Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM

23 posts, read 34,727 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I continue to post and everyone is always so helpful here!! My husband and I have found a beautiful home in Leander. It's truly a magnificent house!! The only downside we see? ... It's in Leander..

We've searched high and low in Austin, and found another home in The Springs at Walnut Creek. It's brand new David Weekly Homes in a beautiful community, however it's in an area that is less than desirable on paper. In person we feel very safe there! The home there is much smaller (1900 sq ft vs 2600 sq ft), but it's in Austin and much closer to all that Austin has to offer.

We both work from home, and are planning to start a family soon. We really just need a grocery store, gym, outdoor parks, and some restaurants to keep us happy, which can be found in both areas (although Austin has a lot more shopping/dining). We of course want to feel safe too, especially with a baby.

I've searched the threads, and just don't need to find a lot about Leander posted here! Can anyone who lives there tell me what the love/like/dislike about living there?!

THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM

198 posts, read 318,528 times
If you work from home, you can skip out on location. Some people I have talked to don't like the traffic out there when commuting to work. Considering you are looking to have kids, schools are going to play a factor in your decision. The David Weekly Home in Austin that you are looking at is not that great of a school so I would personally have concerns about that. You might want to look into the schools a bit more before you decide on that area.

http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/sc...65/school.aspx

As for Leander, it's a nice developing area and probably the most desirable of the "remote" locations in town (Hutto, Georgetown, Buda, Kyle, etc). The main thing with Leander is there is a train station out there that will take to downtown. There is good development in Leander with what you are looking for.

Alternatively, you can look into the brushy creek area and buy existing as that will be closer to what you are looking for. What is your price range? It looks like you are above the $350K range so you should be able to find something nice. Keep in mind that Leander will have higher tax rates than the older more established areas up North as you may be in a MUD. I looked in Leander and saw property tax rates over 3% in some areas compared to about 2.3-2.6% in Cedar Park and Round Rock. I marked it off my search list and focused on Cedar Park and Round Rock instead.

At a 350K purchase price the difference between a 3.1% and 2.5% tax rate would be $175/month.

Last edited by AustinDude360; 05-22-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Leander more desirable than Georgetown? Since when? If it is, then it's only due to the presence of Metrorail. Schools in Leander proper aren't better than schools elsewhere, with most being average and maybe above average.

The prettiest parts of Leander are those areas with Hill Country views.

OP, your search is kind of all over the place at times. What is it that you really want, again? Is it proximity to city-type things? The 78753 homes zone to poor schools...if you're planning on having a family, that type of stuff will matter. In addition, the area at least right now isn't particularly chic (unlike gentrifying East Austin). And then there is crime, but not inner city level crime. East Austin has higher than average crime too, but it is closer to downtown, which is a major plus. Pioneer's Crossing and the Four Seasons neighborhoods are great neighborhoods and to me have more appreciation value ..but those newer developments IMO aren't worth the money they're asking.

Leander is a great place to live, especially if you have a family. Crystal Falls has some really beautiful houses and topography. If I were to buy in Leander, I'd get acreage, forget the cramped subdivisions. But it is suburbia. If you want a more city-oriented lifestyle, you may be disappointed. The train doesn't run all hours of the day and its main purpose is to get workers to work and back. Leander is getting more built up by the year so you wouldn't be lacking for much amenity wise as time passes.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Leander more desirable than Georgetown? Since when? If it is, then it's only due to the presence of Metrorail. Schools in Leander proper aren't better than schools elsewhere, with most being average and maybe above average.
It's due to the presence of Metro-rail. Georgetown does tend to cater more to retired and semi-retired.

Pioneer crossing is a nice neighborhood...but it is assigned to Manor ISD.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

The prettiest parts of Leander are those areas with Hill Country views.

OP, your search is kind of all over the place at times. What is it that you really want, again? Is it proximity to city-type things? The 78753 homes zone to poor schools...if you're planning on having a family, that type of stuff will matter. In addition, the area at least right now isn't particularly chic (unlike gentrifying East Austin). And then there is crime, but not inner city level crime. East Austin has higher than average crime too, but it is closer to downtown, which is a major plus. Pioneer's Crossing and the Four Seasons neighborhoods are great neighborhoods and to me have more appreciation value ..but those newer developments IMO aren't worth the money they're asking.

Leander is a great place to live, especially if you have a family. Crystal Falls has some really beautiful houses and topography. If I were to buy in Leander, I'd get acreage, forget the cramped subdivisions. But it is suburbia. If you want a more city-oriented lifestyle, you may be disappointed. The train doesn't run all hours of the day and its main purpose is to get workers to work and back. Leander is getting more built up by the year so you wouldn't be lacking for much amenity wise as time passes.

I can't disagree with you - we are all over the map. It's really attractive to us to be near the domain area, we really like it over there. We won't have kids in schools for about 6-8 years, and likely will move to a more family oriented area then or send to private. I know Leander is growing, and I hope the homes wont become priced out of our budget in the years to come. I see the 78753 home as a starter home, and the Leander home as a long term home. With that said, we will be having a baby and want to still feel safe in 78753. I like how easy it is to access everything from right there, however it may be a safer bet to just move to Leander now and stay long term. It's just tough to "move to the suburbs" right now. I am curious to hear the opinions of those who live in Leander - it seems like there isn't much shopping/restaurants. The metrorail is really attractive to us as well - we're old soles and it runs until 12am or 1am which is late enough for us.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 AM

Well let's think about this for a bit...you have no kids so would getting a smaller home be in the conversion? Maybe a 2BR townhome in a more central area? Your price range is a good range (350K+). What about Cedar Park Towncenter or Arbors at Lakeline? Lakeline mall area will have what you are looking for.

I was in your situation 7 years ago and dived into a remote area with a home too big for what we needed, in a master-planned community, and regretted it. If I could do it again I would either buy central and small or buy smaller in a very desirable suburb area with a low tax rate like Brushy Creek. You don't need to buy your dream home at this time. Try to avoid buying new if this is your "starter" home. You will overpay or if you do buy new stick to the inventory/spec builds and only get architectural upgrades (Covered Patio, Elevations, wiring, etc).

Last edited by AustinDude360; 05-22-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDude360 View Post
Well let's think about this for a bit...you have no kids so would getting a smaller home be in the conversion? Maybe a 2BR townhome in a more central area? Your price range is a good range (350K+). What about Cedar Park Towncenter or Arbors at Lakeline? Lakeline mall area will have what you are looking for.

I was in your situation 7 years ago and dived into a remote area with a home too big for what we needed, in a master-planned community, and regretted it. If I could do it again I would either buy central and small or buy smaller in a very desirable suburb area with a low tax rate like Brushy Creek. You don't need to buy your dream home at this time. Try to avoid buying new if this is your "starter" home. You will overpay or if you do buy new stick to the inventory/spec builds and only get architectural upgrades (Covered Patio, Elevations, wiring, etc).
Thank you! This is very helpful info. We have a dog, and want a yard for him to have at least a little room to roam free, so condo life will not be for us.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM

41 posts, read 65,351 times
Me and my wife (early 20s) moved to Austin from Chicago a year and a half ago. We rented a house out near lake Travis- and then recently bought a home in Leander. Leander is honestly great if you're looking for a home at a great price- the area is very nice and growing rapidly. You have the metro rail and the 183 toll road that takes you straight into Austin- by the way Leander is literally 5-15 minute drive depending on traffic into "Austin proper". So it's really not that far out. Cedar park has a great deal of shopping, restaurants, movie theatre, the Alamo is down lakeline as is the mall, main event is right down 183. I'm not sure what the domain has that Leander doesn't or isn't a short drive from- from my knowledge and from what we saw when we went it's just an outdoor shopping area with apartments on top of some the shops.. Whole foods as well but.. I don't know to many people.. Or anyone who only shops at whole foods. Leander has a Heb plus right in town and there's a Randall's that's supposed to be being built soon. The schools are very good- it's the suburbs that's for sure but honestly coming from Chicago I would say most if not a few streets of Austin feel like the suburbs.. So why over pay for a house? To say your close to downtown?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabroncos1 View Post
Me and my wife (early 20s) moved to Austin from Chicago a year and a half ago. We rented a house out near lake Travis- and then recently bought a home in Leander. Leander is honestly great if you're looking for a home at a great price- the area is very nice and growing rapidly. You have the metro rail and the 183 toll road that takes you straight into Austin- by the way Leander is literally 5-15 minute drive depending on traffic into "Austin proper". So it's really not that far out. Cedar park has a great deal of shopping, restaurants, movie theatre, the Alamo is down lakeline as is the mall, main event is right down 183. I'm not sure what the domain has that Leander doesn't or isn't a short drive from- from my knowledge and from what we saw when we went it's just an outdoor shopping area with apartments on top of some the shops.. Whole foods as well but.. I don't know to many people.. Or anyone who only shops at whole foods. Leander has a Heb plus right in town and there's a Randall's that's supposed to be being built soon. The schools are very good- it's the suburbs that's for sure but honestly coming from Chicago I would say most if not a few streets of Austin feel like the suburbs.. So why over pay for a house? To say your close to downtown?
AWESOME!! This is super helpful Glad to hear you're liking the area

Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 PM

That has actually been my only drawback with CP/Leander area is that a Wholefoods does not exist nearby so you have to drive to the Domain to get to it. I figure one will get placed in the area eventually. There is too much higher income in that area to ignore it.

Sprouts did open up in CP recently so maybe Wholefoods will follow.

Sprouts opens Cedar Park store as assault on Whole Foods continues - Austin Business Journal

I personally live in CP now and love the location. I can get anywhere without going on the highway and could bike to any place I need as well. Don't forget about the 1890 Shopping near Leander. It has a ton of things there.

Yup, I'd say stick to homes near the MetroRail stations in Leander or CP. If you don't think the 1890 Shopping Center or LakeLine Mall has enough shopping for you...you probably need to move to Dallas instead.

I seen your posts earlier where you were talking near a $400K price range...what about Avery Ranch? Lots of existing homes you can buy here that are well taken care of. I would happily buy in Avery Ranch over that NE area you are looking at from David Weekly. Pearson's Place and Granite Shoals are the new section being built there, but just buy existing.

Last edited by AustinDude360; 05-22-2015 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin