Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:09 AM

122 posts, read 95,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was driving along 2222 today as I often do and I was admiring all of the wildflowers. I was thinking that if they cut the grass then it would look so much worse. I don't want the Dallas sterile look.

I also thought about how much money the city is saving not having to waste money on gasoline, lawnmowers, blades for the mowers, and labor, not to mention the excessive pollution caused by cutting the grass.

This is one area that I think Austin is doing well. Why waste taxpayers money on such a thing?
Ok again that is fine. We can agree to disagree. As I have said I have no issues with them not mowing the medians. The sidewalks and other areas do bug me though. Seeing weeds growing up through sidewalks and other paved areas does not scream nature or non sterile to me. Instead it points to a lack of civic pride and poor management. Nothing makes a neighborhood seem more run down and vacant then weeds growing in areas where they are not supposed to be. Again I have not been here that long and I spend most of my time in South East Austin so maybe that has something to do with it? Perhaps the "rich" sections of town look fantastic.

If we take your example to the next level, why have sewers and trash pickup? Think of the money that could be saved without those services.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:37 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqshadimar View Post
Ok again that is fine. We can agree to disagree. As I have said I have no issues with them not mowing the medians. The sidewalks and other areas do bug me though. Seeing weeds growing up through sidewalks and other paved areas does not scream nature or non sterile to me. Instead it points to a lack of civic pride and poor management. Nothing makes a neighborhood seem more run down and vacant then weeds growing in areas where they are not supposed to be. Again I have not been here that long and I spend most of my time in South East Austin so maybe that has something to do with it? Perhaps the "rich" sections of town look fantastic.

If we take your example to the next level, why have sewers and trash pickup? Think of the money that could be saved without those services.
Sewers and trash pickup are for sanitary reasons.

Long grass and wildflowers are not health hazards. Also, they smell pretty good. Sewage and trash, not so much.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:37 PM

515 posts, read 558,415 times
Quote:
Sewers and trash pickup are for sanitary reasons.

Long grass and wildflowers are not health hazards. Also, they smell pretty good. Sewage and trash, not so much.
By your reasoning, the neighbor that doesn't mow his lawn for a month has the best yard, because it's more natural and not sterile like your lawn.

Even though we're talking roadside and medians here, miles of weed infested land isn't scenic just because it had wild flowers poking up through it. Oklahoma is terrible at this, with tore up roads and tall weeds and grass coming up through cracks. The tall grass also hides the litter. Its too bad because eastern Oklahoma/western Arkansas is much prettier than central Texas, but you wouldn't know it from their ugly roads.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:11 PM

I mentioned this aspect of Austin a while back. Read for your amusement:

Do people find the "natural/unkempt" look of the freeways vegetation appealing?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:38 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
I have no problem with the lack of mowing in areas that are not normally traversed.

I think some people need to get over their strange urge that demands every horizontal surface must either be concrete/asphalt or a well-maintained lawn.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I have no problem with the lack of mowing in areas that are not normally traversed.

I think some people need to get over their strange urge that demands every horizontal surface must either be concrete/asphalt or a well-maintained lawn.
Quite a bit of difference between well-maintained and 4-5foot weeds falling over from their own weight.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 PM

157 posts, read 266,844 times
Uhhhhh,

I like wildflowers in the 360 median, but sidewalks concrete.

Am I weird? Is this weird?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
I was driving along 2222 today as I often do and I was admiring all of the wildflowers. I was thinking that if they cut the grass then it would look so much worse. I don't want the Dallas sterile look.

I also thought about how much money the city is saving not having to waste money on gasoline, lawnmowers, blades for the mowers, and labor, not to mention the excessive pollution caused by cutting the grass.

This is one area that I think Austin is doing well. Why waste taxpayers money on such a thing?
I agree. This year it may seem overwhelming because of all the rain and growth, but the wildflowers (and the savings from not having to reseed every year but to let nature do what it does) are worth it. I've also had positive comments from people relocating to the area about it once they know the reason, and many prefer the more natural, not-manicured to within an inch of its life appearance.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by je4xff View Post
Uhhhhh,

If you have to ask ...

Old 06-10-2016, 08:55 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,531,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by je4xff View Post
Uhhhhh,

Enjoy is while it lasts. They look like they are about to pave over it in front of Barton Creek Square Mall. Probably will work they're way north from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin