Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:29 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No - I am not having a bad day at all. I just don't get why someone would pick a city based on pro sports when most NEVER go to a pro game. Baseball is only kinda affordable. And I like sports.

But if you are good - you can find work in Austin. Don't be afraid to look in non-traditional places like local governments, school districts, etc. You can even consider Dell - but don't plan to stay long.

A difference between Austin and the other cities in Texas is the number of companies here where their business is IT. Software companies. Silicon. Etc. That's different than working in Houston for petro or Dallas for telcomm or banking.

One of my key coworkers is a Chicago native that moved here about 10-12 years ago. He would never move back. There are few things he misses of course - mostly certain foods. But doesn't miss the weather, the politics, the taxes, the corruption, etc.
I dont know - I can see how some people would want to move to a city (or region) that is known for pro sports. They want to immerse themselves in that culture, go to games year round (football, hockey etc) and be able to meet like-minded people who are also into that. I know someone who moved to St Louis just for that reason alone.

But that is why I dont think Austin is for the OP...its not really a sports-oriented city at all (other than college football at UT). There are no pro teams here, and people in Austin dont want any, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:04 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
But that is why I dont think Austin is for the OP...its not really a sports-oriented city at all (other than college football at UT).
I guess if you're strictly talking professional sports then I guess I agree. But, I do think Austin is a very sports oriented city aside from professional sports. The Austin area has minor league professional Development league basketball (Austin Spurs), ice hockey (Texas Stars), soccer (Austin Aztex), and baseball (Round Rock Express). All of these are very family friendly and can be affordable. This isn't even counting UT sports, F1, X-Games, high school sports (mainly football), etc.

So, that means that the Austin area might even be a better place for a sports oriented family to live. My entire family of four can go to a Round Rock Express baseball game for less than the cost of a movie as they offer Kid's club tickets that are almost free ($15 per kid total for like 16 games throughout the season so less than $1 per game for the kids if you hit them all).

I have a choice of four different soccer leagues that my kids could join within 3 miles of my house so they could easily play soccer year round. All the other sports including youth ice hockey and lacrosse are available for my kids as early as 5 years old I think. A nice skate park is less than a mile away from me and at least one BMX track is within 3 miles. You can easily play in adult softball, basketball, or soccer leagues year round here. I've even played a little adult flag football here in a night league. Austin is 100% a sports oriented city.

Baseball
The Official Site of The Round Rock Express | rrexpress.com Homepage

Hockey
Texas Stars Hockey

D League Basketball
http://austin.dleague.nba.com/roster/]

Soccer
Austin Aztex - Austin's Soccer Destination

Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Austin is 100% a sports oriented city.
Absolutely - perhaps one of the most sports oriented cities in the country. The mistake is in defining "sports oriented" as "possesses major league sports", a remarkably shallow definition. Not professional sports, only major league will do. Not one of the top rated men's and women's college athletic programs, with multiple championships in multiple sports, only major league will do. Not hosting the only US F1 race - only major league sports.

And that is even before we get the issue of how many Austinites are sports participants - not just spectators. So if "sports oriented" only means "spectators of major league sports", then guilty as charged. A badge most Austinites wear proudly.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:50 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
I absolutely agree with scm and Mark, Austin is a very sports orientated city BUT I would argue that it is part of Austin's unique culture to prize participating in a wide variety of sports over spectating, in many other places, particularly Chicago, sports oriented means oriented to watching others play sports, particularly professional sports.

I don't know exactly what the OP means by his use of the term, but most "sports-oriented" chicagoans I know watch pro sports, bet on pro sports, and avidly follow pro sports (MLB spring training, NFL draft etc) but barely get off their couch to do any sports!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
I think of Chicago sports fans as fans of the pro big 4 - football, basketball, baseball, and hockey. Austin just doesn't have that. We have college sports, fitness sports, Olympic athletes, F1, etc. Not as much couch potato stuff.

Plenty of NFL fans here - if you want to go to a game they are three hours away. The Spurs are probably the best pro team in Texas and have big support. San Antonio is crazy for them.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 PM

17 posts, read 16,225 times
Hello everybody, I see how we got really deep within this sports subject so I want to shed some light on that. I really do enjoy sport and athletic communities. I was wondering if Austin is an athletic community such as everyone getting involved in intramural sports, going to the gym, focusing on living a healthy lifestyle. Would I see any of that if I lived in Austin? I've been taking a look at Dallas as some of you have recommended and that's also a very attractive option but I'm in the wrong forum for that.

As for sports, I'm a huge UT fan so not having a pro team is just alright. By the way, I never was a fan of any of the Chicago teams. So other than sports, what do young people do for fun in Austin? Is there a bar or club scene? I'm guessing there might be due to Austin's booming music scene.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonysawah View Post
Lol well then, Hoffdano, someone is having a bad day. Other than that unnecessary comment I want to thank you for your input. Now, I'm a decorated IT student, with a 3 month database project on my record, a year of system admin experience, MCSA SQL Server 2012 so I have some nice experience I also have some nice awards that will definitely make me look good. I have a nice big book of contacts and I'm sure I can find some leads to tech companies in Texas. So I hope that clarifies my experience.

-- smartgxl

Well as long as there is a church then I'm happy.

What exactly is it in Austin that makes it expensive? I should've been more specific in my question because I see housing still being a lot cheaper than Chicago if you've ever been here.

Also, weather is very important and a big reason why I wanna move to Texas.
To be perfectly honest, this post makes it sound like you're a "know it all" with little real life experience. I suggest you be overly humble when interviewing and networking.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:58 AM

Can we stay on topic JT-3? We'll handle that in a personal message. I don't want everybody to get off topic.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:13 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,179 times
Quote:
Now, I'm a decorated IT student, with a 3 month database project on my record, a year of system admin experience, MCSA SQL Server 2012
I run a tech company and we are an MS SQL shop.

"decorated IT student" has no meaning to me, and a "3 month database project" has only a little. They're fine, of course - you gotta start somewhere - but this is a competitive town and while it's good to be confident in your skills, IT students are a dime a dozen and what I and everyone else want to see is a commercial portfolio where you've shipped a product in a real world setting.

If you haven't got that but you have stellar references and a top drawer academic record, you'll be OK, but do realize that even ivy league academia doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot in the tech sector.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Thanks for your feedback @aquitaine. By Decorated I meant that I have nice awards which makes me Decorated. I know the market is hard and very competitive but just because it's competitive doesn't mean that I should just quit and look elsewhere. I've worked really hard to get where I am and coming from a small school I have a chip on my shoulder which I like. I went to a small school because i got a full ride scholarship to it and I personally know the faculty and they are phenomenal. So it was either exit college with 120,000 in debt or exit with no debt. I'm 20 years old and I already have that experience and certs that I worked hard for. Just because I did this doesn't mean I can expect to get a SQL dba or developer gig off the bat, but with time I will and that's guaranteed. Oh, and that three month database project was for an auto parts company so I believe that does also count as real world experience. I know IT students may be a dime a dozen but there are lots of good ones, it's cool to get feedback from an actual business owner so thank you. But I started with no experience and within 1.5 years I've picked up the knowledge, experience, awards, some great people and connections. Again, thanks for your feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin