Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 29,744 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My wife and I (30-somethings) are considering a move to Texas from the Northeast. We are self employed in the natural health care field and are looking for a great community to start a family. We're tired of the fast past, big city life and want to find ourselves in a warmer climate community, with great schools and friendly people. Having access to nature (lakes, mountains, etc.) would be a plus. We'd love to find a new/newer 4 bedroom/3 bath home, 3000 sq. ft., with a big yard for under $300K. We prefer a suburban neighborhood (do not want to be in a too rural area) outside the city but not too far because the social life, arts/entertainment, etc. are still important to us.

Is Austin the place? Look forward to your feedback on the pros/cons of Austin. What neighborhoods should we consider? What are the top school districts in the area? We are also considering Dallas, Houston and San Antonio and searching the postings for similar input on those cities too. Any comparisons/contrasts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Coming from New Jersey to Austin might be a culture shock to you.
Out of the cities you mention, Dallas and its suburbs remind me most of the northeast.

What you might want to do is take a vacation trip here..arrive in Dallas then drive down to Austin (3.5 hrs driving from Dallas) then on to San Antonio (1.5 hrs driving from Austin) and then on to Houston (1.5 hrs driving from San Antonio) and then fly home from there.

Spend a day or two in each city and "get a feel" for which one is right for you.
Renting never hurts and with no kids makes it easier to move around before buying.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Coming from New Jersey to Austin might be a culture shock to you.
Out of the cities you mention, Dallas and its suburbs remind me most of the northeast.

What you might want to do is take a vacation trip here..arrive in Dallas then drive down to Austin (3.5 hrs driving from Dallas) then on to San Antonio (1.5 hrs driving from Austin) and then on to Houston (1.5 hrs driving from San Antonio) and then fly home from there.

Spend a day or two in each city and "get a feel" for which one is right for you.
Renting never hurts and with no kids makes it easier to move around before buying.

With no kids I would second the renting if you have never been here. Sometimes moving from out of state and not being familiar with the area this is the best move. It gives you some time to figure out the community and see where you would feel most comfortable living.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 16,024 times
Default moving to austin for a fresh start

hi there my name is Angelique I have just moved to Austin a few weeks ago from England with my family. It is a big change but we like it here.

We didn t come here for a holiday before hand.
we chose to rent in a condo for a start and i think it is the best way to do it
we living in the hill country and it is the best part i think has you will find everything you need within the reach of your hand, sort of speak.

I do have 2 young daughters and they like it here the school is a very good school.

the life style is easy going and led back

people are friendly and once you haqve got everything on order you will find it easy to follow the flow of life

good luck in your move.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 PM

81 posts, read 356,258 times
Best reasons to move to Austin:
University of Texas at Austin
Whole Foods Market
Warm Climate
Casual, friendly, open-minded atmosphere

You might also check out Fort Worth.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,755 times
As a jerseygirl born and raised, now living in Texas. I will have to say I just love living in Austin. We have been here for 8 years.. and have no regrets. We are 30 somethings without kids and Austin has been great for that lifestyle! As it would be a wonderful place for children to be raised as well! There is always something going on for everyone, and so many things to experience outside Austin proper in all the great hill country towns. I agree with previous posts to definetly search out, and spend time in the area you decide on before you buy. There are so many great parts of town, depending on what you like. The Eanes school district is widely known as a top rate district. I also feel Lake Travis has a great school district as well! There are so many positives about living in Austin, probably too many to list

You did ask for Cons so I will list a few .. the homes do not have basements (we were a little upset about that, but got over it quickly), hard to find good pizza and bagels (places say they have the best, but when you have had the real stuff it just doesn't compare , tax on clothes/shoes etc, no jersey shore!
I know petty, but thought I would put them out there!

Good Luck with your decision..

Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 AM

106 posts, read 476,157 times
I was born/raised in New Jersey and know that much of what's there can be put into either the Fond or Miserable Memories Box.

However, given your specs, I'd toss Dallas and San Antonio outta the running right away, mostly because the environment in/around each of those urban centers is so... so... so Texan. By this I mean it looks like what others "think" Texas is all about... flat, dry and brown.

But Austin, aka Hill Country, is a whole different story.

Okay, so you're not gonna find Frankie Vallie & The Four Seasons playing at the shore every Labor Day and other than Saccone's Jersey pizza is not to be found in this area, but the Austin suburbs are a mecca for those who are looking for exactly what you say you want: family-friendly communities, cheap housing (compared to Montclair or Glen Ridge or Mount Holly, just as a for instance), outdoor recreation (the joke goes you can play golf in Austin 10 months outta the year... and the two months you can't play are called July & August )... if you're starting a family then access to shopping, great schools and transportation will also be important and are readily available here w/out having 'em in your immediate backyard.

Having been a Nor'easter for most of my life, I reallyreallyreally appreciate living in an area that's growing, not dying. I like having my public library open seven days a week, I like having broad stretches of highways (I grew up w/ the GSPkwy, Rt. 46 and Rt. 130 as my main travel arteries... ~~brrrrr, shiver!~~) that aren't eaten up every winter by salt & sand, it's great having easy access to any type of shopping I want, I love having school systems with buildings, teachers and a curriculum that is expanding, not withering on the vine, I love having Austin in my backyard (well, 20 minutes away) with all its lil' shops,bar/clubs, kooky theatre, art galleries, antique places, the University, etc., and proximity to the lakes/rivers with all their recreational opportunities, as well as hiking trails, parks, tennis/basketball courts, and swimming pools.

I came here in 1999 (from New Haven, CT) and I wouldn't go back, or elsewhere, fer' nuttin', honey.

TX Griff

Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
We'd love to find a new/newer 4 bedroom/3 bath home, 3000 sq. ft., with a big yard for under $300K. We prefer a suburban neighborhood (do not want to be in a too rural area) outside the city but not too far because the social life, arts/entertainment, etc. are still important to us.
This is the typical house in Round Rock or Cedar Park or Leander. If you don't ming cutting off a few square feet, you might also find some in SW Austin and closer-in NW Austin.

Quote:
We are also considering Dallas, Houston and San Antonio
Austin is the most expensive, on a 1 to 1 comparison, of any of the four cities you mention. It is also still the smallest, so for a given size house and what your commute might be, it is really hard to compare. Dallas will get the coldest in winter, and seems to get the hottest in summer. Houston is the most humid. SA and Austin have very, very similar weather. W/NW from SA and W from Austin are very similar hill country areas. Assuming you do not live in the city proper, at least some of the 'burbs will all have what you are looking for in each city.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 PM

8 posts, read 39,273 times
austin is a growing, vibrant city. it is fun to be part of that!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,448 times
Hi,
I'm thinking seriously about moving to Austin in the late Fall '08. A major reason I want to move is b/c they seem to have a nice sized holistic population. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but is Austin holistic or not? They have two awesome organic farmers markets & the biggest Whole Foods I've ever seen. And the underground springs are awesome for a cold, fresh swim.
I found a wonderful holistic spot with so much to offer, Casa de Luz, which is unlike any holistic place I've ever been to. They have an incredible organic vegan restaurant 3 meals daily/7 days wk. Plus, Warren Kramer f/ Boston comes in for Weekend workshops a few times a year.
I really want to move to a holistic city or locale but am having trouble finding one. Austin seems to be the place but I don't know for sure. My opinion is based on 4 visits/weekend workshops there.
Can anyone please tell me how holistic Austin is or your experience with this? Thank you so much. - Judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin