Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 11,925 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm planning a move to Austin mid-2007. Interested in purchasing loft style home in active, "artsy" downtown area. Prefer being within walking distance to parks, shopping areas, restaurants and gym. Need ample parking to park my car, but want to be close to bus/rail stop because I hate to drive. Is it possible to find all I'm looking for in Austin under $250K, or am I dreaming? Currently researching the Railyard Condos and Milago Condos. Anyone familair with either of these? Opinions?

Thanks for any and all input,
CC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 03:17 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygonecountry View Post
Hi guys,
Is it possible to find all I'm looking for in Austin under $250K, or am I dreaming? Currently researching the Railyard Condos and Milago Condos. Anyone familair with either of these? Opinions?

Thanks for any and all input,
CC
250k is going to be really hard to pull off if you want anything bigger than a studio. It might be possible at Railyard, but at Milago or any of the condo/lofts being built, you are going to have to up your budget. How many sq ft are you looking for?

Check out Craigslist realestate for sale to see what some people are trying to sell their Milago units for.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,224 times
One more thing -- you might want to look into the loft projects being built east of I-35 near 6th street. They are going to be more in your price range.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:21 PM

122 posts, read 180,368 times
I have sold a couple units at railyard. If you like to be downtown with noise you really can beat it. Also look and make sure the unit has parking spaces. I have sold one that didn't come with a spot and my client had to rent one for $250 a month. With your price range you could also look at the enfield area if noise and parting is going to be a problem (: At the loft a efficiency is $200k plus.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:23 PM

122 posts, read 180,368 times
Sorry wrong loft's i have no seen the prices for the one on the other side off I35

Old 11-16-2006, 03:27 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
I sent you a PM with a great site for locating downtown lofts. It's a real estate site so I can't post it here. Hope it helps!!

Old 11-17-2006, 03:58 PM

944 posts, read 3,955,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
One more thing -- you might want to look into the loft projects being built east of I-35 near 6th street. They are going to be more in your price range.
YES YES YES!!! In order to maximize the value of your investment and be near what you want, stay out of the already-hyped-out places like downtown and SoCo. East of 35 prices are going up fast but still within the right range and everything over there has a giant bullseye painted on it for future groovy development. Plus, that's where most of the artist lofts and studios are located.

My past experience with real estate agents in Austin was that they shunned east Austin, hopefully that has changed. But if they're trying to push you into the hot zones where prices are crazy, insist that they show you the up-and-coming places east of the freeway. You won't regret it, things have changed so rapidly here and they're continuing to change, so your best bet is to read the trends and be one step ahead of the crowd. Then even if you decide you want to move out and sell your place, you'll make money off it and you won't regret being stuck with an overpriced place in the current "center of the universe" as defined by local rapidly-changing trends.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:16 AM

30 posts, read 127,372 times
There are actually a few reasonably priced condos east of downtown which are very much in your price range. As far as being directly downtown, at this point it might be rough for 250K I just did a loan for a Milago unit 1200sqft for 450k. There are plans for more affordable condos but take will take a few years.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 AM

944 posts, read 3,955,636 times
There's an ad for 2 BR condos off Lakeshore on the south side of Town Lake east of 35, going for as low as $125K, it's in the latest issue of the Austin Chronicle. It's called "Town Lake Village" and their website is that name with a dot com at the end.

Lockett TL, do you happen to know why they're so affordable? I know it's not the nicest place in town but it's CLOSE to everything, easy commute, next to hike-bike trail, and that area is destined for major improvements so it seems like a sure-bet that it would be a steal to get something so cheap that close in. Am I delusional?

Old 12-10-2006, 04:03 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,782 times
No, the area seems less collegic these days. And Riverside Dr has all the basics a shopper needs. Good call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: