Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:43 PM

14 posts, read 31,251 times

Advertisements

I'm not a dog owner, and have never owned one.

I think some owners let their run free in neighborhoods unaccompanied... or maybe they let the dog out for a potty break, and it runs off...

Is this common with dog owners? Seems insane to me, but I don't know, I haven't owned dog. I know cat owners that let their cat out and it returns...

I see dogs unaccompanied every now and then... usually small ones. Should I just call 311... I'm just concerned this will cause trouble... ie: maybe the dog does this regularly and always goes back to the house... now the dog's at a shelter, and the owner doesn't know...

I have thought about bringing the dog in, till I can track the owner... I'm concerned someone may think I'm stealing the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 05:44 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
I think you are seeing stray dogs. Quite common in most of Texas.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
I usually pick them up, check the collar and bring them home.

My dog sometimes runs off.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:07 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
I see Chihuahuas running around, even random chickens.

Bring the dog in, post on your local neighborhood forum or make signs.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:34 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
I doubt very seriously that they're truly stray dogs. Most of the time, dogs have dug out, escaped through an open door or gate, or broken through weak fences because they've gotten scared of something. If it was me, I'd try to catch the dog and see if it has tags then call the owner or whatever vet is listed on a rabies tag. If no tags, take it to an emergency vet to be scanned for a microchip. Post signs, post in Facebook groups and Craigslist, etc. Regardless, I wouldn't let it keep running free for fear that it would be killed by a car or freeze/starve to death. We've done that three times in the past year and all three times, we've succeeded in finding the owners who were very appreciative. (The dogs got out -- they weren't let out to run free)

Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM

26 posts, read 33,380 times
Some people just lack the care that their dogs get out. The dogs always return, so they don't see the need to spend time\money to properly contain and care for them.

I have a very large breed and make every effort to not let him out unaccompanied by a human. However, sometimes the kids are playing and don't properly secure the gate and he gets loose.

If it's a common occurrence and you are concerned, I'd follow the dogs and inform the owner that they are getting out often. Grabbing a strange dog where you do not know the shot history or temperament of the dog is not wise. Even a small Scottish Terrier can mangle your hand where you will need surgery.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
In my area they are usually not strays. I live in a neighborhood with golf courses and larger lots and it's common for one or two dogs to get out of their yards per week. At least there are two threads a week announcing a lost or found dog our our neighborhood list serve. Some dogs are just clever. Or bored.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:09 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
I seen a pit bull strolling down the street a couple weeks ago..no owner in sight...it was just running down the sidewalk....not about to go out and see if it wants me to take it home

Old 11-17-2014, 08:56 AM

14 posts, read 31,251 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm curious, for those of you whose dogs have gotten out... What steps do you take to find the dog? Do you go to the Austin Animal Center to see if your dog is there?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Not in our neighborhood as it would take a lot for them to get out of the neighborhood and get 'that lost', so to speak. They are usually found before they've had enough time to make it too far as people post on the list serve with pics and location.

Some of the smaller ones, like chihuahuas, never turn up because of the coyotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: