Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,957,261 times

Advertisements

It's not that the people who voted against it don't support rail, most simply don't support outrageously expensive rail plans that do nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,743,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
It's not that the people who voted against it don't support rail, most simply don't support outrageously expensive rail plans that do nothing.
Well let's just wait and see the price tag for IH-35 improvements in Travis County. I believe the words of choice will be 'staggering' and 'unprecedented.'

Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,893,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Agreed, at least partly. I do think there is support for rail -- and I do believe that many people who voted against this proposal would have voted for rail in another form. I don't think this rail plan would have done "nothing", but I do think it was far from adequately addressing any of the transit woes of this city. The reasons this failed were not because it was rail, or even the pricetag alone. It failed because the starter route was not good, and the path to a complete transit system was not at all well defined. This was known to the planners for a long time, it was told to them repeatedly by the public and many urban transit activists. First and foremost, when you ask the public to fund something you have to show them value. Whatever the positive arguments for this particular route were, it was destined to fail if it couldn't show any benefit to the majority of voters.

The fact that rather than addressing the core problem, they chose to tie in road spending as a hostage and revert to scare tactics ("ignore the flaws -- if we don't pass this we're doomed forever") just strengthened the belief by the public that this was a really bad plan. It ended looking like an acknowledgement of what everyone suspected.

I do hope that a new council and new mayor will reach out to some of the transit supporters who opposed this plan, learn from this mistake and come up with a better plan. I actually don't think it will be long before another proposal comes up -- there is no way the new council will ignore the traffic issue. Remember that after the 2000 rail proposal was defeated, the red line vote came only a few years later in 2004. Of course, the red line itself (and the master plan they proposed then -- All Systems Go") then set us back 10 more years. It was very hard to put up a new proposal in 2008 or 2010, when the Red Line was suffering delays. Then after it finally opened, the ridership was too low for another rail proposal to stand a chance for another 4 years.

Honestly, when I'm stuck on Mopac tomorrow, I'll feel a lot better because I'm not going to have my already high property taxes skyrocket for a rail system that won't help Mopac traffic at all. And I'll be happy that a poorly designed plan wasn't rewarded with $1.3B of our tax money.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,283,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Well let's just wait and see the price tag for IH-35 improvements in Travis County. I believe the words of choice will be 'staggering' and 'unprecedented.'
The number is known. $1.25 to $1.91B, to improve 35 from Round Rock to Buda. Or roughly the same price as nine miles of rail. In comparison, seems pretty reasonable. And much more effective in improving mobility throughout the metro.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:01 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,910,886 times
The rail price was too expensive.

I am a life-long westside Austin resident. Here is how I handle bad traffic: I don't drive in it. I simply do not use IH35 between 183 and Ben White, ever; and I pretend that Mopac and 360 do not exist between 7am and 6pm. I drive happily like it was 1968...

Old 11-05-2014, 12:17 AM

115 posts, read 223,516 times
Cmon mayor leffingwell. Step away from your pc, stop making new threads and go to bed already. Hey man, be happy you live in a historical landmark.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:20 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,893,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
I simply do not use IH35 between 183 and Ben White, ever; and I pretend that Mopac and 360 do not exist between 7am and 6pm. I drive happily like it was 1968...
Shh! You've said too much already.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:03 AM

719 posts, read 2,667,801 times
I am disappointed in the election results. We just passed up a huge opportunity to stimulate development in the core. Developing the core instead of the suburbs would've in itself alleviated congestion and have been more environmentally sustainable. Furthermore, are people forgetting that Lamar/Guadalupe is already served by TWO rapid bus lines? Each time we delay the development of light rail, it becomes more expensive. The ideal situation would've been to vote for rail back in 2000.

EDIT: I think an even smarter solution would be to develop a PROPER rapid bus system (with their own designated lanes) instead of light rail. It would accomplish the same thing in a more cost-effective manner. Such a proposal lacks the glamour of an LTE, but I think a proposal could still fair a chance in Austin with its pragmatic and educated voters.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 AM

269 posts, read 428,567 times
The City had ample opportunity to choose a better route for rail. Had they actually listened to the people in choosing a route instead of going with their own special interests, rail couldve passed. Rails failure falls squarely on the city leadership, thankfully most of them are being ousted.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:55 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,533,000 times
The rail line should have run along I-35 and been packaged with I-35 improvements while the highway was torn up. People would have rejected it anyways because it didn't help their own situation if they didn't live along I-35. Same for Mopac rail improvements, or any other highway that received special attention, so what are we do? Try to pass a 6-7billion bond to tackle all the areas at once? That won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin