Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 12:35 PM

25 posts, read 31,498 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning a trip to Texas in the next two months and we've done quite a bit of research about the areas we'll be looking at. I've looked at crime heat maps for neighborhoods, housing and utility costs, read countless articles about the weather and allergies, cost of living, taxes, etc. At this point, we feel any further information we need on the areas we're looking into would be better obtained in-person during our trip when we see what it's actually like living in Texas, as opposed to just visiting. There's just a few things though that I'm not sure most people would know if we went around asking in-person, and that involves gardening and livestock.

We want to start out with a small fruit and veggie garden and expand it over time, as well as add chickens, ducks, sheep, pigs, rabbits, and possibly alpacas and a cow to our property. Of course we would start small and slow and expand as we became more comfortable with it. I just had some questions about these things listed below if anyone could answer them for me?

1. What are the predators in the area we would need to worry about? I know coyotes is a given, and snakes for our poultry, but I was wondering if there were any other predators we need to keep in mind. Hawks? Mountain lions? Etc. The areas we are considering looking at are (in no particular order); Leander, Georgetown, Cedar Park, Kyle, Pflugerville, Jollyville, Brushy Creek, Daffan, Littig, New Sweden, Webberville, Elroy, and Wyldwood.

2. Where can I find (online) which areas are zoned for keeping livestock on home property? Or do I need to look into that in person when we visit?

3. Do I need to be concerned about poisonous snakes in my garden or other pests like fire ants, yellow jackets, or scorpions? What about poisonous spiders?

4. Is it still possible to grow things like peaches, cherries, and other fruit trees that normally require a lot of chilling hours during the winter? Does anybody have any favorite varieties I should look into? We like quite a vast array of fruits and vegetables, so any suggestions are appreciated.

5. What are some of the best country stores and nurseries to look into for setting up our homestead?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 01:02 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Predators: coyotes, possible mountain lions, hawks, snakes, owls and bobcats. Also wild hogs.

There are rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes and all of the insects you named. Also be cautious of africanized bees.

I live in Hutto and we have a peach, fig and pear tree. They do great. Pomegranate does well here too. There is even an olive variety that will grow here.

We frequent a natural gardener type nursery in Georgetown, and we also get soe things at a place in Granger.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
1. What are the predators in the area we would need to worry about? I know coyotes is a given, and snakes for our poultry, but I was wondering if there were any other predators we need to keep in mind. Hawks? Mountain lions? Etc. The areas we are considering looking at are (in no particular order); Leander, Georgetown, Cedar Park, Kyle, Pflugerville, Jollyville, Brushy Creek, Daffan, Littig, New Sweden, Webberville, Elroy, and Wyldwood.
Over the years, we have lost chickens to: coyotes, skunks, possum, racoon, hawks, owls, snakes (chicks), foxes, and dogs. Chickens are truly the bottom of the food chain. This was in Georgetown, which is just north of Austin, so I assume it is similar to all the areas you mention. In the end, the coop looked like a fortress, so while the chickens roamed freed during the day, we locked em up at night.
Quote:
2. Where can I find (online) which areas are zoned for keeping livestock on home property? Or do I need to look into that in person when we visit?
In general, incorporated cities will limit (sometimes severely) livestock, and some pretty close to prohibiting it. In the counties outside the cities, there will be essentially no specific regulation. You will need to check each city's ordinances to get concrete info, though.

Quote:
3. Do I need to be concerned about poisonous snakes in my garden or other pests like fire ants, yellow jackets, or scorpions? What about poisonous spiders?
Yes and no - they will potentially be there, just avoid them. Fire ants will be your biggest pain in the arse, yellow jackets prefer the eaves of your house, and scorpions generally stay in dry, rockier areas (relative rare in gardens proper). Brown recluse tends to like dark, dry areas (i.e. sheds/garages) and is the only really dangerous spider. Black widows, et al, are not nearly as dangerous in reality.

Snakes will vary a lot by your specific location. Have cats/dogs and you will not see many of them.
Quote:
4. Is it still possible to grow things like peaches, cherries, and other fruit trees that normally require a lot of chilling hours during the winter? Does anybody have any favorite varieties I should look into? We like quite a vast array of fruits and vegetables, so any suggestions are appreciated.
A nursery or online research will be required for this, but peaches do well out in the hill country (and G'town). Cherries, apples, etc., not so much. Plums tend to do well, iirc from my younger days.

Vegetables will depend somewhat on the soil in your chosen location; however, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, and squash (zucchini and yellow) always did well for us. Green beans and tomatoes, as well. Many things will do well but may require more or less attention.

Quote:
5. What are some of the best country stores and nurseries to look into for setting up our homestead?
Having not done gardening in years, I would not know where to recommend for vegetables and fruits. For trees, I have quite a bit of luck at 'the Natural Gardener' in SW Austin.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:01 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
Think P trees. Peaches, Plums, Pears, Pomegranates, Persimmons, Pecans, Pfigs all grow well in Central Texas. I see loquat trees growing naturally all over the place too.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Forget cherries. We don't get cold long enough. And for the fruit trees that do grow here it depends on the winter and how cold it gets and for how long.

I have a wild plum tree. In 5 years it produced fruit 3 times. Last year was a good harvest. The year before we got a really cold snap after a warm period and all the blossoms fell off the tree..no plums that year.

I've had mixed luck with apples..granny smith and pink lady. More off years than on though.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
In some of the areas you mention, no problem having limited livestock at home. (As long as you keep things clean, of course.) In others, which are being built up with subdivisions as we speak, even if it used to be just fine, it will be problematic. It's entirely possible to find places on the outskirts of some places, like Georgetown, where it's not an issue, however. I wouldn't rely on online resources for this kind of info, though.

We've had no problems with coyotes (knock on wood) though there are plenty of them about. (We live north of Georgetown.) We lost quite a few chickens to raccoons, however, so if you have chickens, do your best to have them in a raccoon proof coop (harder than it sounds - those guys are smart AND have hands!). Or have a good dog or two - from what you're saying you might want a livestock guardian dog (Great Pyrenees or similar breed - I recommend Pyrs because they seem to have a gentleman's agreement with coyotes and avoid properties with them - it's almost funny to see it happen.) We've had no problem with raccoons except when we were between dogs. Donkeys are also good for coyotes - they don't like them and would just as soon kill them as look at them, and the coyotes know it.

There are several kinds of hawks, but we've not lost any chickens to them. Owls, too. Doesn't mean it won't happen; that's just our experience.

One thing you'll really need to consider is soil. For your purposes, in general (there are pockets) east of I35 is better for serious vegetable gardening, because the Balcones Fault runs more or less down I35 and west is Austin Chalk (limestone soil) and east is Houston Black (black gumbo clay that will grow anything if you can just work it). We found that chickens (in a coop at night, free range during the day) and black gumbo clay are a marvelous combination, because you can use shavings in the coop, clean out the coop two or three times a year, break the sod where you want a new garden plot, lift it, put the ingredients from the coop clean-out in and put the sod back down and let it sit for a few months and not only can you work the soil with your hands, but it will grow things to three times normal size.

You'll also want to consider taxes - this can be a biggie. If you can find a property that already has its ag exemption it can save you a bundle in taxes. If you buy a property that doesn't already have it, it generally takes five years to get one.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I believe in Texas that Counties are not allowed to have zoning. You have to be in a legally established City to have zoning regulations. So anyplace out side of the City limits you can usually have livestock with no problem. There may be some additional regulations on where you can have livestock, if it could pollute the watershed of a City in its ETJ (Extra Territorial Jurisdiction).

Old 01-11-2016, 11:41 PM

615 posts, read 781,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Quack View Post

I have a peach tree, a fig tree, a meyer lemon tree, and persimmon tree on my smallish lot... and a couple producing pecan trees, but I can't take any credit for those. They all grow well with minimal care. Loquats, plums, apricots, and sour cherries, I'm told grow well here, too.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In some of the areas you mention, no problem having limited livestock at home. (As long as you keep things clean, of course.) In others, which are being built up with subdivisions as we speak, even if it used to be just fine, it will be problematic. It's entirely possible to find places on the outskirts of some places, like Georgetown, where it's not an issue, however. I wouldn't rely on online resources for this kind of info, though.

We've had no problems with coyotes (knock on wood) though there are plenty of them about. (We live north of Georgetown.) We lost quite a few chickens to raccoons, however, so if you have chickens, do your best to have them in a raccoon proof coop (harder than it sounds - those guys are smart AND have hands!). Or have a good dog or two - from what you're saying you might want a livestock guardian dog (Great Pyrenees or similar breed - I recommend Pyrs because they seem to have a gentleman's agreement with coyotes and avoid properties with them - it's almost funny to see it happen.) We've had no problem with raccoons except when we were between dogs. Donkeys are also good for coyotes - they don't like them and would just as soon kill them as look at them, and the coyotes know it.

There are several kinds of hawks, but we've not lost any chickens to them. Owls, too. Doesn't mean it won't happen; that's just our experience.

One thing you'll really need to consider is soil. For your purposes, in general (there are pockets) east of I35 is better for serious vegetable gardening, because the Balcones Fault runs more or less down I35 and west is Austin Chalk (limestone soil) and east is Houston Black (black gumbo clay that will grow anything if you can just work it). We found that chickens (in a coop at night, free range during the day) and black gumbo clay are a marvelous combination, because you can use shavings in the coop, clean out the coop two or three times a year, break the sod where you want a new garden plot, lift it, put the ingredients from the coop clean-out in and put the sod back down and let it sit for a few months and not only can you work the soil with your hands, but it will grow things to three times normal size.

You'll also want to consider taxes - this can be a biggie. If you can find a property that already has its ag exemption it can save you a bundle in taxes. If you buy a property that doesn't already have it, it generally takes five years to get one.

Thanks for all the info on the soil! That's really great to know as well.

I don't think my husband will be very sad if we can't have cherries. (;

Old 01-14-2016, 06:06 PM

Also, if I were to try and drive into Austin from any of these areas I listed, (Leander, Georgetown, Cedar Park, Kyle, Pflugerville, Jollyville, Brushy Creek, Daffan, Littig, New Sweden, Webberville, Elroy, and Wyldwood) about how long would it take? I hear Austin has some of the worst traffic in the country. I have looked up the commute times on google maps, but I'm not sure how accurate they are taking real time into account. My husband needs to drive into the city to work, but he wants to live outside city boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin