Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times

Advertisements

I didn't go there often, didn't even know they were closed this year; but it did seem to fit the 'character' of old Austin as it is described by some. Yes, it is/was a chain(I didn't know that, either); but it reminded me of a couple of places in my hometown in the '60s and '70s...right down to the crazy parking! Oh, well...

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/re...acement:slot-1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
At least it will live on when you watch Friday Night Lights! (Featured often in the first season).

We went there often, after school events, lunch on half days, I will really miss it. I could have a salad and wine, the kids could eat curly fries and chicken strips! And the milk shakes were great. It was popular with law enforcement, UT, Seton employees, McCallum and Austin high kids. I was there about a week before the fire! Not knowing it was the last ever time.

I did know it was a chain, sad to hear that two of the four SA locations have closed too! We saw the demolition equipment there yesterday. EZ was part of my kids' childhood. Sniff, goodbye EZ's.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Never heard of EZ's, but that building used to be 2-J's Hamburgers - an Austin icon from the 1950s through the '70s. We used to take our kids there now & then so they could eat a little burger & shake while sitting on a plastic horse outside. This pic was taken before they expanded it a bit in the '60s:

Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Haven't been there since leaving the downtown area, but it was always a good stop back in the day.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Never heard of EZ's, but that building used to be 2-J's Hamburgers - an Austin icon from the 1950s through the '70s. We used to take our kids there now & then so they could eat a little burger & shake while sitting on a plastic horse outside. This pic was taken before they expanded it a bit in the '60s:

Ah, that explains some of the 2-J's references in the comments to the story above. 2-J's was decades before our arrival in Austin.

Maybe I should take my birthday gift from Jim's and grab lunch today. Visit another Texas icon to commemorate the official passing of EZ's

Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,212 times
Never fear. They'll probably replace it with a much needed mattress store -- because Austin doesn't have enough of those.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:12 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Never fear. They'll probably replace it with a much needed mattress store -- because Austin doesn't have enough of those.
There is already a mattress store on the closest corner! I think it is going to be some kind of bar, I heard something about a "Cheers" concept but I blocked it out . . . cause this is Austin, not Boston but apparently The Great Homogenization is underway again.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:59 PM

25 posts, read 24,156 times
The EZ's in Dallas might still be open.

Goff's Hamburgers up that a way burned down two weeks ago, no bueno.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
There is already a mattress store on the closest corner! I think it is going to be some kind of bar, I heard something about a "Cheers" concept but I blocked it out . . . cause this is Austin, not Boston but apparently The Great Homogenization is underway again.
It's a Rosedale joke. Every time some long time business is shuttered, it seems like a mattress store gets put in its place -- no matter how many others exist in the immediate area. (And yes, there's one right there where Silk Roads used to be as well as one across the street where Clarksville Pottery used to be.)

Old 08-24-2016, 03:00 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
It's a Rosedale joke. Every time some long time business is shuttered, it seems like a mattress store gets put in its place -- no matter how many others exist in the immediate area. (And yes, there's one right there where Silk Roads used to be as well as one across the street where Clarksville Pottery used to be.)
Huh, we have the same joke in Wooten.

Who the hell buys all these mattresses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin