this and think that those who provide us actual services, and in this case at risk of life and limb, deserve to be paid well for it. That doesn't mean that I have no "skin in the game", as you call it, nor does disagreeing with you in and of itself invalidate my opinion.
I know this might come as a shock - I don't care what you think. If Austin is attracting fire applicants from four states away, then they aren't "paid well for it" - they are overpaid. And they are overpaid, in no small part due to the fact that the former head of their union is a current council member - and has already gathered substantial firefighter contributions for his mayoral run. Bought and paid for.

Since you apparently are OK with no limits on public safety employee pay, and the impact on Austin homeowners, then I guess you'll be voting for Mike to keep the gravy train flowing. Oh, yea. I forgot ....

Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
I think Liberty Hill would be a good option to look at, just past Leander, west of Georgetown. You can get acreage and still be commuter distance to Austin.

Steve

Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 AM

8 posts, read 11,858 times
Nothing infuriates me more then people thinking police officers and firefighters do not do enough for their pay. Servicemen and women do so much more than people realize. To think professional athletes and lawyers get paid so much more than police officers and firefighters just boggles my mind. They don't risk leaving their families to save the life of others, they don't dedicate their lives to the well-fare of others. But servicemen and women do, and in my opinion they deserve a lot more than most cities give them. In Memphis, they are trying to take away their benefits, meaning if one of them gets injured on the job, they will not have the benefits to help get the care that they, as servicemen, give a community. Coming from a community who doesn't appreciate their servicemen and there has been over 500 police officers and firefighters not come into work, I would rather feel safe and know if my house is on fire or I get into a car accident that there will be people there to help me. But I think most people would rather live in a town who pays their servicemen and women more and gives them the respect that they deserve.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Two of my brother's grandsons are firefighters/EMTs - one in Austin, the other in Round Rock. Both love their jobs.

The one with RR FD just got hired a few months ago - he scored the highest on their application test, so that was a help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin