Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Well, the OP stated that she had issues with HOA's other than just the lawn, with asking permission to do anything to her own property, so an HOA is not for her. It's not for a lot of people, I'm finding out, as that is often a requirement that buyers give me: "ANYWHERE but an HOA". Fortunately, there are plenty of non-HOA neighborhoods where someone who is convinced that the only way people will take care of their property would swear IS in an HOA, so people who want to control the property they make the payments on have choices. Not as many new houses (except in the very high end range) as cities try to foist off some of their responsibilities for infrastructure onto HOAs and encourage them, but plenty of established neighborhoods, and SOME new ones as builders figure out the demand.

For many people, city regulations are sufficient. The OP appears to be one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM

40 posts, read 58,897 times
Thank you again, TexasHorseLady. You are very kind to assume the best in people!

Indeed, my front is carefully xeriscaped and hardscaped. In the small, fenced-in backyard, my dogs run around and they tore up what little grass there was. When it's time to move, I will make it look it nice again.

HOAs also require permission to add things like storage sheds. In my case, I built myself a "deerwatch" -- an elevated platform treehouse-like structure where I sit to do wildlife photography:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/95854225@N02/sets
In addition, I bring my telescope up to do stargazing. It's a simple structure that I built myself, but I would have had to get permission from an HOA, which usually involves providing drawings, measurements, and a long time and a lot of bureaucracy.

So, yes, an HOA is not for me.

Again, thank you, THL -- you are quite kind and have been really helpful!

Old 01-25-2015, 12:07 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Just as an FYI, your "deerwatch" could likely require a permit (and permission) from a city, even w/o an HOA.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:36 PM

It's easily movable, takedownable. I've had chickens and a goat, as well, in the past, right in Austin city limits. I guess I live dangerously.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:18 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgette View Post
Part of the reason I don't want an HOA is that I don't want to have to deal with officially checking with their management about anything.
However, regarding Texas law, a realtor told me that 25% of one's front yard must be grass according to Texas law. That's a ridiculous, backwards, wasteful, and environmentally unfriendly rule. I think they should be *encouraging* xeriscaping, zeroscaping, hardscaping, and edible landscaping.
Don't take legal advice from a real estate agent or broker - or random people on the internet. A license to sell real estate does not equate to a license to practice law.

You are wise to avoid HOA burdened properties. It's amazing how often real estate folks try to steer you into these places or expect you to defend your decision. Bottom line is some folks learned they don't want perpetual liens that can never be paid off, junk fees for the vendors, the legal entanglement, or having individuals or management companies threatening them with private "fines" and tacky letters.

The vast majority of housing built in the last few decades around Austin has involuntary membership HOAs. These weren't created to meet any market demand by buyers but rather for the benefit of local government and the developers under the guise of a "private agreement among the homeowners" who weren't even sitting at the table when these documents were drafted. Local government policies pretty well tend to mandate them. You will likely have to find older housing or new housing built in older neighborhoods to avoid HOAs. You'll enjoy much better quality of life without one.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 01-25-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 05:45 PM

Thank you, IC_deLight! Yes, I have *always* avoided HOAs, and it's the first thing I've always specified to a realtor.

Why would a real estate agent steer a client toward an HOA neighborhood? Does it somehow benefit the agent ??

Old 01-25-2015, 05:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Not to my knowledge, curmudgette.

What really benefits an agent is not a commission (though that's really nice, just like anyone's paycheck is to them ), but a happy and satisfied customer who is not only likely to return but to spread the word about what a great job you did. That pays off a whole lot more than a particular kind of neighborhood, the prices being equal.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:57 PM

By the way, the HOAs I've seen in Georgetown are operated by highly obnoxious third-party management companies whose only job is to collect money, levy fines, and harass residents. They'll send you a 50-page document of their rules if you ask questions. They remind me of the apartment rental companies that I had to deal with back when I was a student in the early '80s.

I'm spoiled from living in no-HOA areas -- I can buy a cute tree from Lowes on a whim or get a storage shed.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, the OP stated that she had issues with HOA's other than just the lawn, with asking permission to do anything to her own property, so an HOA is not for her. It's not for a lot of people, I'm finding out, as that is often a requirement that buyers give me: "ANYWHERE but an HOA". Fortunately, there are plenty of non-HOA neighborhoods where someone who is convinced that the only way people will take care of their property would swear IS in an HOA, so people who want to control the property they make the payments on have choices. Not as many new houses (except in the very high end range) as cities try to foist off some of their responsibilities for infrastructure onto HOAs and encourage them, but plenty of established neighborhoods, and SOME new ones as builders figure out the demand.

For many people, city regulations are sufficient. The OP appears to be one of those.
The fewer laws the better to be sure. If I wanted someone to tell me what to do with the space I live in my parents will let me do that for free.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Thank you, IC_deLight! Yes, I have *always* avoided HOAs, and it's the first thing I've always specified to a realtor.

Why would a real estate agent steer a client toward an HOA neighborhood? Does it somehow benefit the agent ??
Because the real estate agent needs to "close deals" to get paid. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a real estate agent in Austin. If HOA housing is off the list then they have little or no inventory of other people's property to sell. The agent gets paid when the deal closes. No closing, no pay.

Quote:
By the way, the HOAs I've seen in Georgetown are operated by highly obnoxious third-party management companies whose only job is to collect money, levy fines, and harass residents. They'll send you a 50-page document of their rules if you ask questions. They remind me of the apartment rental companies that I had to deal with back when I was a student in the early '80s.

I'm spoiled from living in no-HOA areas -- I can buy a cute tree from Lowes on a whim or get a storage shed.
Yup ... and private "fining" is heavily promoted by the management company. When they have a contract that provides for $$ for every letter threatening a violation, it doesn't take long for them to flood subdivisions with tacky letters making accusations for profit. They also try to create a "late fee" scheme which diverts your assessments to generate "late fees" which all go to the management company. They also try to impose "transfer fees" for the sole benefit of the management company - the list of fee pyramiding schemes is always evolving. Those 50 page documents? They often insist upon $100 - $200 or more for those documents as well - all off the books of the HOA corp.

Some management companies engage in very deceptive insurance practices as well. They will "recommend" an entity to provide/secure insurance without revealing the entity is an affiliate of the management company which is only going to recommend coverage under policies owned by the management company or its parent. The board thinks they are purchasing an insurance policy. Instead they are "purchasing" coverage under a policy owned by the management company or its parent. The same coverage is sold to other HOA corps with none of them aware of all the other HOAs sharing the same coverage.

Hope you are able to find non-HOA housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: