Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Well my installer did an awesome shower pan for our last home -- he basically used broken/crushed travertine that was left over from the shower wall (thereby creating a mosaic) and laid it on top of the existing fiberglass pan. The grout he used didn't really crack much either. Beautiful without having to remove the existing pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 12:56 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well my installer did an awesome shower pan for our last home -- he basically used broken/crushed travertine that was left over from the shower wall (thereby creating a mosaic) and laid it on top of the existing fiberglass pan. The grout he used didn't really crack much either. Beautiful without having to remove the existing pan.
Contact info, please! That would be perfect! Do you have any pictures?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:56 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Best solution is to just be really near-sighted and not put in your contacts until after you have showered.....

Old 04-22-2015, 10:29 PM

48 posts, read 70,955 times
I ordered an onyx shower pan at Lowes for my remodel. They had it waiting for me at the store about 2 weeks later, no shipping/delivery charge. I haven't used it yet, but it was super easy to install and I'm very happy with the low profile look.

It was indeed tricky trying to meet with the sales guy, but he had some business cards at the desk in the bath department so I was at least able to schedule something.

Last edited by Gestbsjgd; 04-22-2015 at 10:39 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 09:00 AM

668 posts, read 783,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gestbsjgd View Post
I ordered an onyx shower pan at Lowes for my remodel. They had it waiting for me at the store about 2 weeks later, no shipping/delivery charge. I haven't used it yet, but it was super easy to install and I'm very happy with the low profile look.

It was indeed tricky trying to meet with the sales guy, but he had some business cards at the desk in the bath department so I was at least able to schedule something.
Which Lowe's did you order it from? Do you mind sharing the guy's name you worked with? Was it a standard size pan or a custom one?

We need a custom size, and I spent over an hour at the Central Austin Lowe's 2 weeks ago with my 6 month old in tow trying to get them to figure out how to order anything from the Onyx Collection. It eventually involved no less than 4 employees and those employees doing a bunch of phone transfers and I left feeling as though it was unlikely that I would end up receiving the right size pan were I to order from them.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Roo Celeste, I'll see if I can find his card. I'm sorry, I have no pictures, and I sold the house. But it did turn out very nice with minimal mess.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 PM

48 posts, read 70,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Which Lowe's did you order it from? Do you mind sharing the guy's name you worked with? Was it a standard size pan or a custom one?

We need a custom size, and I spent over an hour at the Central Austin Lowe's 2 weeks ago with my 6 month old in tow trying to get them to figure out how to order anything from the Onyx Collection. It eventually involved no less than 4 employees and those employees doing a bunch of phone transfers and I left feeling as though it was unlikely that I would end up receiving the right size pan were I to order from them.
That sounds like quite an ordeal. It's been a while since I bought it and I can't recall the guy's name, but I went to the store at 183 and 620. He wasn't there the first time I stopped by, so I took his card and left a message.

Before we met, I used the onyx website to prepare the measurements for a custom size. It's a double curb that sits in a corner so I had some room to play with, but if I were to buy a standard size I would have to rework the drain to get it centered. He walked me through the ordering process for the custom pan so that he could get me a quote, but I ended up going with the standard size to save money. I don't remember the custom one being a whole lot more, but the existing hole in my slab around the drain was just big enough that it wasn't too difficult to recenter it, so the added cost wasn't justified in my case.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:33 AM

206 posts, read 299,041 times
teak wood shower floor

If you really want, I know a custom woodworker that will make and measure using laser sight, not cheap.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:01 PM

319 posts, read 346,301 times
I used to manufacture these.

Truth is any "cast" shower floor has to be done on a "mold", and there are only a few companies that make the molds. And nobody makes molds in custom sizes. Unless you want to spend about $50,000, and many months.

So you have two choices.
1. Pick the closest size available to what you want. Move the drain location if needed, and change the framing. And Rectangular pans are available with the drain centered, or at one end (to replace a tub).

2. Get your desired size, but it will not have an integral lip around it. You will have to live with a joint.

Me, I would strongly choose option #1.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:10 AM

668 posts, read 783,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
I used to manufacture these.

Truth is any "cast" shower floor has to be done on a "mold", and there are only a few companies that make the molds. And nobody makes molds in custom sizes. Unless you want to spend about $50,000, and many months.
I get that a cast shower floor has to be done on a mold, but there seem to be numerous companies nationwide that do this and it doesn't cost $50,000. Highest quote I've received was $1500, and longest time to manufacture was about a month.

There aren't too many locally (I would have preferred to buy from a local company just because that's how I prefer to do business), but Lowe's alone carries three national brands who do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin