Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 04:01 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times

Advertisements

Yep.

No Italians no Italian food.

So either move here and open a joint or rest assured that when you are cooking it's probably the best Italian being served on said evening.

Now lets talk BBQ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:11 PM

515 posts, read 558,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Yep.

No Italians no Italian food.

So either move here and open a joint or rest assured that when you are cooking it's probably the best Italian being served on said evening.

Now lets talk BBQ...
Yes! Come on down and open a restaurant misterfart.....I didn't realize that was an Italian name.

Or is it Sicilian?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:41 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I grew up in a town where pretty much all restaurant food was Italian. Nearly all family owned. Fabulous.

You will find nothing like that here. N O T H I N G Mainly because there aren't very many Italians here. During the historic period for southern European immigration to the US say, 1830 to 1920, nearly none of them came to Texas. (And there was very little for them to come to, almost no manufacturing in Texas then).
THIS.

There are a few places with some good Italian food.

Think about it- some of the cities with the BEST Italian food are cities that benefited from a large influx of Italian immigrants. That just didn't happen around here. There's no "Little Italy" in Austin! So you just won't find the depth and breadth that you'd find in New York or the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco.

But there are a few good ones!

Old 12-12-2014, 09:46 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
There is ZERO good Italian food in Austin. There is now some mediocre to passable Italian food: a few dishes at Olive & June, Andiamo, Asti, Patrizio's. The cheap Italian food beyond the usual execrable chains: Frankie & Angies, Brick Oven et al is appalling and the expensive Italian food: Carmelo's, Sienna, Vespaio, Lisina is SO bad, that I would rather gouge one of eyes out with a spoon than eat it.

Whenever I want good Italian food and don't want to make it myself, I drive the 79 miles to San Antonio. Il Sogno is superb, and there are a few less fancy places that are also good: Ciao Lavanderia is one of my favorites.

Come on down to Austin. The city is DESPERATE for good Italian food.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:21 PM

126 posts, read 150,908 times
spaghetti warehouse hahahahahahahahahah. but its busy

Old 12-12-2014, 10:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossh0g View Post
spaghetti warehouse hahahahahahahahahah. but its busy
Was going to make a 1990's joke out of this, but to my surprise it didn't close until 2010!

Shows you how often I went!

Old 12-12-2014, 11:17 PM

211 posts, read 431,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
Friend and I are looking at Austin as a possible relocation destination soon and coming from NY/NJ area, was wondering how the Italian food is?

We have lived other places and know that food options are always a concern. We come from Upstate NY (arguably better Italian than anywhere else in NY) and just wanna know how the experience is with other Italian food there? We already know Tex Mex and barbecue are obvious strengths. What about Vietnamese as well?

Thank you for any help or insight in advance.
What part of upstate NY? Out of curiosity..

Old 12-13-2014, 12:26 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Well I personally prefer Italian-American food over true Italian food. Reale's satisfies my Italian American fix and the owner comes from my home borough of the Bronx, New York. Arthur Avenue. He's the real deal to me.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:41 AM

126 posts, read 150,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Was going to make a 1990's joke out of this, but to my surprise it didn't close until 2010!

Shows you how often I went!
i did not know they closed down. i finally moved away from austin in 2010. hopefully for good. i hated the spaghetti warehouse, but it was always busy when i was around it.

food is so subjective. i dont even know what good food is anymore.. just food i find good to eat.

i make my own pasta.. i get a lil garlic, red pepper and let them do some magic in some olive oil in my saute pan... then i finish my pasta off in it.. hit it with a dab of the pasta water and then some cheese and maybe some more oil.. to me, this is great Italian food. simple yet hard to do right

Old 12-13-2014, 09:50 AM

150 posts, read 392,933 times
Gino's Round Rock is decent, and IMHO better than Reale's!
Gino's Italian Restaurant | Great Family, Great Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin