Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:58 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times

Advertisements

Yeah I can see that but that's not we he asked. He asked about areas and if they fit his likes/budget. Not whether he should move to Texas or stay in LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 PM

8 posts, read 9,573 times
I need to be in Texas for my job and Austin was my first choice of places to move to in Texas

Old 05-12-2016, 10:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Im not sure we have the volume of entertainment options that you are used to LA. Why do you want to move to austin from LA?
There are much bigger cities such as Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth and a slightly bigger one called San Antonio. But for Texans who don't know California very well, Austin is overhyped and Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio don't exist or aren't in Texas judging by the way Californians describe Texas and Austin in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcomfort View Post
I need to be in Texas for my job and Austin was my first choice of places to move to in Texas
Sorry to hear that!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
All the areas you mentioned are great. I'd add Crestview. UT has lots of interesting lectures to go to, the arts scene is growing (nothing like NYC, CHicago, LA or even San Antonio for that matter, of course, but still good), the LBJ Musuem always has interseting exhibits plus permanent collection (last year they did Beatles, the 60s and currently have something on Vietnam), the Harry Ransom Center at UT has great shows, photography, art, artifacts, etc. You should consider joining the Blanton Musuem. Lots of bars have trivia nights, there's always good music whatever your tastes and so on!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:32 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Hi all!

Me and my roommate are moving to Austin from Los Angeles (specifically West Hollywood) and wanted some suggestions for areas to look for an apartment.

- Both of us are ~30, male and single.
- I am PhD and love reading and writing.
- I am very liberal/progressive and an activist / organizer from time-to-time.
- I will be working from home (I need to be located in Texas) and my roommate buys/sells collectibles and is an artist.
- I work out at a gym on a daily basis.
- I want to be able to walk (or at least be a short drive from) to cafes/stores/restaurants.
- We want to go out to bars/clubs/music venues and meet new people.
- Since both of us work from home, I really want to find a place that has a decent amount of space.
- I currently pay $1500 a month for an apartment in LA and don't mind spending that much or more on an apartment in Austin.

I have heard good things about East Austin, South Congress, South Lamar, Clarksville, Downtown Austin, Zilker/Barton Hills, Mueller, Allandale,Hyde Park but am open to other suggestions.
If you can find an affordable place within a four- or five-mile radius of the state Capitol you will be fine. That covers it all. Everything outside of that would be considered the suburbs. Basically.

These days, the cheapest areas for centrally-located rentals in Austin are in the North central corridor: Crestview, Rosedale, North Loop, and Hyde Park. This is mainly because they have had a good stock of rental housing for many years. Many of the apartment complexes are small and were built in the 60s.

Does that answer your question?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:51 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Austin is an amazing city. I'm thinking of making the move myself to the hill country but I'm originally from Houston and am now living in LA. But I have to say that if you're looking for a dynamic arts scene and coffee shops while Austin has them Houston, the forgotten city, has all that and more. It's a huge cosmopolitan intensional city. The inner loop has comparable amenities to LA. I would rate it closer to LA than Austin which would be like moving to San Jose or Sacramento.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,203 times
OP, you might want to read this recent post from another LA person determined to move to Austin who seemed to be looking for a lot of the things you are. They ended up visiting first (during arguably the most fun time of year with the most decent temperatures) and changed their mind after seeing what Austin is really like from their LA perspective. http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...l#post43338679 Personally, it sounds like you'd be happier in Houston or even Dallas. The cost and availability of housing is much better there as well.

Last edited by A-Tex; 05-13-2016 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 11:18 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
OP, you might want to read this recent post from another LA person determined to move to Austin who seemed to be looking for a lot of the things you are. They ended up visiting first (during arguably the most fun time of year with the most decent temperatures) and changed their mind after seeing what Austin is really like from their LA prrspective. http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...l#post43338679 personally, it sound like you'd be happier in Houston or even Dallas. The cost and availability of housing is much better there as well.
great post, that about sums it up.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
great post, that about sums it up.
I agree good post. And good riddance to the LA guy. He's prolly not even from LA but another wanderer searching for his shangrila. Those types ruin everything about a burgeoning city. So he was bored? In Austin? Where people are very extrovert and there are a number of outdoor recreational activities? Bored? Was he expecting to do lines of coke with hot twenty somethings in a delusional fantasy that they're living the life they do on tv? It's insane to meet the expectations of people like that.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:53 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Just trying to communicate that I am well-educated and am interested in readings, events, book stores, etc.

Is this a millennial thing?

I am interested in medicine = I'm a Medical Doctor? / Culture and reading interest me = I'm a PhD.

How odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin