Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 AM

31 posts, read 30,472 times

Advertisements

Are there good tennis camps for high school kids in Austin? My son has been playing for 6 years so he is looking for a camp that includes advanced level. We have tried the NIKE tennis camp in Portland in the past. He was placed in the advanced group with only a few other players so this time I am looking for a more challenging camp for him. NIKE does not have a tennis camp in Austin either. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:54 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,787,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2016 View Post
Are there good tennis camps for high school kids in Austin? My son has been playing for 6 years so he is looking for a camp that includes advanced level. We have tried the NIKE tennis camp in Portland in the past. He was placed in the advanced group with only a few other players so this time I am looking for a more challenging camp for him. NIKE does not have a tennis camp in Austin either. Thanks!
Are you looking for a week long camp? (or through the summer?)

Newks in New Braunfels is fun & tennis intense & would have some very high level players.

Here in Austin, there are several academies. (ATA, MAC 360, Grey Rock, Lakeway, Polo Club in Dripping, Berry Creek in Gtown.)

The week & half between the 1st & the 9th of June (at all of these) will be intense for most of these as kids prepare for the Grand Slam.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Oh! Thanks for the info. We won't be there till mid June. I am looking for multi-week camp for July and August.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 PM

1,781 posts, read 957,674 times
Here is the link for the John Newcombe Tennis Ranch. It is in New Braunfels which is about 45 minutes from Austin. Not sure it is what you had in mind though. My friend is sending her son there this summer and it gets good reviews. Good luck!

https://www.newktennis

Old 05-20-2016, 05:38 PM

Thanks! I will look into it.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,787,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin2016 View Post
Oh! Thanks for the info. We won't be there till mid June. I am looking for multi-week camp for July and August.
Austin2016, if you want kiddo to have a "summer camp" experience (staying on site), Newks would be a great camp with high quality tennis. (but with a $700-$800 per week price tag). My kid did a week there 3 years ago and had fun.

Also, given your possible rental location, (& maybe you don't want kiddo gone for 3-4 weeks and don't want to invest 2.5K - 3K for a 3 -4 week summer tennis camp).....you might want to look at Mac 360's summer program. It's at the Courtyard (near the bridge & the corner of 2222 & 360).

http://www.mac360tennis.net/Programs...2016summer.pdf

http://www.mac360tennis.net/

Looks like their summer advanced class meets Monday - Thursday (mid day - from 11:30 - 2pm). The coaches (Sean, Neil and Toby) are good teachers (& great guys) & your kid might be a fit there. Plus he'll meet kids who play tennis at many of the local HSs. (& MAC has a $75-$100 per week price tag.)

Also, there are lots of townhomes & luxury apartments nearby (it's a beautiful area). This is the general area (depending on what school you want kiddo to attend) where I had recommended that you rent.

Note:
- The Courtyard is technically in AISD - tracking to Anderson HS. But:
- Live one mile south & you are in Eanes ISD - tracking to WLake HS.
- 3 miles west & you track to Vandegrift HS (LISD)
- 3-4 miles north & you track to WWood HS (in RRISD).

All 4 HSs are schools on your short list. I would print off ISD Maps and put them on a table side by side & see where different neighborhoods track to different schools & districts. Interestingly all four ISDs (with the best HSs in each district) all kind of meet at that spot.

If you decided to live further south (next to WLHS), then possibly Grey Rock or ATA have summer programs (but both are kind of a commute each way....& wouldn't be my first choice for logistical & other reasons)

I'm still planning out the summer for my kid, but will likely have him hit at MAC one (or two) days a week (during weeks he's not competing).

Last edited by hound 109; 05-24-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM

hound 109, thank you so much for the information! The rental info is such a needed advice in addition to the tennis camps. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin