Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times

Advertisements

I had to go pick up something today and happened to drive by Mueller. I'm never out that way so I decided to drive around. Don't want to offend any Mueller residents, but I didn't like it very much. There are no trees and the houses are way close together. People that want to live in the city always complain about the cookie cutter suburbs but I found Mueller to be very cookie cutter indeed. The exteriors look nice but there are no yards whatsoever and it just seems like a big field of houses. I thought the surrounding area was a little scary. I think that the prices of the homes are kind of high for such a small little house in a not so safe area of town. What does everyone else think? Not trying to offend anyone but I was excited to see it and it left me a little disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 PM

153 posts, read 620,930 times
I also went over there for the first time just the other day. I really love the homes, they are so cute, and a very effecient use of space. I agree with you on the surrounding area though. I taught school a few miles down the road from there a while back by the BTWashington housing projects. We had lock downs and so many drug busts in that area. It will be interesting to see how the area changes over the next decade or two. I think it will appreciate, but would be concerned about what was going on down the road.
What schools will it currently feed into anyway. That would be a BIG concern if I was going to pay that much money for a home.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM

I think private school would really be the only way to go.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
We were excited about Mueller until they started building and I saw photos. When I realized there was NO yard, I lost enthusiasm. I understand it's new urbanism, whatever... I need more than a strip of grass for my kid and dog to play on. Yes, there are green areas but I'd like some green area in front and back of my house, even on the SIDES of my house too!

For the location and the fact that it's new construction, we were willing to deal with the crappy schools and possibility of crime. I just can't live on top of other people like that.

One photo I saw was from the 2nd story window and it looked right into the siding of the house next to it. That did it for me! LOL

The concept was nice, but execution... hmm... and of course I haven't even seen it in person.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
There is NO YARD because that is what urban dwelling is like in most cities. It's intentional.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,769 times
Personally, I think the main issue with Mueller is the high price point. The no yard/small houses/etc is the whole idea, but you'd think the "pioneers" would get a bit of a better price since they are taking a decent risk buying there.

A few years ago, that whole area was much cheaper. Since they announced Mueller, the area has had a big price appreciation, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me at the current price level.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
There is NO YARD because that is what urban dwelling is like in most cities. It's intentional.
I live in downtown Atlanta, I have a yard. It's not big, but it's bigger than the Mueller yards. I realize it's intentional. I'm just saying it's not for me.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM

I agree with you atlanta hope. Plus, most city houses do have yards, take Hyde Park for example. For that price you better get some type of yard. They aren't condos, they are homes. So, where's the yard? They should have called it a condo community.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
That's what the plan was for..high density since it's urban and suburban.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 PM

It's not really urban. It looks totally suburban except for the lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin