Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 06:13 PM

30 posts, read 76,507 times

Advertisements

We are a SoCal family (San Diego) looking for a change. Before I fork out money to come visit Austin, I thought I'd describe what I'm looking for and hope that you guys can tell me if I'm going to find that in the Austin area! My husband grew up in the DFW area. We feel that it's too church centered and not really what we're looking for. We are secular homeschoolers. We're republicans, however we are fairly socially liberal. We are looking for a more affordable cost of living (isn't everyone that thinks of Texas?), deeper connections with people, a more southern lifestyle (but without bible thumping...is that possible?), and we like the homeschooling/vaccination laws (or lack thereof) in Texas. Commute is not an issue. Is the Austin and surrounding suburbs welcoming to newcomers? Are people casual and real? Is there a rich homeschooling life outside of the inner city? We would like at least a half acre with a pool (not a tract home, unless the lots are far apart and it doesn't feel tracty) for under $700K. We don't want to live in an area with tons of construction and new development. We just aren't connecting with the community well here and feel like Austin might be a good mix of Texas tradition meets Portland food/culture. Does that sound stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 06:31 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,139,852 times
that sounds about right for austin.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 PM

30 posts, read 76,507 times
Are there a lot of snakes and creepy insects in this area? We have rattlesnakes here which I hate. I'm wondering if there are scorpions and other giant bugs that are super common there, especially in nature areas or possibly on our land. What about watersnakes?

Any hope of finding good Mexican food?

Old 02-05-2017, 07:50 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,139,852 times
there is some actual mexican food, but not a lot. San antonio is better for that.

there are a lot of snakes and insects. But in 20 years I have only seen 1 rattle snake and 1 tarantula and I spend several days per week in the forest. The scorpions are tiny and I have had maybe 4 in the house, mainly right after it was built.

If you have the outside of your house sprayed quarterly, you wont get many bugs in the house. I did have a 3 inch tree roach land on my head inside the house the other day. First time that has happened.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:16 PM

997 posts, read 1,313,752 times
I think you'll be fine but there are plenty of snakes and lizards. We enjoy seeing those. We don't enjoy the large tree roaches (2 inches +) that show up inside sometimes.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM

668 posts, read 784,762 times
It is my guess that you are probably not going to find precisely the homeschooling community you're looking for in the suburbs here. I know several homeschooling families who live outside of Austin proper, on small acreage, etc. They are all doing so for religious reasons. One is Mormon, the others are evangelical. The other homeschoolers I know are city-dwellers who are extremely crunchy and very liberal and are opting out of public school for different reasons, largely idealogical or political.

Also, you should be aware that most of the Austin-area pediatricians and larger pediatric practices within regional clinics are beginning to refuse to accept unvaccinated kids. My SIL is a pediatrician finishing her residency at Dell Children's Hospital right now, and we've talked a lot about this. Texas may be non-vaccination-friendly, but Austin is becoming decidedly less so.

Areas outside of town where you can get a non-tract home on at least a half acre with a pool under $700K are going tend to trend overall towards conservative (good for you) AND religious. I am thinking about Georgetown, Dripping Springs, Liberty Hill, Lakeway, Leander, etc. These aren't Bible belt exactly, but to they are not what I would call unreligious either.

Everytime I have lived outside Central Austin proper I have encountered scorpions, tarantulas, AND rattlesnakes. If you want to live on semi-acreage in a non-tract-home suburb, you're going to have snakes for sure. Get into more of the Hill Country area, and you will definitely have scorpions. I've lived in rural Oak Hill and Manor, and had both in both areas.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:26 PM

53 posts, read 61,856 times
I live on 2.5 acres in Leander and consider myself a liberal/non religious individual. I know there are others in my neighborhood that are similar. I don't know about home schooling as I have no children but there is a middle school and high school right next to my neighborhood. As far as insects go-yes we have a lot of them, but I enjoy nature and love watching the spiders, bees, scorpions, wasps, roaches etc.. go about their business. I have always loved insects and animals (probably why I became a vet.) If you don't like them I would not move to the country (which I do consider Leander more of the country even though I am only about 20 minutes from downtown Austin).

Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 PM

384 posts, read 981,502 times
We moved here from San Diego a few years ago, and I'm seeing fewer insects and snakes. In San Diego, the weather is so nice that we would leave our sliding glass door open all the time, and so we saw many more critters in the house. Outside, I saw a water snake in a pond. Not much else except for fire ants. Luckily, fire ants make their presence known with their dirt mounds, so you can mostly avoid them.
I live in Cedar Park in a suburb. It's waaaay more religious than I expected or am used to. Just about everyone goes to church. Kids at school have asked my kids why they don't believe in God (never happened in San Diego). But there are some non-religious types, too.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:29 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,364,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinPDX View Post
We are a SoCal family (San Diego) looking for a change. Before I fork out money to come visit Austin, I thought I'd describe what I'm looking for and hope that you guys can tell me if I'm going to find that in the Austin area! My husband grew up in the DFW area. We feel that it's too church centered and not really what we're looking for. We are secular homeschoolers. We're republicans, however we are fairly socially liberal. We are looking for a more affordable cost of living (isn't everyone that thinks of Texas?), deeper connections with people, a more southern lifestyle (but without bible thumping...is that possible?), and we like the homeschooling/vaccination laws (or lack thereof) in Texas. Commute is not an issue. Is the Austin and surrounding suburbs welcoming to newcomers? Are people casual and real? Is there a rich homeschooling life outside of the inner city? We would like at least a half acre with a pool (not a tract home, unless the lots are far apart and it doesn't feel tracty) for under $700K. We don't want to live in an area with tons of construction and new development. We just aren't connecting with the community well here and feel like Austin might be a good mix of Texas tradition meets Portland food/culture. Does that sound stupid?
Actually, D/FW is more diverse, and moderate in political thought than you believe. First, because its the biggest business hub outside of NYC and Chicago, there are a LOT of transplants from everywhere.
Second, a lot of those transplants are from diverse backgrounds, Indians in particular, have been a huge influx group. Dallas and FW mayors are basically moderate thinking public servants. Plano, a large Dallas suburb with significant corporate offices has a minority mayor. There area's voting patterns show areas were Trump won and areas where Clinton won. Typically, is west Texas towns and small east Texas cities where more conservative thinking is evident.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:38 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,403,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinPDX View Post
Are there a lot of snakes and creepy insects in this area? We have rattlesnakes here which I hate. I'm wondering if there are scorpions and other giant bugs that are super common there, especially in nature areas or possibly on our land. What about watersnakes?

Any hope of finding good Mexican food?
there are rattlesnakes and scorpions in the Austin area.There are cottonmouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin