Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:53 AM

195 posts, read 246,295 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating away from Seattle, to Austin -- largely for the nicer weather.

I've seen a lot of Austin apartments online that show nice outdoor pools. Curious what is the norm there in terms of how many months a year these pools are open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 12:40 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
all year

Old 05-03-2015, 02:44 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
No one I know would go swimming outside during winter here, it's cold and gross and often colder (temp-wise) than Seattle is! But many apartment pools ARE technically open so good luck.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Austin weather is very changeable and the last two winters have been colder than normal. But apartment pools stay filled, filtered, and open all year.

It more expensive to drain a pool for a two months and then refill it.

City pools Barton Springs, Deep Eddy and Big Stacy are open year around. Most country clubs, swim clubs etc are also open all year. I know high school swimmers who train in outdoor pools during the fall and winter.

There are hard core swimmers who swim every day of the year at Barton Springs and Deep Eddy. Personally, I'm with Idlewile, I don't swim in the winter, but if it is your thing, you can.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
No one I know would go swimming outside during winter here, it's cold and gross and often colder (temp-wise) than Seattle is! But many apartment pools ARE technically open so good luck.
Are the pools heated?

As to it often being colder in Austin -- the climate charts I've looked at online, show the avg high in Austin in the winter being a good 15 warmer than Seattle. As an example, the avg Jan high in Seattle is 47, in Austin it is 62. The average low is also a good 5 degrees warmer. I can handle that, and the occasional exception to the average.

Anyway, I'm not talking about hanging out at poolside and lounging I'm talking about swimming laps to keep fit.

I'd much rather be able to walk out my door and swim, than drive to a club or pool.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Austin weather is very changeable and the last two winters have been colder than normal. But apartment pools stay filled, filtered, and open all year.

It more expensive to drain a pool for a two months and then refill it.

City pools Barton Springs, Deep Eddy and Big Stacy are open year around. Most country clubs, swim clubs etc are also open all year. I know high school swimmers who train in outdoor pools during the fall and winter.

There are hard core swimmers who swim every day of the year at Barton Springs and Deep Eddy. Personally, I'm with Idlewile, I don't swim in the winter, but if it is your thing, you can.
Thanks. Are the pools there typically heated year round as well?

I've just found that swimming is the best all around exercise for me, and I'd rather not have to drive somewhere to work out, hence the question about pools at the modern construction around Austin. Some of them look quite nice and large, like serious lap pools. Nothing like that, outdoors, around Seattle -- open year round.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF206 View Post
Are the pools heated?

As to it often being colder in Austin -- the climate charts I've looked at online, show the avg high in Austin in the winter being a good 15 warmer than Seattle. As an example, the avg Jan high in Seattle is 47, in Austin it is 62. The average low is also a good 5 degrees warmer. I can handle that, and the occasional exception to the average.
I looked at Accuweather and it doesn't account for windchill which has been an issue the last two years especially. The last two winters have been fairly miserable here for those who came here hoping for a "mild winter" like me and I came from Colorado. I actually have found that the winters here are misrepresented in the media. Our friends from Port Orchard who have been here three years are disappointed and call the winters very similar "except Austin is a whole uglier and brown!"

If you like to be outside exercising a lot during winter, I hope you've done your central TX Cedar Fever research, just in case.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I looked at Accuweather and it doesn't account for windchill which has been an issue the last two years especially. The last two winters have been fairly miserable here for those who came here hoping for a "mild winter" like me and I came from Colorado. I actually have found that the winters here are misrepresented in the media. Our friends from Port Orchard who have been here three years are disappointed and call the winters very similar "except Austin is a whole uglier and brown!"

If you like to be outside exercising a lot during winter, I hope you've done your central TX Cedar Fever research, just in case.
I can always leave if it doesn't work out, not planning to buy in my first two years. And I'll probably visit once or twice before moving.

But my question is more about the pools than it is about the weather.

Are these pools heated to usable temps year round? ....or just sitting there in some maintenance mode because it is cheaper to leave them filled than it is to drain them?

Old 05-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRF206 View Post

Are these pools heated to usable temps year round? ....or just sitting there in some maintenance mode because it is cheaper to leave them filled than it is to drain them?
Really is dependent on the apartment complex. I one I was in while in corporate housing was not heated to a suitable temp during the winter months. But it was technically "open."

Old 05-03-2015, 04:56 PM

319 posts, read 346,074 times
An option is the city pool in Travis Heights. Called Big Stacy Pool. Free, outdoors, and in winter is full of lap swimmers because it's fed by a hot spring.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bi...!5m1!1e1?hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin