Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 03:25 PM

300 posts, read 414,197 times

Advertisements

The property value around the lake could increase. Those properties are still valuded and sold for less than the level of 2007. It is the only area that you could still purchase properties for belowing the 2008 price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The Oasis gets a whole lot more visitors when the lake is full.
But just as an exercise, we assume the lake rises 10 feet and pretty much holds at that level...doesn't make a huge difference in the vista from the Oasis, I wouldn't think. The lake would just look 'less empty' by comparison.

Part of the question would be...what would the difference in attitude be IF the lake only rose 10 feet? Would folks get very excited about lake living again...or would the 'old timers' still notice the missing 20 +feet?

I suppose the lake could recover the ten feet I propose...and then hold that level for the next five years of drought! As I mentioned, we've never seen the lake(s) recover since we moved here in '08. A lot of folks who moved here in the last three years or so might just figure what we see is what we get...they don't know nuthin different!

Old 09-19-2014, 05:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
But just as an exercise, we assume the lake rises 10 feet and pretty much holds at that level...doesn't make a huge difference in the vista from the Oasis, I wouldn't think. The lake would just look 'less empty' by comparison.

Part of the question would be...what would the difference in attitude be IF the lake only rose 10 feet? Would folks get very excited about lake living again...or would the 'old timers' still notice the missing 20 +feet?

I suppose the lake could recover the ten feet I propose...and then hold that level for the next five years of drought! As I mentioned, we've never seen the lake(s) recover since we moved here in '08. A lot of folks who moved here in the last three years or so might just figure what we see is what we get...they don't know nuthin different!
The lake was full in 2010. Even now, with the rises, the sometimes peninsula has become sometimes island again and is getting smaller. Windy Point has reduced in size as well.

10 feet won't solve all problems, but we may actually be able to light fire crackers on New Year's without the burn ban.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:19 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
we've never seen the lake(s) recover since we moved here in '08.
It was full in 20010-2011. If they had not released for rice in 2011, then the lake would have an estimated 22 more feet of water in it right now.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It was full in 20010-2011. If they had not released for rice in 2011, then the lake would have an estimated 22 more feet of water in it right now.
I guess I don't remember its being full since BIL's property on the river just below Lake Marble Falls has not seen boat-able water even during that 2010-11 time. I can't imagine how 'full' LT must be for there to be water in 'his' stretch of the river...you could/can virtually walk across to the other side. Take a look at Google earth view of the stretch of river below the dam in Marble Falls...more sand than water pretty much since we moved here His property has been for sale for the last four years...not a single prospective buyer has any 'live' visual proof that his 'boat ramp' is anything more than a concrete driveway that abruptly ends 15 feet above the river bed

Old 09-19-2014, 10:28 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Just for grins, load up the Google Earth program and use the history button to scroll the satellite photos back and forth in time. Quite interesting, actually . To be fair, it wasn't full for long in 2011 - it was low, filled up in a rain event, then dropped rapidly as the drought continued where it left off but both major releases for rice farming were green-lighted.

Edit: went back and looked at the actual data, and I guess it was 2010 that it was full and by 2011 it was on its way down, but there were two releases in 2011 - huge stink about it at the time.

In any case, in Mar-Jun of 2010, the lake was at levels from 675-682 feet. After June 2010, the long, slow drop began. The lake dropped 35' between April and October 2011.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-19-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Just for grins, load up the Google Earth program and use the history button to scroll the satellite photos back and forth in time. Quite interesting, actually . To be fair, it wasn't full for long in 2011 - it was low, filled up in a rain event, then dropped rapidly as the drought continued where it left off but both major releases for rice farming were green-lighted.
Thanks, Did not know about that...guess I'll be spending MORE time at the computer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin