Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:55 PM

25 posts, read 22,349 times

Advertisements

We are moving to N. Austin this fall from NE Texas. My husband is Swedish, but has lived in Texas for the past 7 years, before that we lived near his family west of Stockholm.Would be great to find other Swedes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:43 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,071 times
SACC-Texas | SACC - TX

Old 07-07-2016, 08:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
According to the "First ancestries reported" list here, there are 5,017 people listed as Swedish in Austin.

http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...tin-Texas.html

Old 07-07-2016, 08:37 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
We've purchased four Volvos since we moved here; but that's the closest I've come to meeting anyone from Sweden(except one visitor on a bicycle ride a few summers back).

ETA: I remember bicycling around New Sweden; but I never gave much thought to the name. Seems the church there was started in the latter 1800s by...wait for it...Swedish immigrants. The church mentions some direct descendants are current members of the congregation. Could be a starting point for a great conversation!

Just a quick drive east of the north Austin area...maybe 30 minutes or so...into the flatter farming and ranch land that stands in contrast to the hill country...windy as heck for a bike ride as I recall!

http://newswedenelca.org/taxonomy/term/7

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 07-07-2016 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 12:22 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
We've purchased four Volvos since we moved here; but that's the closest I've come to meeting anyone from Sweden(except one visitor on a bicycle ride a few summers back).

ETA: I remember bicycling around New Sweden; but I never gave much thought to the name. Seems the church there was started in the latter 1800s by...wait for it...Swedish immigrants. The church mentions some direct descendants are current members of the congregation. Could be a starting point for a great conversation!

Just a quick drive east of the north Austin area...maybe 30 minutes or so...into the flatter farming and ranch land that stands in contrast to the hill country...windy as heck for a bike ride as I recall!

About Us | New Sweden Evangelical Lutheran Church
Hey.... that's just 4-5 miles east of Pville (Kelly Rd. at 130) down a couple of country roads.

Now two things that the Swedes are good at & are known for (along with having great tennis players from the 70s & 80s)..... are 5' 9" blondes and Swedish Meatballs..... & both of these are good things. But I'm not allowed to enjoy the former & danged if I know where I can find the latter. (Since the Ikea cafe is the only stinking place in town that sells them ready to eat).

So..... if Lisele doesn't want to open up a Scandinavian restaurant (once she gets down here)....let's get that Swedish Church to offer a Swedish Meatball meal once a week (or once a month). I'd be all over that....heck, I might even sit thru a service to get them.

What do you think Coach ??

Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Haha! I don't think I've made Swedish meatballs for about 15 years and it was for a girl scout troupe when I was home for a visit here in Texas. My Swede's favorite dish I make is my Chili or my Chicken Spaghetti.

Thanks for the links. Hopefully we will be able to find friends (swedish or otherwise) once we move. It's one thing our life is sorely lacking here in NE TX.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:15 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisele View Post
Haha! I don't think I've made Swedish meatballs for about 15 years and it was for a girl scout troupe when I was home for a visit here in Texas. My Swede's favorite dish I make is my Chili or my Chicken Spaghetti.

Thanks for the links. Hopefully we will be able to find friends (swedish or otherwise) once we move. It's one thing our life is sorely lacking here in NE TX.
You mention moving to north Austin...those of us in north north Austin are exceedingly friendly; so I can't imagine you will have any trouble making friends.

My Darling and I had two trips "planned" to visit Sweden to pick up a new Volvo and drive around for a week or two and have it shipped back. Then, life interfered and the trip(s) never happened. It "could" still take place in a year or two, IF Volvo brings one particular model to the US(not sold here now, even though it is in nearby countries). They don't make our favorite convertible any more, so it's even less likely than before...Dang.

hound, IKEA pretty well lost me when they posted 30.06. I'll compromise my principles; but not for a meatball

Old 07-08-2016, 07:55 AM

668 posts, read 784,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Hey.... that's just 4-5 miles east of Pville (Kelly Rd. at 130) down a couple of country roads.

So..... if Lisele doesn't want to open up a Scandinavian restaurant (once she gets down here)....let's get that Swedish Church to offer a Swedish Meatball meal once a week (or once a month). I'd be all over that....heck, I might even sit thru a service to get them.

What do you think Coach ??
My high school boyfriend was from Sweden; we're still friends and our parents are still very good friends. His parents still lived here until about a decade ago, but I recall them saying there wasn't a very big Scandinavian community here. (More Norwegians than Swedes then, for some reason.) That may have changed.

Hound & Coach, I'm coming on this Swedish meatball trip! Love them.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
(More Norwegians than Swedes then, for some reason.) That may have changed.
Norwegians will work too!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:22 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Send me a direct message when you get to town. I have good friends in N Austin where the husband is Swedish and they all lived together in Sweden for a while and then came back home about 4 years ago, the American wife is fluent in Swedish as well. They are well connected in the Austin Swedish community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin