Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

I got a notice from NeighborWoods about free trees for my yard. They even marked where they believed I should plant a tree. I looked it up and they appear to be legit (they want to increase "urban forests" and decrease the urban heat island effect) but I wanted to make sure.

Anyone else get a notice from them and flag(s) in your yard? It's strange but they actually marked the exact spot that I was going to be planting a tree anyway so it's nice to be able to get a free tree.

I just wanted to make sure there's "no strings attached".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM

327 posts, read 774,741 times
http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/uplo...ghborwoods.pdf

It looks legit to me. A 5 gallon tree is pretty small, but it's free for you....

Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Some group (not sure it is the same one) did this some years ago in our neighborhood. We were in the process of putting in our own trees, so did not take them up on it. What type of tree is it they are offering?

Btw, I am a firm believer in planting small trees. We have anecdotal evidence in our own yard that they surpass the larger ones after a few years.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
It looks like they evolved out of the City of Austin tree program. The City gave me two trees years ago as part of that program. They did mark the locations they wanted them placed.

Quote:
NeighborWoods is sponsored by the City of Austin’s Climate Protection Program to lower summer temperatures and reduce energy consumption by investing in tree canopy cover that will shade paved streets.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
It's legit. It's part of a loose movement called urban reforestation which is committed to getting more trees into our cities to replace some of the trees cut down to build the cities, for both beautification and ecological improvement.

A buddy of mine in Seattle and his volunteer crew were responsible for over 100,000 trees being planted on both city and private property as a charitable effort when I lived there. Totally cool!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:44 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
The freebies were offered in Avery Ranch a couple of years ago. IF you had sizable trees(2 or more), you didn't get the notice. In our immediate neighborhood, I'd say nearly everyone planted the freebies and perhaps 2/3 of them are doing OK. It's amazing how many people choke their trees with tethers and stakes but never move or REmove them over time. Some HOAs have guidelines for the removal of the support stakes, but I've seen as many as three angle-iron stakes surrounding a tree for over 4 years! Sometimes the tethers have been cut or untied for many months. In a lot of cases, folks just 'stake' them and forget 'em.

I'd skip the Live Oaks if there are other options, BTW. Should be some faster growing, better looking trees in the mix.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times
We were given this offer about 5 years ago and picked a scrawny Monterey Oak. That tree is now an impressive 15 foot gorgeous tree. Monterey Oaks do great here!

And yes, staking a small tree is totally unnecessary. It does, however, need regular trickle watering until it is established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin