Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,740,504 times

Advertisements

It was just a matter of when this was going to happen. Projects like the 1,000 room Fairmont aren't even in the mix yet.

A first: Austin beats San Antonio's hotel business, Source Strategies report shows - Austin Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 11:22 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
One possible caveat - that was 2nd quarter results, which likely still had a boost from the legislature being in session. That only happens for 2 quarters every other year.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Austin will keep distancing itself from San Antonio in every way.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
And we care...why? Is there a prize?

Old 08-28-2015, 01:29 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
And we care...why? Is there a prize?
More hotel taxes . Not that it matters compared to SA, but I do find it a bit odd. I am not surprised occupancy is higher in Austin, I but I am surprised that the revenues are.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,900,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
More hotel taxes . Not that it matters compared to SA, but I do find it a bit odd. I am not surprised occupancy is higher in Austin, I but I am surprised that the revenues are.
Because occupancy is higher, room rates are higher. Higher room rates causes the higher revenues, assuming the same number of hotel rooms.

SA has a lot more hotel rooms in its downtown core, but we are quickly catching up. However, the nature of our festivals (ACL, SXSW, F1) means that when we are sold out the rates are outrageous. The only festival in San Antonio, Fiesta, is basically for locals and rates don't jump.

In the hotel business, it's not just occupancy but it's occupancy at peak times. At peak times, we hover 98-99% and SA doesn't get that. That's where the big dollars are... SA has a more even flow throughout the year, however. Summer tourism in Austin is nothing compared to SA since SA has Sea World, Fiesta Texas, and Schlitterbahn close by.

As the new hotels in Austin come online, the rates will stabilize and eventually decline. There are a lot of properties that are disproportionately expensive for what they give. They won't be able to compete with, say the W or the new JW Marriott.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:09 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,377,153 times
Colleague of mine was talking with a event planner for a major national non-profit a year or so ago and she was really bullish on Austin v. San Antonio for her conventions because San Antonio, basically, has been done for decades. Austin is a perfect mix of conventioneer friendly attractions and freshness. Only things holding us back for that business are DT hotel rooms and convention center space (still too small for a lot of big ones).

Old 08-29-2015, 01:24 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,658 times
Austin is definitely surging. The Hemisphere Park redevelopment and San Pedro Creek redevelopment will provide a big spark for SA.

Phase 2: Civic Park | Hemisfair

San Pedro Creek Improvements Project

Old 11-10-2015, 12:56 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,114,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Colleague of mine was talking with a event planner for a major national non-profit a year or so ago and she was really bullish on Austin v. San Antonio for her conventions because San Antonio, basically, has been done for decades. Austin is a perfect mix of conventioneer friendly attractions and freshness. Only things holding us back for that business are DT hotel rooms and convention center space (still too small for a lot of big ones).
Austin tourism is growing but I doubt it will catch up to San Antonio as a visitor destination. San Antonio attracts 31 million visitors and is a 14 billion dollar industry for San Antonio. Austin attracts about 17 million people and that's impressive for Austin. As far as events Fiesta attracts almost 4 million people from all over in one week to its 100 events. The S.A. Rodeo is also a big time event attracting over 1.2 million visitors. Austin does have some cool attractions and festivals but S.A.'s events are bigger and they draw bigger crowds. If Austin ever catches up to S.A. For tourism, the same can be said for San Antonio's IT industry which is closing in on Austin's.

We live in a great region, gotta love both cities.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-10-2015 at 01:09 AM..

Old 11-10-2015, 07:11 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
the same can be said for San Antonio's IT industry which is closing in on Austin's.
Uh, no, not in the slightest.

BEA: News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, Advance 2014, and Revised 2001–2013

In the most recent numbers, Austin saw a 6.1% increase in metro GDP. Of that increase, .4% was attributed to the Information segment.

San Antonio saw a still respectable 3.8% increase. But only 0.03% was due to Information. It's standing still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin