Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,528,491 times

Advertisements

Another ugly, affordable condo skyscraper about to added to Austin's skyline:

The Independent to be tallest condo tower west of Mississippi | KXAN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:20 PM

997 posts, read 1,313,136 times
I sense sarcasm dripping?

That has to be a typo in the link, they are building 370 units on 1.7 acres?

Old 04-14-2015, 12:02 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,782 times
Austin = New York City - South!

All the New York, New Jersey, Connecticut license plates the past few years! Makes sense! This is their demon influence!

Old 04-14-2015, 12:14 AM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Latest plan for Museum Plaza site dies

Signature Tower, Nashville, Tennessee: NashvillesMLS.com

Deep breath sigh...

Old 04-14-2015, 12:27 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Austin = New York City - South!
...let's not get crazy, here. If anything, that would be Houston considering how much MORE they're building along with the millions of high rises they already have.

Still, I like to see Austin's skyline transformation. Hard to believe that just 8 years ago, it looked nothing like what it does now.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:57 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,532,398 times
We can't prevent what's happening downtown, so we need to embrace the positives. Are they expensive? Yes. But this is an overall increase in supply that will ripple down into the existing, more affordable condo market. The second positive - these are people who will either walk to work, or reverse commute. Much better than paving over farmland and adding cars to I-35 and Mopac.

We can't preserve the CBD with the current zoning, but moving forward, we need to avoid upzoning what open space we have remaining in the core - Lions Muni, The Statesman site, Bull Creek, Hancock GC, etc.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:50 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...let's not get crazy, here. If anything, that would be Houston considering how much MORE they're building along with the millions of high rises they already have.

Still, I like to see Austin's skyline transformation. Hard to believe that just 8 years ago, it looked nothing like what it does now.
Austin's skyline completely transforms about every 4 or 5 years now. It's amazing how break-neck of a pace skyscrapers are going up here, and they're largely residential too.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,166 times

Filling in those gaps little by little.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:19 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,532,398 times
I think the rendering above (with the bowstring truss pedestrian bridge) presents a very romanticized vision of Shoal Creek. It could happen if they built a dam/spillway where it meets Town Lake. That would be pretty stellar.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
I think the rendering above (with the bowstring truss pedestrian bridge) presents a very romanticized vision of Shoal Creek. It could happen if they built a dam/spillway where it meets Town Lake. That would be pretty stellar.
I run across the existing foot bridge at 3rd street once or twice a week on my lake/downtown route, through all that construction south of 5th along the railroad tracks there. I've been watching it all come together for a couple of years now. The Trader Joe's sign is up. The building are getting taller, coming along. Now this.

I actually think that part of downtown may turn into one of the best spots in Austin, though it does seem landlocked pretty badly, so I expect a major traffic snarl in there.

But in the ongoing "what do we do next?" conversation with my wife about our soon to be empty nesterdome, we ponder whether we could get by in a 1 bedroom downtown. Since we've decided we could in fact live in a motorhome for a year traveling, and been out to Crestview looking at them, a 1-bedroom now seems spacious. This conversation alternates with our "let's cash out of Austin and leave this mess" conversation, so we're all over the map, kind of neurotic. But a downtown condo is back on the table even though we ruled it out a year ago.

If the new library which will be there along Shoal Creek as well turns into something which, for people like us, could represent a "third place" to hang out - a sort of combo library, community gathering, coffee-shop type of hub - , that would be an added benefit. Getting by with 1 car in semi-retirement, plus a scooter or bike. Proximity to the hike and bike trail, which we do use regularly. This offers a lot of lifestyle features unique to the downtown area.

Still not sure it would be our cup of tea though.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin