Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM

31 posts, read 34,761 times

Advertisements

Anyone here work at the HP office in Wells Branch?
I have been told my telecommuter status is going away and they want me in an HP office. My spouse still works as a school Principal so will not be able to relocate with me initially as still under contract. Austin is a better choice as easier to drive to Rio Grande Valley on weekends from Austin plus closer than Houston. Worked in current position for 8 years but not unfamiliar with cubical world. Only generic info available on office would like to hear from someone who works there.
Thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:19 PM

If anyone knows some one at the Austin Office have them message me and we can talk on HP internal network Thank you

Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,769 times
I work at the HP Wells Branch office, at least for now.
I live across the street from the office.

They are telling me I have to move to the office that is further North, and not even on a bus route.
Since I don't drive, and there is not even a side walk for walking the 2.2 miles I would have to walk, I am not sure what I am going to do.

There are pods, with 4 desks per pod for the older pods, and 6 (smaller) desk areas in the newer pods.
There are also some cubicles in the areas that have not been re-designed in several years.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the reply sent you my HP email as I have a lot of questions.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:59 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
I work at the HP Wells Branch office, at least for now.
I live across the street from the office.

They are telling me I have to move to the office that is further North, and not even on a bus route.
Since I don't drive, and there is not even a side walk for walking the 2.2 miles I would have to walk, I am not sure what I am going to do.

There are pods, with 4 desks per pod for the older pods, and 6 (smaller) desk areas in the newer pods.
There are also some cubicles in the areas that have not been re-designed in several years.
Bicycle? However that might be a bit dangerous.

What is "HP", if I may ask?

We just drove back Saturday from SPI - 6.5 hours to Round Rock with three stops totaling about 50 minutes.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:19 AM

HP = Hewlett Packard We are splitting into HP INC and HP Enterprise in Nov but will continue to share buildings

Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Bicycle? However that might be a bit dangerous.

What is "HP", if I may ask?

We just drove back Saturday from SPI - 6.5 hours to Round Rock with three stops totaling about 50 minutes.
I considered a bicycle.
But then I discovered that there is not a good route, that is not along a busy road.

The reason I don't drive, is that I don't have normal skills for maneuvering among other moving things. I was that kid that was always picked last when picking teams for games in gym class.
IF there was a route, that I felt comfortable bicycling on, I would probably invest in a good bicycle (maybe even an electric bicycle).
I am not comfortable with bicycle lanes that run very close to traffic, and require interaction with fast moving traffic.

Looking at Google earth, I see a possible path through some fields and woods. But I don't know how easy it would be to walk. I am sure it would not be a route I could bicycle through.
I think it is mostly part of dedicated green space, but I am not sure.
I might give the path a try this weekend, if I get up before it gets really hot.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,234,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
I considered a bicycle.
But then I discovered that there is not a good route, that is not along a busy road.

The reason I don't drive, is that I don't have normal skills for maneuvering among other moving things. I was that kid that was always picked last when picking teams for games in gym class.
IF there was a route, that I felt comfortable bicycling on, I would probably invest in a good bicycle (maybe even an electric bicycle).
I am not comfortable with bicycle lanes that run very close to traffic, and require interaction with fast moving traffic.

Looking at Google earth, I see a possible path through some fields and woods. But I don't know how easy it would be to walk. I am sure it would not be a route I could bicycle through.
I think it is mostly part of dedicated green space, but I am not sure.
I might give the path a try this weekend, if I get up before it gets really hot.

why not use a motorcycle?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Don't blame you for being cautious about bike lanes on busy streets. There are too many careless drivers behind the wheel around here.

Good luck to you both.

My nephew's wife started her tech career with HP in California about 30 years ago, but soon moved to IBM in Austin where she is some kind of computer science team leader. Her team developed programs for astronomical observatories in Hawaii & South America, and also the European particle accelerator facility in Switzerland.

Heady stuff, beyond my comprehension.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
why not use a motorcycle?
Because I would have to be able to react and maneuver among other fast moving vehicles, which is the skill set I lack.

Even if I found a good route, I would still need to pass a test, that required me to drive in areas I would not feel safe or comfortable driving.
I am not sure how the licensing works in Texas. I know in Hawaii I had to maneuver the cycle around cones, which was rather easy on a small moped.

I did notice that Texas allows one to get a motorcycle license, without having to first have a car license.
Hawaii was like this, and I had a class 1 license (moped and small motorcycles under 5 horse power).
But I also had specific routes I would use, that I was comfortable with.
Then I moved to Oregon, where I would have had to get a car license to have a motorcycle license.

I have totaled a few motor bikes (well I totaled one, a friend of mine totaled my other one). I felt lucky, I walked away with a bit of road rash and a scratched helmet. The bike was totaled. That was the last time I ever drove a motor bike. I am guessing that insurance would be very expensive for me. It should be. I know I am high risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin