Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:52 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
It's amazing that we still haven't completely connected I-35 and 183 -- decades after it would've been completed elsewhere -- yet we still have to vote to approve a train to make it happen.
Additional ramps on I35/183 just don't gain you as much. They'd be some help, sure, but there's a reason they still haven't been done.

The ones that are there are eastbound 183 to S I35, and northbound 35 to west (NW) 183. So what's missing:

N 35 to E 183. This mainly only benefits a small stretch of I35 above 290. If you're coming up on 35 from south of 290, just go east on 290 and it will get you to 183.

westbound on 183 to S on I35. Similarly, just exit onto 290 from 183, and from there go south on I35.

eastbound 183 to northbound 35, or southbound 35 to northbound 183. Because of the way 183 is angled, most travelers going this way would be better cutting across on a sidestreet (Braker Ln?) earlier anyway. Going all the way down to the actual highway intersection will be out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 02:52 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Have you ever seen the waiting area in ABIA during spring break with the families off to Disney ? They surely make up for that lone traveler with the single suitcase on wheels.
If you've been to the airport during Spring Break, you'd see that it's full of SXSW travelers -- coming and going. The airport is absolutely overrun by those folks. You'd have to look hard for the family traveling to Disney at ABIA during Spring Break.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
If you've been to the airport during Spring Break, you'd see that it's full of SXSW travelers -- coming and going. The airport is absolutely overrun by those folks. You'd have to look hard for the family traveling to Disney at ABIA during Spring Break.
Hey..I was just giving an opinion. To build a rail to the airport for a once a year event is pretty expensive.

What about the day to day workers that don't go to the airport that often ?
Sure rail to the airport is nice but is that the #1 priority for Austin to alleviate the congestion of people trying to get to work ?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hey..I was just giving an opinion. To build a rail to the airport for a once a year event is pretty expensive.

What about the day to day workers that don't go to the airport that often ?
Sure rail to the airport is nice but is that the #1 priority for Austin to alleviate the congestion of people trying to get to work ?
Let me be clear, I don't think an airport line is the #1 priority. Or even #2 or 3. We agree on that, I think.

But they came up with a proposal (not based on any community input, mind you) that basically heads out to the airport but doesn't get there, yet makes it out to a community college campus (whose students would take the bus anyway). I prioritize ABIA over Highland mall. Hancock, Campus, DT and Riverside I understand. So build the extra 2 miles to the airport first, and make Hancock-Highland Mall a future phase.

And I think ABIA-DT would do a lot better than people are saying. It wouldn't be the crowds you might get from running urban rail along Mopac, of course, but ABIA is growing like crazy and hotels downtown are going up like crazy. There will be more folks going back and forth. Will they take the bus? Probably not. Taxis? Maybe, but aren't we already complaining about the lack of enough cabs? Rental cars? Probably. Great for the rental car companies but not for the people dealing with the extra traffic.

But like you, and everyone else posting, it's just my opinion. People are welcome to disagree, and I don't think anyone's mind is going to be changed at this point, so we'll just wait and see what happens in November.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Let me be clear, I don't think an airport line is the #1 priority. Or even #2 or 3. We agree on that, I think.

But they came up with a proposal (not based on any community input, mind you) that basically heads out to the airport but doesn't get there, yet makes it out to a community college campus (whose students would take the bus anyway). I prioritize ABIA over Highland mall. Hancock, Campus, DT and Riverside I understand. So build the extra 2 miles to the airport first, and make Hancock-Highland Mall a future phase.

And I think ABIA-DT would do a lot better than people are saying. It wouldn't be the crowds you might get from running urban rail along Mopac, of course, but ABIA is growing like crazy and hotels downtown are going up like crazy. There will be more folks going back and forth. Will they take the bus? Probably not. Taxis? Maybe, but aren't we already complaining about the lack of enough cabs? Rental cars? Probably. Great for the rental car companies but not for the people dealing with the extra traffic.

But like you, and everyone else posting, it's just my opinion. People are welcome to disagree, and I don't think anyone's mind is going to be changed at this point, so we'll just wait and see what happens in November.
You prioritize this - but I can say for certain that FTA does not. Your proposal would mean no FTA funding and no rail in Austin - ever.

And the development all around the airport is 100% auto oriented development. That's completely contrary to the dense urban infill that will highly benefit and support rail at Highland. Your priorities are 100% backwards.

But by all means, continue to beat a dead horse that 1. isn't going to happen, and 2. would be an incredibly bad idea if it did.

Oh, and BTW - running urban rail down MOPAC - another really bad idea.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:09 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Highland is _far_ from just a "community college campus". The redevelopment there is planned to include a lot more jobs and homes, in an entire planned development. Already you've got rackspace moving in there.

>>So build the extra 2 miles to the airport first

4.7 miles by google maps (from riverside/grove to the terminal). Remember it does you no good to get to the edge of the airport property, you have to get to the terminal. That's following the existing roads, you might be able to cut some corners and get down to ~4, but you can't run the line across runways or taxiways, and you need to avoid running it where stuff is already planned to expand.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
best way to get some pork is order pork with something someone else wants.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Miami built elevated in their city. And they have a combination of light rail, buses and heavy rail.
Miami was an already built out city when they started and was facing the same hot growth that Austin is facing today.
They started this back in the 80's when they were growing. I lived there back then and remember how the face of Miami changed as it grew up.

Miami-Dade Metrorail Transit - Railway Technology

Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You prioritize this - but I can say for certain that FTA does not. Your proposal would mean no FTA funding and no rail in Austin - ever.
I don't believe this, sorry. You can try to prove it if you want, but keep in mind we've all heard this talking point before. FTA has not made a definitive statement, even the current route isn't guaranteed any FTA money. When the bonds are passed, the official pitch can be made to the FTA, and some level of funding will likely be granted on the merits of the proposal and the availability of the money.

Quote:
And the development all around the airport is 100% auto oriented development. That's completely contrary to the dense urban infill that will highly benefit and support rail at Highland. Your priorities are 100% backwards.
Your opinion is noted.

Quote:
But by all means, continue to beat a dead horse that 1. isn't going to happen, and 2. would be an incredibly bad idea if it did.
Your position on the issue, which you've repeated far more often than me, is noted.

Quote:
Oh, and BTW - running urban rail down MOPAC - another really bad idea.
Oh, and BTW - I don't put much value in your opinion, in case you have not already noticed.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
Voting for it. Services me nicely. A line to the airport is a good thing.
Except for the fact that these bongs do not actually connect to the Airport.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin