Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,137 times

Advertisements

Im currently a small business owner and public educator looking to move to either area. I am a white male married to a black female who is also a public educator. Im looking for somewhere that is business friendly but also open minded. My business is not location dependent but access to an airport helps. Would either area fit that description? Are there any suburbs that fit that description? *FOOTNOTES: Small business owner/ Educator in interracial marriage looking for a town to lay down roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:02 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
It really depends on what you can afford. I think either would be okay. Both are live and let live type of areas where your background has really no effect on how people see you (or based on my experience). Neither SAT or ABIA are hubs for traveling, even though they both have airports. You will either connect at DFW or Hobby.

What are some of your other needs? Budget? Types of things you all like to do? Size house? Both areas have good school districts, with San Antonio having more districts (the city is broken into several smaller(ish) districts). What is the reason behind Austin or San Antonio?

Old 03-31-2016, 07:10 PM

I have family in the area and just like the overall feel for it. I also want to be close to Venture Capital firms. I am also looking for an area that is a little more open minded. My wife and I have never had major issues in Louisiana but it would nice not having people saying things. We will rent for now until we have children but we are not looking to spend $1200+ for a one bedroom. We were looking at Dallas too but thought Austin or SA fit our needs more as we are both outdoorsy and looking to expand our startup.

Last edited by LSUAlum2012; 03-31-2016 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Additional Info

Old 03-31-2016, 07:34 PM

138 posts, read 154,969 times
Austin is probably more "startup friendly", but the money is in Dallas.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 PM

You'll get a small well maintained 1 bedroom or studio for $1200 in Austin. You can rent a nice house for $1200. Both are about equal for outdoors activities. I travel between the two frequently and don't think that it would be out of the question to live in San Antonio (maybe north east areas) and travel to Austin for work when you need to. Have you visited both? I think this is the point where it's up to you to decide between the two based on your preferences.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:23 AM

Got it. San Antonio seems a lot cheaper. Would you say some of San Antonio northern suburbs would be welcomimg to us given our backgrounds? Also, does Dallas offer a lot of outdoor activities and and a tech scene?

Old 04-01-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUAlum2012 View Post
Got it. San Antonio seems a lot cheaper. Would you say some of San Antonio northern suburbs would be welcomimg to us given our backgrounds? Also, does Dallas offer a lot of outdoor activities and and a tech scene?
You will have no problem in San Antonio. If I remember correctly there might even me a few threads regarding interracial couples in San Antonio. Head over there and read up. I'm not 100% sure on Dallas.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:46 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUAlum2012 View Post
Also, does Dallas offer a lot of outdoor activities and and a tech scene?
Depends on what you like to do outside. There are a lot of large lakes in the area, which are great for boating, swimming, fishing, etc. There's also quite an extensive trail system in Dallas & Fort Worth proper., as well as many of the suburbs. However, the terrain is flatter than San Antonio and Austin. You'll find subtle changes of terrain here and there, but definitely not mountains. Cedar Ridge Preserve/Mountain Creek/Joe Pool Lake area in southwest Dallas County is our "hill country." You'll find negative opinions on here about the outdoor scene in Dallas, but it really depends on what YOU like to do outside and how often.

Dallas does have a large tech corridor in the far northern area of the city (near 635) that is dubbed "Silicon Praire." It's also an up & coming city in terms of startups. Mark Cuban resides here after all. Many of the startups here had an issue getting the venture capital, but it's improving. Here's a great article summing it up:

Don't mess with Texas startups: Why the Dallas tech scene is set to explode - GeekWire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin