Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 03:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times

Advertisements

Or reconsider how important "views" are. I can't imagine living as far out as Travisso. Especially since I re-read your first post and your job is downtown!! Good lord, take another look at the early suggestions in this post, Lost Creek, Senna Hills, NW Hills, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 04:26 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Or reconsider how important "views" are. I can't imagine living as far out as Travisso. Especially since I re-read your first post and your job is downtown!! Good lord, take another look at the early suggestions in this post, Lost Creek, Senna Hills, NW Hills, etc.
Exactly. The idea of spending a million dollars on a home that far out in an unproven new subdivision is the definition of crazy --- particularly when you're unfamiliar with Austin and are working downtown. There are many better alternatives in that budget.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:15 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
I still think dominion at great hills is one of the best areas that meets the OP criteria.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:04 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
Check out Barton Creek West too, just west of Senna Hills. That should fit your criteria.

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2014, 11:39 AM

319 posts, read 737,357 times
This really depends what is MOST important to you. Hill Country views? Absolute "best" public elementary school? Easy access to downtown? Likely home appreciation? Cost?

Many of these things are competing items. Once you have ranked these things, it becomes much easier. Finding ourselves in almost exactly the same situation as you, we decided to "invest" in the Rollingwood area. Closest to downtown and still in Eanes ISD. Maps to Eanes Elementary, one of the highest "ranked" public elementary schools in Texas. Minutes from St. Andrews or St Stephens private schools. Walk to Zilker for park, ACL, etc. neighborhood pool, parades, etc. 10 minute drive to everything downtown. Diverse population of original owner retirees, artists, professors, lawyers, business, software engineers, inventors,etc. One of our neighbors is the Yeti cooler inventor, another is a cnn political commenter. Whole Food execs, physicians, etc. We love it. The sacrifice? Size of lot, no hill country views, expensive. But if I was advising you, I would tell you that you will be much happier dropping $1mm on something here that you can update/improve over time than a big house behind a gated community further out. And as far as purchase security, I think you can hardly do better. As an example, we bought our first home in the area in 2011. In May 2014 we sold it for 50% more after all fees, etc. That allowed us to build a new home here on a tear down lot.

There are many great options, but I wanted to detail this one for you.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
Sounds like River Place to me. Plenty of homes with views in that price range and in Leander ISD with good schools.

40 minutes to downtown would not be a problem.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:50 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
This really depends what is MOST important to you. Hill Country views? Absolute "best" public elementary school? Easy access to downtown? Likely home appreciation? Cost?

You will have trouble getting all of that for $600 - 800k. Lots with really nice views in the Barton Creek area are $500k and up.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 PM

105 posts, read 219,417 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. Curious1111, we are following a similar strategy as you and buying in Westlake Highlands. It needs a lot of work, but has views, good lot size, great schools, and proximity to downtown. Hoping to close at the end of the month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin