Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Urban Trails Master Plan continues to face opposition. Environmentalists object to the hard surfaces.
I personally like crushed granite the best. Plus it is cheaper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Urban Trails Master Plan continues to face opposition. Environmentalists object to the hard surfaces.
Tremendously biased to only mention and quote those opposed to the plan and not those supporting it.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Washes away right zippy under the proper/improper circumstances...one reason much of the Brushy Creek Trail was switched to concrete. I'm all for DG in the right places; but the road bikers aren't going to like it if it isn't maintained. Actually, road bikers with skinny tires won't trust it.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:42 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

It also doesn't stay in place, creates more friction for bike tires, and has to be continuously maintained to keep grass from growing up through it. You also can't just blow away debris as you can with a concrete pathway. It's not really "cheaper" at all.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:16 AM

440 posts, read 714,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Most people are not even going to consider using a bike if they don't feel safe. And that's one of the reasons why we only have 2% citywide using bikes. The heat, distance and hills, and speed of cycling are all very much addressed by electric bicycles.

With safe infrastructure for 20mph electric bikes - you would move a LOT more people around the city. Auto traffic goes 40mph for 30 seconds, then sits at a light for 30 seconds. Incredibly inefficient on MANY levels.
I agree that ebikes should be part of the equation. They are in Amsterdam as well. In addition, mopeds are allowed on bike paths. I disagree.

The Moped Menace in the Netherlands | BICYCLE DUTCH

But if the Dutch can handle coexistence of all sorts of bicycles, eBikes AND petrol-powered mopeds, I figure regular bikes and eBikes could co-exist here. You can mod a Segway to hit 20 mph if you're so inclined.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
For a fraction of what the Austin City Council wants to spend on rail, we could build lots of bike lanes and bike roads and buy thousands of people a new bike.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
For a fraction of what the Austin City Council wants to spend on rail, we could build lots of bike lanes and bike roads and buy thousands of people a new bike.
We need to do both. Bikes and rail work better together.

Actually we need all of the above. Rail, bikes, pedestrian infrastructure, buses, and roads. We need more of everything if we're going to start digging ourselves out of this hole.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 AM

554 posts, read 1,061,021 times
I wonder what the environmental impact is for NOT building a paved bicycle transportation network? You know, the million of personal automobiles that will be clogging the streets, polluting the air, dripping oil on the land....

We need a paved surface. Many reasons why. Town lake trails get very dusty with bikes on them. No one wants to run or bike through the dusty air. Heavy rains erode the trails constantly. They are dangerous, even for mtn bikes - when the loose material builds up it's like trying to ride on the beach sand. Corners - ugh, super dangerous with loose material. As said above - it takes more energy to travel on. Road bikes are certainly out. Not too much of an issue on my ebike, but it would significantly reduce the viability of using them for transportation.

A paved bicycle network that is safe from distracted drivers using their pollution machines at high speeds is by far the most environmentally friendly option of travel. No urban transit will come close.

It's also by far the cheapest.
The healthiest.
The most enjoyable.
And still gives you the freedom of your own schedule.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
These AirWheels are even less expensive than electric bicycles. No peddling required. 12 mph. Up to 28 miles travel distance, depending on speed and which model you buy.

Offical AirWheel YouTube site: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTurboWheel

UpHill- DownHill on the smallest most basic unit: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ppE6O1wl-iM?list=UUEt-cdan_M-n4uvPrtg-Uyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Soccer Ball: 10 Yr Old AirWheel - YouTube

Commuting to work in heavy pedestrian traffic : Commute To Work just got FUN! - YouTube

Official AirWheel website: AirWheel electric unicycle | Self balancing Unicycle | AirWheel Official UK Site | Self Balancing Electric Unicycle

Amazon.com sells the Q3, 12mph, 24-28 miles distance per charge for $850: http://www.amazon.com/Airwheel-Pocke...0816376&sr=1-3

For many people this could eliminate the need for an automobile.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uRauoCbTj0k/mqdefault.jpg

http://images.viralnova.com/000/042/123/airwheel3.jpg

http://img11.nnm.me/b/6/b/8/9/dfb956...ae7abcd791.jpg

Last edited by Debsi; 09-17-2014 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted images changed to links

Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Just found another product similar to the AirWheel. The RockWheel or RockWay unicycle. Larger diameter tire, faster speed, longer distance range. Rockwheel Electric Unicycle - Home

Movie: http://youtu.be/t7b3n-Jicls

Wow! All of these amazing products coming out of China. Remember when China was the source of cheap, low quality products and America lead the world in innovation and high quality products?

These unicycles may not be the healthiest riding options, but they are usable by the elderly, people with knee, hip, joint problems, arthritis, loss of a limb, disability and others who cannot jog or ride a bicycle (I raise my hand). And isn't this issue mostly about getting people out of automobiles and using other forms of transportation. Bicycle paths should accommodate all of our citizens who can benefit from them. And that results in a huge increase in people who will be in favor of bicycle pathways.

Hell, I may explore an Amazon Drone for my next visit to my Doctor's office... it probably beats the last Yellow Cab service that I did NOT get to the airport on time....

http://www.zdnet.com/amazon-unveils-...ly-7000033460/

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-16-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin